2020 Offseason Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Hagg for Hoglander. Straight up. You can do it Jimmy!!!

spUx.gif

When you can add bad defenseman via trade, you’ve just gotta do it. Jimmy know this. Good ole Jimmy

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Did you see what Barzal did to the Flyers? Flying through the NZ, getting the Flyers’ D on their heels? The Flyers had no one who could do that. That’s what Ehlers would bring. (Also what Gaudreau would bring.)

The Flyers had multiple players who did that when they returned to their regular season style of play for overtimes.

When the coach has the team play safe hockey to try and avoid losing, the result is a team on its heels. We watched this for years with Hakstol.

Reactions: Striiker

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Barzal shows up in the playoffs, Ehlers and Gaudreau don't, that's a huge difference.

What makes Barzal special isn't his skating, skating is overrated in the playoffs, it was his puck handling, it's almost impossible to knock the puck off his stick, when the windows get smaller, the ability to handle contact and maintain possession becomes more important.
Barzal got a huge play up by the media early one in the POs but how did Barzal fare against the Lightning? TB decided to let him skate around on the perimeter. Rarely did they assign a particular player to chase him around the ice like the Flyers ineptly did. Net result, against TB, he had three assists in five games and no goals being a minus on the ice. He is a fast and quick player no doubt but his outside shot is nothing to fear. The playoffs often expose how to defend a player in the future as the Penguins did with Gostisbehere a few years ago. I'll be surprised if more teams don't use the TB system to defend against him and also go at him on offense to make him work at both ends of the ice in order to wear him down.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Barzal got a huge play up by the media early one in the POs but how did Barzal fare against the Lightning? TB decided to let him skate around on the perimeter. Rarely did they assign a particular player to chase him around the ice like the Flyers ineptly did. Net result, against TB, he had three assists in five games and no goals being a minus on the ice. He is a fast and quick player no doubt but his outside shot is nothing to fear. The playoffs often expose how to defend a player in the future as the Penguins did with Gostisbehere a few years ago. I'll be surprised if more teams don't use the TB system to defend against him and also go at him on offense to make him work at both ends of the ice in order to wear him down.

I don't know how much was TB shutting down Barzal or his teammates being overmatched.
The first and third lines held their own, but the Nelson line was owned.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Laine might get you 3-4 more goals on the PP, but he's unlikely ever to duplicate his sophomore season again (20 PP goals), fluke years like that are rarely repeated. So if he replaced a 6-8 goal guy and give you 10-12, what's that worth?

At even strength, he's a net liability, even if you adjust for him scoring above his expected value. He's that bad defensively.

Ehlers is a better player than Laine, but he's still more scorer than player, and has been around long enough that it's unlikely to change - with Barzal, you have someone who accepted Trotz and worked at becoming a top two way center. Same with Nico. Their numbers may never be as flashy (Barzal lost 20 points a season with Trotz as HC), but their overall impact is greater.

And yes, once you get to 20-30 games, a lack of playoff production should be concerning, it suggests your skills may not translate to an environment with smaller windows and more physical play - whereas someone like Point, despite his slight frame, has 15 ES goals in 41 playoff games.

Ehlers is certainly not great defensively, but he’s not Kyle Connor bad either.

I don’t want to pay the expected cost for really any Winger either, but if an Ehlers is available at a price that makes sense, the Flyers don’t have nearly enough skill to be that picky about someone that good offensively in so many dimensions.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I get your point, but Ovechkin won a Cup. So did Patrick Kane. So did Tarasenko. Briere was a great playoff player. Kucherov is no defensive stud. You can win with one or two of those guys if they’re good enough offensively.

While this is true, thus far Laine is not those guys at all but would very much like to be paid like he is.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ehlers is certainly not great defensively, but he’s not Kyle Connor bad either.

I don’t want to pay the expected cost for really any Winger either, but if an Ehlers is available at a price that makes sense, the Flyers don’t have nearly enough skill to be that picky about someone that good offensively in so many dimensions.

What would that be?
Would you trade TK even up? (yes)
One of the three young defensemen? (no)
Frost and a 1st? Farabee and a 1st?

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Why.....did they just re-sign Alex Lyon? Boo

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I believe teams think the need for 3-4 goaltenders now is more relevant than ever. Especially with the uncertainty of next year. He will more likely be waived and play for the phantoms.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The Flyers had multiple players who did that when they returned to their regular season style of play for overtimes.

When the coach has the team play safe hockey to try and avoid losing, the result is a team on its heels. We watched this for years with Hakstol.
I disagree. They never had anyone who could carry the puck with the speed & dynamism of a guy like Barzal.

Reactions: orangey

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
While this is true, thus far Laine is not those guys at all but would very much like to be paid like he is.
Sometimes you have to take a chance, as those type players are rarely available. And Laine only finished his 21 y/o season. If you wait until he is one of those guys, then you ain’t getting him.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Lol someone on Facebook asking if

Patrick, Ghost, Frost, 1st pick, 1st pick gets it done for Laine.

Another fan saying the jets better get back

Konecny, Sanhiem, Patrick, Frost for Laine.

What the hell! Maybe if Patrick was healthy, we can trade Frost to upgrade the wing if it made sense. But even still these proposals are insane. That’s almost the entire future for a wing

Reactions: BernieParent

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Hagg for Hoglander. Straight up. You can do it Jimmy!!!

spUx.gif

When you can add bad defenseman via trade, you’ve just gotta do it. Jimmy know this. Good ole Jimmy
god damnit i want hoglander so bad. That guy is going to be goooooooooood

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I disagree. They never had anyone who could carry the puck with the speed & dynamism of a guy like Barzal.

And yet Voracek, Giroux, and Couturier have all done that. As well as Ghost. And Provorov at times, too.

You didn't see it because the coach had them play a horrible style. Coaching and play style matter a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia