2020 Offseason Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’m accepted the fact that we will never acquire a player I hope for.
7636160b094af5fb99b86af41be1b5ef.png

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Are there any UFAs that people are interested in?

At first I had interest in Koivu on a 1 year deal if Patrick isn't deemed fit to play.

Now i'm thinking we should just roll with what we have regardless of Patrick's status. We'd still have 4C options in Bunnaman and Laughton.

If we trade Ghost, i'd like us to bring in a left-handed version of Braun to pair with Friedman on the bottom pair. Short term deal to bridge the gap to Zamula/York.

We'll need a backup goalie too.

Last edited:

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Are there any UFAs that people are interested in?

Well, I mean, I'm interested in Pietrangelo, but he's not coming here, so what does that matter?

We need a backup G, so if we could swing Greiss, sure; if not, I'm fine with Elliott coming back.

Outside of that, not at the NHL level. I'd like a couple AHL vets who don't look out of place in the NHL in an emergency.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Looking at the list, few fit our needs at the right price.
Koivu, C, is a possibility.
Erik Haula C is worth a look, bad injury but he'd be two years away come January.

Dylan Demelo, 6'1 192, RH, might fit at 3RHD if the price is right.
For those who harp on Ghost being 10th in Norris voting in 2017-18, we can replace him with Schultz who was 10th in 2016-17. He's better than Demelo, RH, 6'2 192, but struggles staying healthy.

Trevor Van Riemsdyck is another low cost, 3RHD possibility if Braun doesn't return.

If they keep Ghost, there's always Zach Bogosian or Gudas to pair with him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Looking at the list, few fit our needs at the right price.
Koivu, C, is a possibility.
Erik Haula C is worth a look, bad injury but he'd be two years away come January.

Dylan Demelo, 6'1 192, RH, might fit at 3RHD if the price is right.
For those who harp on Ghost being 10th in Norris voting in 2017-18, we can replace him with Schultz who was 10th in 2016-17. He's better than Demelo, RH, 6'2 192, but struggles staying healthy.

Trevor Van Riemsdyck is another low cost, 3RHD possibility if Braun doesn't return.

If they keep Ghost, there's always Zach Bogosian or Gudas to pair with him.

Friedman for 3RD.

Replace Hagg with a complete 3LD to pair with Friedman.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
likely better off with just Ghost Friedman

Oh for sure. Don't get me wrong. I want to keep Ghost and use him as 3LD and PP1. But if I were him, I would have asked for a trade as soon as the season ended and the organization should either commit to playing him or oblige a trade request. Not fair to the player.

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild
May 26, 2012
Can’t we just fill “needs” with internal solutions. Must we run out and sign retreads just to fill slots that can easily be solved by Frost, maybe Patrick, Friedman, Zamula, Bunny... isn’t Allison 22 now- does he need to be 24??

Let these guys play, let the first half of the season be an audition, and if you must, make a couple moves at the deadline.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Can’t we just fill “needs” with internal solutions. Must we run out and sign retreads just to fill slots that can easily be solved by Frost, maybe Patrick, Friedman, Zamula, Bunny... isn’t Allison 22 now- does he need to be 24??

Let these guys play, let the first half of the season be an audition, and if you must, make a couple moves at the deadline.

Yeah we really dont need to sign anyone.

We definitely dont want Chuck making deadline moves either though.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd rather add the extra player now, then trade someone at the TDL once we know who the top 13/7 are, then fall short and have to overpay at the TDL.

Friedman and Bunnaman are big question marks, they have promise, but if Friedman was so good, how come he never got a legitimate shot in 2018-19? I mean there was plenty of opportunity to play a rookie, but whereas Hagg and Morin (slated to play if he didn't blow out his knee) got to play, Friedman's been buried in the AHL. So color me hopeful but skeptical.

Bunnaman bounced back last year, but will only be 22, so it's not a lock that he's ready to start, especially in the playoffs, He has some talent, but he's not that good that he couldn't use more seasoning.

So if I can add a reliable 3RHD or a veteran center like Koivu on a one year, relatively inexpensive deal, well, crap happens.

What I don't want to see is signing someone to serious money or term who isn't a significant upgrade in the top 9. We have plenty of bottom six types, more of the same is a waste of resources. Koivu is different if the price is right b/c he's still a top defensive center and won't block Bunnaman or Rubtsov or . . . long-term.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
If we move hagg I'd like to bring in another d Tvr would fit as a low cost option.
If they persue a center I think Fletcher will definitely talk to koivu given their history.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Allison will turn 23 in 3 weeks.

Laczynski is 23.

Sandin is 24.

Bunny is 22.

Kase is 23.

We don't need anyone else.

With how screwed up the college season is, maybe we'll even sign Cates. That's another instant possible NHL option.

They're all either too old at this point, because if they haven't cracked it yet, they never will, or they're too young and need more development time to be ready, my man.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Koivu is not Thompson.
Thompson at his best was a solid 4C, but that was 4-5 years ago.
Koivu at his best was a 1C, and maybe the best defensive forward in the league for a number of years.
He played 15:34 last year, though only 11:36 in the playoff.

Question will be cost and term, if I'm Fletcher, anything over a one year deal I hang up, same with anything over $2M.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Allison will turn 23 in 3 weeks.

Laczynski is 23.

Sandin is 24.

Bunny is 22.

Kase is 23.

We don't need anyone else.

With how screwed up the college season is, maybe we'll even sign Cates. That's another instant possible NHL option.

Allison and Laczynski are close, but is Laczynski a 4C or RW? Cates is probably a little behind them. In a normal season, they'd start in the AHL, and if they took off, get promoted.

Sandin is a RW.
Kase is in the Czech league, he might come back, but where does he fit? 4C? or top 9? If they have a season.
Sushko is another with a big enough role in the KHL that he could show he's NHL ready.
Twarynski made the team out of camp last year and had a solid AHL season, he shouldn't be written off.

Bunnaman played well when he returned, but wasn't PO ready, his good metrics came at the cost of anything resembling offense, his 0.79 pp/60 was terrible. He was too conservative, which suggests a lack of confidence when to take risks.

Flyers should be a playoff team this coming season, an insurance policy wouldn't be the worst thing. They have a lot of promising young forwards, but the above group can't be considered locks for 2020-21.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Jets are looking for a number 2C and Top 4 D for Laine.

does this get it done?

Patrick (?)
Ghost
Pick(s)
+

NO. DON'T WANT LAINE, PERIOD.

If your goal is to win a Cup, you don't want to pay big money to scorers who don't play defense.
Flyers were 8th in goals scored last season, Patrick may return, Frost and Farabee should be better, Brink is around the corner and the bottom six is getting younger, deeper and faster. And the young D-men should improve as O-zone attack guys.

So move on. Nothing here to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino