Post-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Trade Deadline II

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Ryan O'Reilly is an above average 1C - and in the playoffs, he was elite.
Are you referring to the guy is on his third team
The point of the conversation do you need elite centers
He was great last playoff but I wouldn’t call him elite

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Just a bit of friendly advice, ease back a bit on the definitive statements, if they are controversial.

1) Bobby Orr was one heck of hockey player, eh? -- You won't get grief for this, outside of people asking why you need to state the obvious. Definitive? Yes. Necessary? Not really. Likely to get you roasted? Nah, just some gentle nudging.

2) Outside of Carlo, Sweeney has not added one impactful player. Definitive? Yes. Necessary? I guess so if you want to get people going after you. Likely to get you roasted? People a little strung out post TDL. Lions might just see the hyena stroll by and say "tomorrow -- can't be bothered today".

I guess we'll see.:popcorn:
I appreciate that. I think all the trade day hype had me pumped that Sweeney would have realized by now what it takes to win a cup. Especially after seeing it first hand last year. We have needed that player for four years now. Kreider was out there. So were others. I much rather would have used the first rounder plus plus it would have took to overwhelm the Rangers,then worry about the money to sign Krug over the summer. Tells me winning it all may not be the main motivating factor under this management. I love Krug and want him signed. But lets cross that mountain when we get to it. Anyway point taken and thanks.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Brandon Carlo is not an impact player.

and to play devils advocate, Bruins were a bit lucky he was still there to pick.
Defensemen usually take a bit longer so remember we are talking about a 23 year old
We all should agree he is on the right track

Reactions: Strafer and duffy

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Brandon Carlo is not an impact player.

and to play devils advocate, Bruins were a bit lucky he was still there to pick.

So the Bruins were lucky to get a non-impact player when they did? Can you say "self-contradicting"? I thought you could.

And Carlo was one of the players listed by the OP. I was just correcting who actually drafted him.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
My bad he drafted Carlo. That makes two yes. Other then that he has not added an impact player. I am a new poster yes but i am not responsible for any other posters views.

Charlie McAvoy not an impact player? You aren't very good at this, are you?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I appreciate that. I think all the trade day hype had me pumped that Sweeney would have realized by now what it takes to win a cup. Especially after seeing it first hand last year. We have needed that player for four years now. Kreider was out there. So were others. I much rather would have used the first rounder plus plus it would have took to overwhelm the Rangers,then worry about the money to sign Krug over the summer. Tells me winning it all may not be the main motivating factor under this management. I love Krug and want him signed. But lets cross that mountain when we get to it. Anyway point taken and thanks.
I get what you're saying, and I think a lot of people are disappointed that neither Kreider nor Palmeiri came through. I can imagine Sweeney is among that group.

However, Kreider didn't go anywhere. Colorado was in need and had the assets and oodles of Cap room, but didn't/couldn't do it. Boston needed to move Backes first to even have a shot -- and with that went our 1st rounder. Add to that Kreider was a UFA rental trade? Just not in the cards.

Can say the same for Palmeiri. If he went somewhere for a deal we could/should have beat? Fire away. But he didn't.

Reactions: Strafer

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I get what you're saying, and I think a lot of people are disappointed that neither Kreider nor Palmeiri came through. I can imagine Sweeney is among that group.

However, Kreider didn't go anywhere. Colorado was in need and had the assets and oodles of Cap room, but didn't/couldn't do it. Boston needed to move Backes first to even have a shot -- and with that went our 1st rounder. Add to that Kreider was a UFA rental trade? Just not in the cards.

Can say the same for Palmeiri. If he went somewhere for a deal we could/should have beat? Fire away. But he didn't.

My favorite TDL post of all time was few years back. The poster was screaming about Sweeney not getting player XYZ, and was asked how was he supposed to get that player when he wouldn't fit under the cap. The poster replied, "How should I know? I'm not an NHL GM!"

That's the TDL in a nutshell right there.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
My favorite TDL post of all time was few years back. The poster was screaming about Sweeney not getting player XYZ, and was asked how was he supposed to get that player when he wouldn't fit under the cap. The poster replied, "How should I know? I'm not an NHL GM!"

That's the TDL in a nutshell right there.
:laugh: That's beautiful!!!! :laugh:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I think you mean Washington for Kovalchuk.

Regardless, did Bergevin really take less to accommodate Kovalchuk????? If so, that's mind boggling -- for two reasons:

1) If Bergevin really wants to sign him as a UFA for next season he's an idiot. Montreal needs so much more than Kovalchuk at real money.
2) If #1 isn't true and Bergevin wasn't blowing kisses up Kovalchuk's ass to get him to re sign in July, then who gives a shit about what Kovalchuk wants. Has he really earned that much respect from Montreal in two months or whatever it's been?!?!?!

God I hope Montreal leaves Bergevin in place. I do miss the Habs being a factor just for the hate perspective, but I'm still happier with them being irrelevant than a danger. And Bergevin, IMO, guarantees that.

Either way, I'm glad Kovalchuk is not in Boston. I'll never know for sure, but in my book he's not a good fit for this team.

Bergevin said he had a maybe offer from a team that Kovy didn't want to go to so he took the sure thing and let Kovy go where he was more willing to go. It's not what it's been made out to be. And there was no offer from the Bruins as per Kovy.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
So now instead of losing one asset you lose two. It worked out real well for Vegas, I don't see that happening with Seattle.
It depends how much you want the player. I always said it’s impossible outsmarting every GM .Just can’t win every deal but win most

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
It depends how much you want the player. I always said it’s impossible outsmarting every GM .Just can’t win every deal but win most

Well if I'm going to be made to take Moore, a meh player, who is going to be 30
at 2.75M, over a young rugged Lauzon who'll be 23 at .85M , it's going to take a pretty good sweetener.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Bergevin said he had a maybe offer from a team that Kovy didn't want to go to so he took the sure thing and let Kovy go where he was more willing to go. It's not what it's been made out to be. And there was no offer from the Bruins as per Kovy.
Thanks. That makes more sense. I thought we were spinning off into crazy land!

Reactions: JOKER 192

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Are you referring to the guy is on his third team
The point of the conversation do you need elite centers
He was great last playoff but I wouldn’t call him elite

I am pretty sure BUF would take O’Reilly back in a heartbeat if they could. Also, I think most GM’s would rate O’Reilly as a top tier two way center in the league. There is Crosby...and then there is Bergeron, Barkov, Kopitar and O’Reilly. Jonathan Toews was similar during their cup years.

So, maybe you don’t need Connor McDavid or Crosby at 1C to win a cup. But you also don’t win with Derek Stepan or Charlie Coyle as your 1C either.

Reactions: Strafer

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
3 of whom he did not draft. This is still Chiarelli's team for the most part. Sweeney has never landed an impact player in a trade. 5 years now. Not one impact player. He has failed to fill the Lucic slot. Lets face it, Sweeney has done done a whole heck of a lot to win the cup since inheriting a Stanley cup nucleus.
How is this (incorrect) statement relevant to the conversation you tagged? Original poster was stating the core is “aging”. I was pointing out that the core has expanded and doesn’t have one foot off a cliff.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
How does Sweeney fit Kreider’s contract in without moving Backes, how does Backes move without the 1st? How does he acquire Kreider when he was resigned? Whiners. Be the first to complain if Sweeney had moved Studnicka Vaakaneinen Bjork + for Kreider and the Bruins bowed out in round 2 of the playoffs and Sweeney had no money to resign him

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Just so we know the ground rules here, what is your definition of "an impact player"?

Sorry for me interrupting but I’ll give it a try.

A player you can build around

A player who’s really talented

A player who respects the organization he plays 4

A player who’s teammates respect

A player who can take criticism from coaching

A player who is around win or lose answering questions from media with respect

A player who’s good in the community

A player who puts team before his stats or salary

If I missed any feel free.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad