Post-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Trade Deadline II

ylekot

Still evaluating..
Feb 2, 2010
Paxton Massachusetts
I love what he did, but he could’ve got Palmieri. I guess Fitzgerald was being a duche, but it doesn’t seem like Sweeney wanted to go all in. Didn’t have a 1st to give, but couldn’t he sweeten the pot somehow? Great GMs find a way to get what they need. Seems like Sweeney & Fitzgerald have some personal issues
Hell I wanted Evander Kane so take what i say with a grain of salt. I like the upside of what Sweeney did, he added two young guys in his top 9, and he didn't lose any of his top tier prospects . Most of all I like the fact that he freed up money to spend on a guy like Krug.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They upgraded the #1 team in hockey and nobody of significance got moved elsewhere for anything I would want the bruins to do- again I do not understand this notion that they aren’t “in it to win it”. Somebody please explain it to me.

I feel like some of you would be ok with them doing stupid trades just to make a trade. Then they’d be totally #InIt to #WinIt. It’s such a radio talk show take. Kind of like “this Sox team isn’t LIKABLE though” on the scale of radio nonsense people like saying. Like what in the f*ck are we talking about here?

Bruins are a top tier team, but a team who’s #2Rw weakness everyone can point out, it’s just so damm clear.
So obvious.

Sweeney is betting on cheap projects to fix it late in the season.
These were offseason risk moves made on deadline, I like the 2, nothing against them on their own but dammit they have 20 points on the season.

Massive pressure on Kase to find a new gear quick

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I think we’ll see Sweeney focus on drafting a few centers this year. Studnicka & Frederic seem like potential roster guys. After that it’s thin. If Krejci’s last season is 2020-21, a new center should become a focus. Be it internally or otherwise.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Bruins are a top tier team, but a team who’s #2Rw weakness everyone can point out, it’s just so damm clear.
So obvious.

Sweeney is betting on cheap projects to fix it late in the season.
These were offseason risk moves made on deadline, I like the 2, nothing against them on their own but dammit they have 20 points on the season.

Massive pressure on Kase to find a new gear quick

I am pretty sure the belief is that they will both benefit and thrive in a different environment. Yeah the 2RW is a weak spot, and you can bet Sweeney and Cam know it. On the other hand, we have nothing at stake proposing moves and wishing this or that happened. Sweeney's job is on the line every time he does something like this and he has to think three steps beyond the moment. The only real "big splash" move that could have been made it turns out, is Kyle Palmieri and I am fine with Sweeney having nothing to do with what New Jersey wanted for him. Who else was there? Lots of names get chucked around the forum and in the media, but how many were actually available and what was the ask? You don't fill a hole by making another.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Only you can do this, my friend. If you want to be convinced this trade deadline was good, you're on your own, because no one will be able to do that if you have made up your mind that it sucks.

Instead, try this: don't be one of those "fans" that always has to complain about something. The team will never go 82-0 and sweep four series' in a row on their way to the cup. The Bruins are made up of, coached by, and run by human beings who will make mistakes, have bad days, and tough moments. It is what it is. Enjoy the game of hockey. Support the team we have, look for the good in it all and, stop finding things to criticize or speculating about what might have been or what might happen.

There are plenty of things to be disappointed by- a 9-3 loss to the Canucks, losing game 7 to the Blues, the coaching tenure of Dave Lewis, the Jumbo trade, etc. Be disappointed and then dust it off and get ready for the next game :)

Mods, can we sticky this post on every thread?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
its interesting to hear thornton actually say he wanted to get traded to a contender and no one went knocking on his door

a little sad... but interesting

cant help but think he would have been an upgrade for our 13th forward and some good insurance against an injury to one or more of our big 3 centers

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I am pretty sure the belief is that they will both benefit and thrive in a different environment. Yeah the 2RW is a weak spot, and you can bet Sweeney and Cam know it. On the other hand, we have nothing at stake proposing moves and wishing this or that happened. Sweeney's job is on the line every time he does something like this and he has to think three steps beyond the moment. The only real "big splash" move that could have been made it turns out, is Kyle Palmieri and I am fine with Sweeney having nothing to do with what New Jersey wanted for him. Who else was there? Lots of names get chucked around the forum and in the media, but how many were actually available and what was the ask? You don't fill a hole by making another.

So would you agree these are more of season moves?
2 projects who could grow throughout the year and see what you have?

Now they need to be what they haven't been playing against the best night in night out in the playoffs.
They better make sure their confidence is sky high.

Toffoli+Kase+ Ritchie wouldn't have killed this team, would have still left them with 3/4 top prospects and the 1st in 21, and given them a much more proven winger to take pressure of the kids.

You already saw how everyone jumped on Ritchie for not destroying everyone yesterday.

Bergeron won't be Bergeron forever.

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
Disappointing if the Bruins didn’t make a run at Thornton. Feel like Joe could provide as much if not more than Ritchie this season, could have kept Heinen as depth into the playoffs and got a puck in the off-season or kept him if he turned the corner.

Really hope he can latch on to a contender next season if he still decides to play.

what a story that should have been.
Disappointing if the Bruins didn’t make a run at Thornton. Feel like Joe could provide as much if not more than Ritchie this season, could have kept Heinen as depth into the playoffs and got a puck in the off-season or kept him if he turned the corner.

Really hope he can latch on to a contender next season if he still decides to play.

what a story that should have been.

Could care less about the ‘story’ but plant me firmly in the camp that he absolutely could not help whatsoever. Honest question when’s the last time you saw the guy play?

Read the San Jose board where he’s basically Santa Clause....they are beyond done with him. He’s the single most cooked player I’ve ever seen at the NHL level at any time ever. He’s like 5 seconds behind every play, can’t skate a lick. Finito

Reactions: LouJersey

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Sounds like you equate impact with offense.

That's funny you mention Krug, who is the singlemost sheltered defenseman in the NHL in terms of zone starts and 5v5 / PP usage. Don't get me wrong. I love Krug, but you can't have him in the top 4 without Carlo along with him.

McQuaid was a bottom pairing D with significantly limited playmaking ability. He kept it simple and honest and played to his strengths.

Brandon Carlo is a horse. Sometimes when you watch him retrieve the puck, pivot, turn up ice and gallop...you forget he is 6'5". He still has plenty to work on...but he is already vital to this team.

It would be one thing if Carlo was playing a depth role...but he is playing a huge amount of minutes in a top 4 role. He's making an impact all the time - to the benefit of his more offensively gifted linemates.

I don't equate impact with offense at all.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So would you agree these are more of season moves?
2 projects who could grow throughout the year and see what you have?

Now they need to be what they haven't been playing against the best night in night out in the playoffs.
They better make sure their confidence is sky high.

Toffoli+Kase+ Ritchie wouldn't have killed this team, would have still left them with 3/4 top prospects and the 1st in 21, and given them a much more proven winger to take pressure of the kids.

You already saw how everyone jumped on Ritchie for not destroying everyone yesterday.

Bergeron won't be Bergeron forever.

I don't know- I think Toffoli might have been a good pickup, but I am happy with the moves. Perhaps they would have been better in the off-season, I think you might have a point, but I am good with not paying ridiculous prices for a 2nd line guy. Possibly there was something about Toffois the Bruins didn't like at that price, or it could be that the Kings liked what was on offer from the Canucks better. That is another thing that makes this hard to evaluate from a fan standpoint. There is a general assumption that "Sweeney should have landed that guy" as though whatever he wants he can get, but who knows, maybe he tried and failed. We'll never know what offers were rejected in favor of something else.

In the meantime, I am expecting Bjork's game to grow, Ritchie to settle in and do fine, and Kase to provide that scoring punch that we need on Krejci's line. It could all be a big fail but it's too early to tell.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Why on earth is that “letting us all down”?

Maybe Boston didn’t want Joe. And if so, that is an entirely defendable position.
I think it is indefensible. You can't tell me that and inspired Joe Thornton who while he is in the Twilight of his career is still a top-notch offensive player, wouldn't provide us more in secondary scoring then what guys like Anton bleed are doing. To think they could have had that for virtually nothing is mystifying to me. When there are injuries and there will be he would have been a valuable piece to have around for what he would have cost.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Only you can do this, my friend. If you want to be convinced this trade deadline was good, you're on your own, because no one will be able to do that if you have made up your mind that it sucks.

Instead, try this: don't be one of those "fans" that always has to complain about something. The team will never go 82-0 and sweep four series' in a row on their way to the cup. The Bruins are made up of, coached by, and run by human beings who will make mistakes, have bad days, and tough moments. It is what it is. Enjoy the game of hockey. Support the team we have, look for the good in it all and, stop finding things to criticize or speculating about what might have been or what might happen.

There are plenty of things to be disappointed by- a 9-3 loss to the Canucks, losing game 7 to the Blues, the coaching tenure of Dave Lewis, the Jumbo trade, etc. Be disappointed and then dust it off and get ready for the next game :)

Really good post. It's such obviously good advice that it's surprising that some don't get it and continuosly complain. I don't have your patience—I just toss them on Ignore and I don't have to deal with the negativity.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't know- I think Toffoli might have been a good pickup, but I am happy with the moves. Perhaps they would have been better in the off-season, I think you might have a point, but I am good with not paying ridiculous prices for a 2nd line guy. Possibly there was something about Toffois the Bruins didn't like at that price, or it could be that the Kings liked what was on offer from the Canucks better. That is another thing that makes this hard to evaluate from a fan standpoint. There is a general assumption that "Sweeney should have landed that guy" as though whatever he wants he can get, but who knows, maybe he tried and failed. We'll never know what offers were rejected in favor of something else.

In the meantime, I am expecting Bjork's game to grow, Ritchie to settle in and do fine, and Kase to provide that scoring punch that we need on Krejci's line. It could all be a big fail but it's too early to tell.

There was no crazy price for Toffoli.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
All depends how you view the pieces acquired. Ritchie v Heinen is a classic case of two guys needing change of scenery and complete opposites, but clearly both third line wingers on this team. The net gain/loss will be negligible. It all depends how you feel about Kase. He has a range of always injured to future core piece mainstay on the right side. Team is better than it was, adding Kase for Backes, but is it "play-off" good enough? We will see.

first round looking at Leafs/Cats or Jackets, Flyers, Isles, Carolina, Rags or Cats. Would like to avoid the Rangers, Isles or Canes, but Bruins should beat whomever (on paper of course)

round 2 TB or whomever... very difficult...

round 3.. Washington is no gimme with that goaltending....Pens are up and down....

SC...money is on Dallas, St Louis or Vegas...just from what I have seen they are the most equipped for the play-offs...and all would be tough matchups...

Ramblings aside this team is in very good position to win it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: ylekot

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
its interesting to hear thornton actually say he wanted to get traded to a contender and no one went knocking on his door

a little sad... but interesting

cant help but think he would have been an upgrade for our 13th forward and some good insurance against an injury to one or more of our big 3 centers

We usually disagree on the whole "veteran" thing but in this case, hindsight being what it is, I would of brought in Thornton to center the 4th line given the cost would of been practically nothing. Pushed Kuraly to the LW and dropped Kuhlman to the RW on the same line. Deeper, more well rounded line, insurance in case of an injury to one of the big 3 centers. I could care less about this "energy line" foolishness.

That being said, as some have stated, Thornton was never coming back here.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Devils held out for a first and no one came calling. They were in a unique position with Palmieri. They can hold onto him for a year and do it all over again in a year and get a first.

My partner tells me the Bruins were the front runners. But it just wasn't enough for NJ to say "yeah. let's pull the trigger now."

I don't usually admit this because I am a very patient person, but I am pretty disappointed.

Four days later and I still feel like Sweeney needed to make it happen and make it enough.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I think it is indefensible. You can't tell me that and inspired Joe Thornton who while he is in the Twilight of his career is still a top-notch offensive player, wouldn't provide us more in secondary scoring then what guys like Anton bleed are doing. To think they could have had that for virtually nothing is mystifying to me. When there are injuries and there will be he would have been a valuable piece to have around for what he would have cost.
A list the issues that were listed as Boston's needs at TDL. Both by posters here and just about any hockey analyst you want to read/listen to. In no particular order:

1) 2nd line right wing.
2) Physical/surliness.
3) Depth D -- preferably with #2.
4) Secondary scoring.
5) Getting rid of Backes Cap

The only category that Joe would maybe help with would be #4. But if a Center was on that topic list, I missed it. You think Jumbo was all in for 4th line duty and no PP time?

Why didn't TBL, STL, COL, WAS, PIT, VGS, or VAN pick him up for virtually nothing? They are all viable contenders and it certainly sounds like Joe wanted a kick at the can and would have said yes. Is the decision made by those 7 teams indefensible as well?

Reactions: Chief Nine

Richard Lather

Jan 28, 2020
I cannot believe that people are going off on Sweeney for trying to get guys like Simmonds or Thornton.

Boston wants to skate fast and transition quickly while playing with structure. It's no coincidence the best teams in the east are the ones that play with pace. Tampa, Washington, Pittsburg, and sure throw Toronto and the couple Metro teams fighting for a wild card spot, they all are good skating teams.

Slow players don't work with Bostons line up, theres a reason guys like Kuhlman keep making their way into the line up even though they don't put up points much.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I cannot believe that people are going off on Sweeney for trying to get guys like Simmonds or Thornton.

Boston wants to skate fast and transition quickly while playing with structure. It's no coincidence the best teams in the east are the ones that play with pace. Tampa, Washington, Pittsburg, and sure throw Toronto and the couple Metro teams fighting for a wild card spot, they all are good skating teams.

Slow players don't work with Bostons line up, theres a reason guys like Kuhlman keep making their way into the line up even though they don't put up points much.

how do you explain Nick Ritchie then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad