Post-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Trade Deadline II

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
I healthy pasta and marchand last year, we’re defending champs. So ... the have to bigger, badder folks sorry.
Got some cap flexibility.
kudos to backes for moving.
Solidified lineup.

i’d say DS did better to keep bruins relevant and competitive (his job security) long term than getting that coveted piece for now.
Kase may prove that theory wrong.

Reactions: BMC and TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I agree with you. I think Kase is a steal. Nick Ritchie brings exactly what this team has been lacking the whole year. They get both these guys for next year as well. Backus contract is all but gone. I don't know what else Don Sweeney could have done other then getting Coleman.

Not knowing, but it wouldn't surprise if Sweeney and Company were the reason Tampa gave up what they did to get both Coleman and Goodrow. Two players who the Bruins more than likely were in on, driving up the price, causing Tampa to pay what they did, as they didn't want a repeat of 2019.

Its overlooked but that's part of having a good deadline as well. Now lets just hope those guys are non-factors going forward, or at least not much of one. :laugh:

bruinsfan

Aug 2, 2005
Not knowing, but it wouldn't surprise if Sweeney and Company were the reason Tampa gave up what they did to get both Coleman and Goodrow. Two players who the Bruins more than likely were in on, driving up the price, causing Tampa to pay what they did, as they didn't want a repeat of 2019.

Its overlooked but that's part of having a good deadline as well. Now lets just hope those guys are non-factors going forward, or at least not much of one. :laugh:

I think we give Sweeney too much credit for driving prices up. It seems like we we're in on about half a dozen players and landed not a single one we were in on. To me that seems like he couldn't close the deal.

I don't see how Sweeney was driving any prices up with no first rounder and from the looks of it no one wanted to negotiate with him but Anahiem

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You don’t necessarily need a franchise center
What you do need is at least three solid center that can be responsible at both ends of the ice
Look who won the Stanley Cup last year

So no teams don't need a #1C?
For sure don't agree there.

RoR was a ppg 2way beast, let's not ignore that.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
My understanding of advanced stats is limited, but I was bored and figured I'd try and use them to look at our trades. If i'm off on these and their meaning, please let me know. Stats are at 5v5 since the 2018-2019 season

Kase vs Heinen
PlayerG/60A/601A/60Pts/60Shots/60ixG/60iCF/60iSCF/60iHDCF/60Rush /60Rebounds/60Giveaways/60Takeaways/60Hits/60Shots Blocked/60
Ondrej Kase0.871.10.761.9811.280.8619.599.833.951.220.522.152.441.451.4
Danton Heinen0.521.030.591.556.050.5110.85.862.470.440.411.812.13.172.47
Delta0.350.070.170.435.230.358.793.971.480.780.110.340.34-1.72-1.07
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Takeaway - Kase is the better goal scorer (no surprise there) and generates significantly more shots/60. Not only does he generate more shots overall, but he also generates more Scoring Chances, High Danger Scoring chances and shots off the rush.

Now looking at his most common linemates this year according to LWL (Steel and Jones) vs who I expect he'll play with (Krejci and DeBrusk)

Goals/60Total Assists/60First Assists/60Total Points/60Shots/60SH%ixG/60iCF/60iSCF/60iHDCF/60Rush Attempts/60Rebounds Created/60Giveaways/60Takeaways/60
0.621.280.741.890.757.54-0.090.16-1.77-1.770.470.08-0.641.1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Takeaway - Kase should have more opportunities to get assist as DeBrusk/Krejci produce more G/60. He'll also be playing with two better setup men and should see an increase in goal scoring because of it. I was surprised to see though that Krejci and DeBrusk were worse in scoring chances for and high danger scoring chances. Hopefully the addition of Kase can improve that.

Ritchie vs Backes
PlayerG/60A/601A/60Pts/60Shots/60ixG/60iCF/60iSCF/60iHDCF/60Rush /60Rebounds/60Giveaways/60Takeaways/60Hits/60Shots Blocked/60
Nick Ritchie0.581.110.721.696.260.7111.086.943.950.190.721.981.259.251.98
David Backes0.340.60.340.949.460.6214.026.242.820.60.871.482.4110.262.21
Delta0.240.510.380.75-3.20.09-2.940.71.13-0.41-0.150.5-1.16-1.01-0.23
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Takeaway - Ritchie while taking less shots/60 has produced better offensive numbers. For a guy his size I like that his High Danger Chances are better, but his Rush & Rebounds shots per 60 was lower. Also surprising is that Ritchie gives up the puck more, takes it away less, throws less hits and has slight fewer blocked shots. Ultimately though Backes wasn't playing here so really anything is a plus lol.

Now looking at his most common linemates this year according to LWL (Henrique & Terry ) vs who I expect he'll play with (Coyle & Bjrok)

Goals/60Total Assists/60First Assists/60Total Points/60Shots/60SH%ixG/60iCF/60iSCF/60iHDCF/60Rush Attempts/60Rebounds Created/60Giveaways/60Takeaways/60
0.130.09-0.180.241.271.59-0.060.99-1.03-0.690.010.110.410.08
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Takeaway - offensively IDK that Coyle/Bjork are that much of an upgrade over Henrique/Terry. They generate more shots, but less scoring and high danger scoring chances. There isn't a huge difference in scoring chances on the rush or rebound chances. The duo of Bjork/Coyle also turnover the puck more than Henrique/Terry. I'm not sure how much of a change we'll see in Ritchies numbers as his former linemates seem comparable to his new linemates.

Reactions: Smitty93

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
You don’t necessarily need a franchise center
What you do need is at least three solid center that can be responsible at both ends of the ice
Look who won the Stanley Cup last year
Yeah, the last 15 years kind of disagrees with you. Last year was the exception. Washington (backstrom) Pittsburgh (Crosby/Malkin) Chicago (toews) Los Angeles (Kopitar) Boston (Bergeron) Detroit (datsyuk/zetterberg) Anaheim (Getzlaf). Going back to 2007 every team had a franchise center. So no, I guess you don’t necessarily need one, but it sure helps to have one.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I think we give Sweeney too much credit for driving prices up. It seems like we we're in on about half a dozen players and landed not a single one we were in on. To me that seems like he couldn't close the deal.

I don't see how Sweeney was driving any prices up with no first rounder and from the looks of it no one wanted to negotiate with him but Anahiem

Im not to sure, any of what you said is true. You really believe no one wanted to deal with Sweeney? I mean even if you detest him, You would want to put the screws to him and make him look bad. Assets the Bruins have plenty that other teams would want, so I really don't see this as being remotely close to the truth.

What players were the Bruins in on that he couldn't close on and other teams were able too, and if no one was negotiating with him besides the ducks how could he close on any one to begin with ???

Anyways Im sure glad he wasn't the one who "closed out" the deal that gave the Sharks a first round pick for Barclay Goodrow.

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
"Riley 88 "I agree. I think it is time for ownership and or Neely to find a guy who can capitalize on this nucleus. Sweeney has blown it the last four years. His FA signings have been brutal, his drafting has not been great. The whole world knew he should have taken Barzal or any number of three or four others. His arrogance was sickening. He cares more about his own ass then he does the team and fans. He cleared money to sign Krug. Who cares. Just this year, 3-4 guys have been traded that are exactly what we have needed. This guy cant or wont get it done. He is tiring already. How many kicks at the can with this team does he get without going for it. He needs to go. He failed again yesterday. Big fail.

What is your other user name?

lol. Your hysterical. Very cute schtick. Adorable really.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Your list changed now.

I love Coyle but none of the guys you mentioned can be expected to be franchise C’s.

The core otherwisecis elite, just lacking at the lost important position

Bergy turns 35 this summer, there’s not many years left at 1C
Did anyone predict Bergeron and Krejci would become cornerstone centers? Krejci started out in Providence. Bergeron was drafted 45th overall. Did you know they’d become the Bruins #1 and #2 centers?

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
The craziest shit I'm reading here is people giving DS props for cleaning up an ill advised mess he made in the 1st place. I'm always wery when a team turns their back on a player, kind of like the Bruins did with Lucic. Such was a similar case with Backes. The Bruins new Lucic was cooked as the Blues knew Backes was cooked. Now if you want to ignore the red flags and you give a guy $$ and term to boot, stands to reason that at least you don't make the f*cking contract buyout proof as well. That is some real dumb shit he did there.

So now as the window is quickly closing he's giving away 1sts to correct a very avoidable mistake. So after losing in last years PO's were it was evident that the Blues deployed a strategy that was basically to injure their opponents he acquired a player who has had a history of getting injured often to fill a void there is no sign he can fill. Sounds right? Sorry if I'm not impressed.
In the end, Kase will be worth more than a 1st. How can you say there is no sign he can fill the position? Twice he was on pace for 30 goals. That’s a sign. Marcus Johansson was injury prone as well when Boston got him, and still he did well here. Wish Kase health and a Pasta like success.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
I agree with you. I think Kase is a steal. Nick Ritchie brings exactly what this team has been lacking the whole year. They get both these guys for next year as well. Backus contract is all but gone. I don't know what else Don Sweeney could have done other then getting Coleman.
I love what he did, but he could’ve got Palmieri. I guess Fitzgerald was being a duche, but it doesn’t seem like Sweeney wanted to go all in. Didn’t have a 1st to give, but couldn’t he sweeten the pot somehow? Great GMs find a way to get what they need. Seems like Sweeney & Fitzgerald have some personal issues

Reactions: ylekot

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
In the end, Kase will be worth more than a 1st. How can you say there is no sign he can fill the position? Twice he was on pace for 30 goals. That’s a sign. Marcus Johansson was injury prone as well when Boston got him, and still he did well here. Wish Kase health and a Pasta like success.

I do wish him well, I'm just not convinced. Let's hope he can stay healthy for starters.

Reactions: Shoebottom88

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Dreger was saying this morning that the Rangers were fully ready to trade Krieder but decided to sign him because offers were just not enough.

LavioletteScores

Nov 20, 2011
What other choice does he have ? He butchered it Today.

I'm more of in the 'meh' category in regards to Sweeney's TDL. I can't say he butchered it until I see what the outcome is playoff-wise. Kase and Ritchie could provide the spark we need. They might not. We don't know.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I understand Sweeney could have done a bit more but he upgraded the roster and shed salary for the off-season. All this talk about how much better other teams got, did they? The Pens picked up an aging Marleau then traded a good young player in Kahun for some decent depth (Sheary/Rodrigues). Tampa made two nice pickups in Coleman/Goodrow but I think that's similar to what the Bruins brought in, and they spent a lot more on those pickups. Washington picked up Kovy and Dillon, but again, is that really more than what Boston did?

This team came 1 game from winning the cup last season and that was with their top line getting absolutely killed all series long in the finals. If the top line had performed even at an average pace they win the cup. In addition to that, the team has improved the bottom 9 compared to last season.

Marchand-Bergeron Pastrnak vs. Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Kuhlman/Backes vs. DeBrusk-Krejci-Kase
Heinen-Coyle-Johansson vs. Ritchie-Coyle-Bjork
Kuraly-Acciari-Wagner vs. Kuraly-Wagner-Kuhlman

The forward lineup this season is better, their defense and goaltending has been performing at a similar level (if not better with how Rask has played). They have a good a chance as any to win it all this season and shored up cap space to re-sign Krug this off-season. Sweeney deserves some flak for the Backes signing, as having to use an asset in dumping him likely hampered them for another move, but overall I think he did a good job and like the direction this team is going.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

gotta be honest friend, likely the best thing to happen was this breakdown as I was finding myself growing frustrated at some of the posts here long before either of the new B`s have even pulled a jersey over their heads:laugh:

Really surprised a team like the Flames did so little at the deadline with the position they are in.

Can`t really judge the B`s yet, looks like they addressed some needs but again, until we see the newest former Ducks play, hard to say

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I have an idea- why don't we see how the new guys play before grading the trades???? :sarcasm:
Well that's logical, sensible, and sane. And I think it makes perfect sense if that's your thing.

But isn't it better to make wild speculations, projections, and predictions of doom, malfeasance, and disaster?!?!?

So far in these threads I've read, some truly extraordinary stuff. The kind of stuff that makes me laugh, and then makes me worried when I realize that people aren't joking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->