Post-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Trade Deadline II

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
You're leaving out Madden who is an absolute stud of a prospect.

Yeah I was thinking who a comparable for the Bruins might be and perhaps Beecher? So you give up a 2nd, Chris Wagner (?), Beecher and conditional 4th round pick which we would assume is paid because the Bruins would have probably re-signed him. That is quite a haul for that level of player.

Then you probably don't get Backes moved because that cost a 1st as part of the deal- cap implications aside, Sweeney goes into the draft without a 1st, 2nd, and 4th which I don't think is reasonable to expect. It just wasn't going to happen at that price and I totally get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Over the volcano

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
You're leaving out Madden who is an absolute stud of a prospect.

edit- You want to match that then figure at least Studnicka, Nordstrom and a 2nd

Madden is no more of a sure thing then Bjork
and plenty of people here think Bjork isn't going to
be a top 6 player.

Van obviously thought so to with Madden. Easiest thing to
do is call prospects in the NCAA "studs".

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I'm not the biggest Ritchie fan either. That ones a bit of a head scratcher to me.

Only thing I can think of is they still see upside in Ritchie since he's young where as Thornton and Simmonds are both on the verge of retirement.

This isn't relevant to the thread, but your username is flat out cool as hell. Carry on

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Madden is no more of a sure thing then Bjork
and plenty of people here think Bjork isn't going to
be a top 6 player.

Van obviously thought so to with Madden. Easiest thing to
do is call prospects in the NCAA "studs".
Funny how the times change - used to be that the easiest thing was to write off NCAA prospects. This kid's the real deal though, if you're in the area you should try to get out and see him play if he can make it back before the seasons out. He drives that team and they're a damn good club - it will be interesting to see what they do without him for a bit.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Those who want to pick apart the trade deadline moves and non moves might be interested to know that according to TSN it looks like Josh Anderson is going to be shut down for the year and will probably have shoulder surgery.

I mention this because there were many posts on our Boards during the TDL mania saying Boston should get Anderson, this is what it should take to get Anderson, if Kreider costs X we're better off getting Anderson, Anderson is no good for playoffs, Anderson is skating and about to come back, Columbus isn't selling low, ....... etc,....... etc.

Nothing wrong with that. It's great. It's what we are here for to discuss possibilities, rumors, opinions, etc. And some of what we surmised was probably even on target.

I only mention it to put things in perspective. We've seen some "should have paid the price for Palemeiri" -- "should have ponied up for Toffoli", etc., since the close of the TDL. Which, again, is all fine and good. However, the news on Anderson just underscores AGAIN that we don't know who wanted what, who values what player at what level, who wants to trade within conference and who doesn't, exactly what team's Cap situation is by the minute, etc., etc.

After all, if the news that Anderson was done escaped the experts on TSN and Hockey Central who constantly put his name out there, how the hell can I know what Fitzgerald and Sweeney's Palmeiri discussions involved or even if they got past preliminary discussion.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Those who want to pick apart the trade deadline moves and non moves might be interested to know that according to TSN it looks like Josh Anderson is going to be shut down for the year and will probably have shoulder surgery.

I mention this because there were many posts on our Boards during the TDL mania saying Boston should get Anderson, this is what it should take to get Anderson, if Kreider costs X we're better off getting Anderson, Anderson is no good for playoffs, Anderson is skating and about to come back, Columbus isn't selling low, ....... etc,....... etc.

Nothing wrong with that. It's great. It's what we are here for to discuss possibilities, rumors, opinions, etc. And some of what we surmised was probably even on target.

I only mention it to put things in perspective. We've seen some "should have paid the price for Palemeiri" -- "should have ponied up for Toffoli", etc., since the close of the TDL. Which, again, is all fine and good. However, the news on Anderson just underscores AGAIN that we don't know who wanted what, who values what player at what level, who wants to trade within conference and who doesn't, exactly what team's Cap situation is by the minute, etc., etc.

After all, if the news that Anderson was done escaped the experts on TSN and Hockey Central who constantly put his name out there, how the hell can I know what Fitzgerald and Sweeney's Palmeiri discussions involved or even if they got past preliminary discussion.

The Devils/Bruins thing works both ways though...you'll never know what was wanted or what was offered. Could very well be you would be saying "Damn, surprised Sweeney didn't do that" if you knew, or maybe "Why the heck was Fitzgerald asking for that much?"... Bottom line is it's the same thing every year.... all across the league "Prices were high"...meaning the players were obtainable, just not for what the acquiring GM's wanted to pay.. I mean, we all thought Backes and a first would bring back like a 3rd rd pick tops....but look what we got.... Goodrow and a 3rd for a 1st? What? Then you have deals like the Namestnikov one where all he got was a 4th when people had a 2nd and prospect in their offers..

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The Devils/Bruins thing works both ways though...you'll never know what was wanted or what was offered. Could very well be you would be saying "Damn, surprised Sweeney didn't do that" if you knew, or maybe "Why the heck was Fitzgerald asking for that much?"... Bottom line is it's the same thing every year.... all across the league "Prices were high"...meaning the players were obtainable, just not for what the acquiring GM's wanted to pay.. I mean, we all thought Backes and a first would bring back like a 3rd rd pick tops....but look what we got.... Goodrow and a 3rd for a 1st? What? Then you have deals like the Namestnikov one where all he got was a 4th when people had a 2nd and prospect in their offers..
Agree completely. Almost impossible to dissect what happened even after the fact. I have no idea if any or all of the parties were being reasonable or not.

It's also amazing that we all debate draft picks and what their futures look like. Hell, this and other trade deadlines show that there is still wide variation in valuations of players that have been in League for multiple seasons already.

I still maintain that I'd be willing to pay good money and sign an ironclad NDA just to be able to sit in the war room at TDL. Be fascinating.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Agree completely. Almost impossible to dissect what happened even after the fact. I have no idea if any or all of the parties were being reasonable or not.

It's also amazing that we all debate draft picks and what their futures look like. Hell, this and other trade deadlines show that there is still wide variation in valuations of players that have been in League for multiple seasons already.

I still maintain that I'd be willing to pay good money and sign an ironclad NDA just to be able to sit in the war room at TDL. Be fascinating.

it sure would. That’s a fabulous idea actually

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
Very curious about what went down re Joe Thornton after hearing his comments. Not sure if any of our insiders have any info they could share. It just doesn’t make sense to me. You can’t honestly tell me you’d rather have par lindholm on the fourth line over Thornton. If one on our top three centers goes down in the playoffs I’d rather have Thornton play up then see Kuraly or lindholm up there. Another veteran voice in the room is never bad. The motivation factor to get him a cup. It just all seems to make too much sense. Joe Thornton for a 6th rd pick. So what went wrong? Just feels like a huge “what if” missed opportunity

I absolutely would rather have Par Lindholm then him. He’s the worse skater in the NHL by far. I keep asking this question but no one wants to answer...when is the last time you saw him play hockey?? I don’t claim to be an expert but I know when someone is completely and utterly washed up and that’s Thornton and honestly I would have been sick had we added him for free.

Let’s not add players off our romanticized past memories of them of for sentimental reasons, let’s try to ice the best team. There is a 0% chance that he could help a contender hence every contender having no interest

Edit: and I generally don’t have much use for Lindholm

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Funny how the times change - used to be that the easiest thing was to write off NCAA prospects. This kid's the real deal though, if you're in the area you should try to get out and see him play if he can make it back before the seasons out. He drives that team and they're a damn good club - it will be interesting to see what they do without him for a bit.

I don't know how old you are. I graduated college in '77
and can tell you that even then most NHL GM's knew that they were going to need a significant influx of talent from the NCAA to augment their NHL rosters to assure they didn't ice 3 Battleship Kelly's.

Case in point being Greater Boston/UNH stars
Bobby Miller and Rod Langway forcing their way
onto Stanley Cup Finalists Boston/Montreal
with eligibilty left at UNH. Montreal and Boston
for their time were better than any NHL Team today.

Go forward 5 years from 1978-79 and Bobby Carpenter,
Phil Housley, Brian Lawton and Tom Barrasso went
directly from US High School hockey to immediate NHL stardom/success (Lawton excluded but he was the '83 #1
overall pick from US High School hockey).

So that being at least 35+ years ago, I think your premise is literally 50 years ago...lol.

Incidentally I saw a lot of Madden in the '19 WJC and
both Beanpot games. He is a good prospect.

Last edited:

ylekot

Still evaluating..
Feb 2, 2010
Paxton Massachusetts
I'm not the biggest Ritchie fan either. That ones a bit of a head scratcher to me.

Only thing I can think of is they still see upside in Ritchie since he's young where as Thornton and Simmonds are both on the verge of retirement.
I think after going back and watching some of his fights that it might have been the reason Sweeney picked him up. If nothing else Ritchie in the lineup may give someone pause before they run at Pastrnak or Bergeron. May also take some of the enforcement burden off of Z to a certain extent 40+ and broken jaw last year. Or maybe its just a simple flyer on a change of scenery guy. I like the way he fights uses his left well and goes to the body. I'm rooting for him to succeed with the Bruins.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He’s a 35-40 point winger who plays a very heavy game and may have some untapped upside, There’s a lot to like about that

not a mystery why they wanted him- they have nobody like that on the roster

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I don't know how old you are. I graduated college in '77
and can tell you that even then most NHL GM's knew that they were going to need a significant influx of talent from the NCAA to augment their NHL rosters to assure they didn't ice 3 Battleship Kelly's.

Case in point being Greater Boston/UNH stars
Bobby Miller and Rod Langway forcing their way
onto Stanley Cup Finalists Boston/Montreal
with eligibilty left at UNH. Montreal and Boston
for their time were better than any NHL Team today.

Go forward 5 years from 1978-79 and Bobby Carpenter,
Phil Housley, Brian Lawton and Tom Barrasso went
directly from US High School hockey to immediate NHL stardom/success (Lawton excluded but he was the '83 #1
overall pick from US High School hockey).

So that being at least 35+ years ago, I think your premise is literally 50 years ago...lol.

Incidentally I saw a lot of Madden in the '19 WJC and
both Beanpot games. He is a good prospect.
:laugh: I was born in 76. I was just thinking the last 20 years or so. When I was growing up college players were seen as guys who couldn’t or wouldn’t try to cut it in junior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad