Post-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Trade Deadline II

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
What has he won?
Edit. Just read that Thotnton did in fact want a shot at the cup and the story of him not wanting to be far away from family was speculative BS. I take it back. I think the Bruins and Sharks let us all down by not putting this together. Should have been a no brainers even if just a 7th round pick.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Kind of always thought Sweeney gave out that contract with an eye on the expansion draft.

At the time the contract was announced there was speculation here that is exactly why Sweeney did it. Turned out to be a good idea Moore has stepped in when needed & played well for the most part.

Reactions: Strafer

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Sorry for me interrupting but I’ll give it a try.

A player you can build around

A player who’s really talented

A player who respects the organization he plays 4

A player who’s teammates respect

A player who can take criticism from coaching

A player who is around win or lose answering questions from media with respect

A player who’s good in the community

A player who puts team before his stats or salary

If I missed any feel free.....
I would agree with all of what you've laid out. The person I asked the question of was saying that Sweeney had only drafted Carlo and that Carlo wasn't an impact anyway.

Again, I agree with the definition you've done, and think Carlo actually fits very well as an impact player.

Impact player doesn't have to be someone who is a HHOF superstar to be. For me an impact player is someone who I'd say "I really don't want to see him traded unless we have something special coming back.". For me that sure fits Carlo.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
The fact is that Brendan Carlo is an impact player. Maybe he isn’t a offensive juggernaut (though he is improving). Put it this way, he is arguably the best pure defender on a top rated team and has enough puck moving and passing skill to play a ton of minutes.

You want to see his impact? Take him out of the line-up. You’ll miss him immediately.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I love what he did, but he could’ve got Palmieri. I guess Fitzgerald was being a duche, but it doesn’t seem like Sweeney wanted to go all in. Didn’t have a 1st to give, but couldn’t he sweeten the pot somehow? Great GMs find a way to get what they need. Seems like Sweeney & Fitzgerald have some personal issues
Is it safe to assume there were more than one GM who had interest in adding Palmieri? If so, none landed him. Lack of great GM’s in the league.

The Laukomotive

Nov 26, 2017
I am pretty sure BUF would take O’Reilly back in a heartbeat if they could. Also, I think most GM’s would rate O’Reilly as a top tier two way center in the league. There is Crosby...and then there is Bergeron, Barkov, Kopitar and O’Reilly. Jonathan Toews was similar during their cup years.

So, maybe you don’t need Connor McDavid or Crosby at 1C to win a cup. But you also don’t win with Derek Stepan or Charlie Coyle as your 1C either.

Add Couturier to that list.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Did anyone predict Bergeron and Krejci would become cornerstone centers? Krejci started out in Providence. Bergeron was drafted 45th overall. Did you know they’d become the Bruins #1 and #2 centers?

Bergeron was in the NHL at 18 and by 20y 70 point C.

How many of these young u25 franchise C's started their NHL career in their +4 seasons and to show franchise C potential.

McDavid, Eichel, Mackinnon, Barkov, Scheifele, Matthews, Pettersson, Aho, none of those guys.

I'd try to be more realistic and not to expect any of Coyle, Stud, Trent.
You are betting on a miracle.

#2C's not franchise C's.

Last edited:

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Edit. Just read that Thotnton did in fact want a shot at the cup and the story of him not wanting to be far away from family was speculative BS. I take it back. I think the Bruins and Sharks let us all down by not putting this together. Should have been a no brainers even if just a 7th round pick.
Yeah I kind of wanted him to go to the Bruins also.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The fact is that Brendan Carlo is an impact player. Maybe he isn’t a offensive juggernaut (though he is improving). Put it this way, he is arguably the best pure defender on a top rated team and has enough puck moving and passing skill to play a ton of minutes.

You want to see his impact? Take him out of the line-up. You’ll miss him immediately.

I've been a critic of his, and while he still has lapses he is taking the next step. I thought he was going to be what he was the first three years, but that play-off run seemed to help him like no other player.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky

Absolutely agree. Try and find another D that's his age with his skill set and contract . He's been a top 4 since he was 20 years old and is only 23 . He hasn't even filled out his body yet . Yet he's a monster. He's exactly the kind of player you keep .

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
So the Bruins were lucky to get a non-impact player when they did? Can you say "self-contradicting"? I thought you could.

And Carlo was one of the players listed by the OP. I was just correcting who actually drafted him.

There's nothing self contradicting in that at all.

I don't find Carlo to be an impact type player.

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
As I mentioned yesterday if this team could have gotten Simmonds with retained salary and a low pick I would have done it for some more physical depth.

Yes, I'm not upset about not landing the "big fish" because nobody else did, and the prices were prohibitive. But getting somebody like Simmonds for depth is something I would have done.

PacificNWBruin

Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands
Wanted slightly more. Kase trade was decent even though they had to give up a 1st to shed the Backes contract. Ritchie is meh could be a good pick up, could be his brother. Don’t think the trades move the needle a lot unless Debrusk/Krejci/Kase build chemistry. I’ve been a fan and defender of Heinen since his college days. This season I was getting tired of him. Wish him all the luck. And I can see him becoming a solid 3rd line 40 pt player consistently. Would also like to see Backes suit up for Anaheim.

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com

We sure needed him back in 18 against Tampa. This much is certain. Love Carlo's game.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

Is he an impact player like say Krug for example?

Go of off stats and all that, Mcquaid was a player that was missed when out in his prime, but i bet you'd hardly call him an impact player would you?

Carlo is a really good defensive defenceman, but sincevwhen has just doing your job translated to impact player?

Maybe we just haveva difference of opinion on impact player vs good players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad