2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Here's my (entirely hypothetical) draft for the Sharks. I'm going to assume Tampa will win the cup. Assuming these players are still available at these spots, of course!

R1 P31 - JJ Peterka (RW, DEL) - smallish winger with super speed and hands. Has definite top 6 upside, but no means a guarantee. Not sure he falls to 31. I just like his potential and game a lot.

R2 P34 - William Wallander (LD - J20Swe) - clear project, but big, toolsy Dman with huge upside if he can work the game out. Too tempting to pass on, but high miss rate at this pick. Won't be there at 55.

R2 P55 - Drew Commesso (G, USNTDP) - Yes, a goalie. In the late second round. Pipe dream, I know. But this kid is good and has a solid development path ahead in the NCAA at BU. Quick, calm.

R5 P126 - Adam Raska (RW, QMJHL) - small, but buzzy & physical player, great motor. Could be a tremendous lower half of the roster forward who can drive possession with some upside.

R5 P127 - Simon Kubicek (RD, WHL) - big Czech Dman, tough, playing NA hockey for couple years. Has a little upside but is solid in his own end first and foremost. Strong. Not a pylon either.

R7 P201 - Ben King (C, WHL) - 6'3, strong play-making centre, hasn't wowed with his numbers but has plenty of potential as a 7th round kicker.

R7 P211 - Jackson Hallum (C, MN-HS), fast, decent defensively, physical centre, going to UMichigan. If he can develop his offensive game (some potential) there, could become an intriguing bottom 6 W.

Would, imo, be a decent draft. Goalie will raise eyebrows that high, I accept, but I think Commesso's potential is very good. I reckon he goes late 2nd, early 3rd so not a huge reach. It depends a lot on the top 3 picks, who I think all have real potential if developed properly.

Other names I like around 31 include Mysak (C, OHL - very much!), and Torgersson (LW, J20Swe). In the second round, if they drop and Sharks brass don't share my inclination to draft a netminder, which I'd get - include Nybeck and Chromiak at 55 ...but I suspect they'll go before then.

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Nice list. Do you think the Sharks will burn picks on goalies with the current pipeline?
I think it's possible we use one in the middle rounds. Now that Emond is entering his D+3 season, we don't have a goalie in the U20 age group. On top of that, it seems like they've been searching for the next starting goalie from within in recent years and they still haven't hit on anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: themelkman

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Here's my (entirely hypothetical) draft for the Sharks. I'm going to assume Tampa will win the cup. Assuming these players are still available at these spots, of course!

R1 P31 - JJ Peterka (RW, DEL) - smallish winger with super speed and hands. Has definite top 6 upside, but no means a guarantee. Not sure he falls to 31. I just like his potential and game a lot.

R2 P34 - William Wallander (LD - J20Swe) - clear project, but big, toolsy Dman with huge upside if he can work the game out. Too tempting to pass on, but high miss rate at this pick. Won't be there at 55.

R2 P55 - Drew Commesso (G, USNTDP) - Yes, a goalie. In the late second round. Pipe dream, I know. But this kid is good and has a solid development path ahead in the NCAA at BU. Quick, calm.

R5 P126 - Adam Raska (RW, QMJHL) - small, but buzzy & physical player, great motor. Could be a tremendous lower half of the roster forward who can drive possession with some upside.

R5 P127 - Simon Kubicek (RD, WHL) - big Czech Dman, tough, playing NA hockey for couple years. Has a little upside but is solid in his own end first and foremost. Strong. Not a pylon either.

R7 P201 - Ben King (C, WHL) - 6'3, strong play-making centre, hasn't wowed with his numbers but has plenty of potential as a 7th round kicker.

R7 P211 - Jackson Hallum (C, MN-HS), fast, decent defensively, physical centre, going to UMichigan. If he can develop his offensive game (some potential) there, could become an intriguing bottom 6 W.

Would, imo, be a decent draft. Goalie will raise eyebrows that high, I accept, but I think Commesso's potential is very good. I reckon he goes late 2nd, early 3rd so not a huge reach. It depends a lot on the top 3 picks, who I think all have real potential if developed properly.

Other names I like around 31 include Mysak (C, OHL - very much!), and Torgersson (LW, J20Swe). In the second round, if they drop and Sharks brass don't share my inclination to draft a netminder, which I'd get - include Nybeck and Chromiak at 55 ...but I suspect they'll go before then.
Would love if we got Peterka and Wallinder, but not sure either make it to us at 31

Reactions: Le Rosbeef

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Draftsite's mock draft had us taking a 6'7 defenseman named Igor Chibrikov in the 5th round. Does anyone know anything of him? A defenseman with that size is intriguing.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Draftsite's mock draft had us taking a 6'7 defenseman named Igor Chibrikov in the 5th round. Does anyone know anything of him? A defenseman with that size is intriguing.

We've been down this road before, draft the really tall D guy because of his physical size
as a project player, etc. I'm always cautious with the scouting report leads with 6'7" tall.

Can he play? Is he quick? the AHL/NHL is a fast league that's much harder on large not very mobile players (e.g. Chara) that lack mobility.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Nice list. Do you think the Sharks will burn picks on goalies with the current pipeline?

No. Certainly not as high as I have Commesso, I doubt.

Should they? Perhaps. I appreciate entirely there's a lot of difficulty projecting goalies, but we've been doing this for a while now and a little from both columns (draft and trade) might be prudent.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Really curious to see who falls to us with the first 2 picks. I like how the 15-45 range is very similar in talent, and therefor we could end up with a steal. Crossing my fingers we somehow end up with one of the germans tho.

Reactions: themelkman

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
So much of this isn't even what we were talking about. No one was talking about Norris, or any of that other stuff. No one (that I saw) was saying to cancel the deal or not to resign EK65. Not as a part of this particular exercise anyway. It was simply would you rather have ek65 in this moment or the 3OA and the cap space it gains you.

My 60% stat was based on a cursory look through 3OA draft choices for about 20 years. A bunch were high end players but another significant group were either mediocre or barely bottom feeder players.

And yes betting on a player with an incredibly consistent ability to produce over draft choices is the logical choice. It's not even close IMO.

Not that it matters but I was against resigning EK. I had several posts indicating it would be a disastrous move. Cap space is a big issue and this contract will be an albatross.

San Jose needs to rebuild and shed these crazy contracts. This team isn’t winning the cup. All we are going to get is a bunch of mediocre seasons stacked up with heavy cap weight.

fEyD08

Jan 13, 2018
Would be cool to get Lukas Reichel out of this draft. We probably have to draft in the 10-20 range to get him. What would it cost to move up? Maybe our two second round picks.
He plays a mature game and is one of the most nhl ready prospects.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Not that it matters but I was against resigning EK. I had several posts indicating it would be a disastrous move. Cap space is a big issue and this contract will be an albatross.

San Jose needs to rebuild and shed these crazy contracts. This team isn’t winning the cup. All we are going to get is a bunch of mediocre seasons stacked up with heavy cap weight.
Always good to read the comments that lead up to the one you're responding too... My comment was in reference to our discussion in the here and now here in this thread, not historically. ;) Of course a bunch of people were against resigning him back when it was actually happening. :)

Sharks are not rebuilding. DW has stated this repeatedly. And apparently you can see into the future. Soooo... yeah. Other than that, cool... we get it. You don't like EK65. Noted.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Would be cool to get Lukas Reichel out of this draft. We probably have to draft in the 10-20 range to get him. What would it cost to move up? Maybe our two second round picks.
He plays a mature game and is one of the most nhl ready prospects.

To move up over 10 spots? If you are wanting to just use picks, probably the 1st, 2 2nds and 3rd. But even then i don't think it works.

To move that far it would have to be involved in a hockey move with players.

fEyD08

Jan 13, 2018
To move up over 10 spots? If you are wanting to just use picks, probably the 1st, 2 2nds and 3rd. But even then i don't think it works.

To move that far it would have to be involved in a hockey move with players.

My thought was our 1st and the 2 2nds.
Doug already said that he still wants to compete, getting nhl ready prospects would make sense.
Moving up that far would be costly like you said.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
My thought was our 1st and the 2 2nds.
Doug already said that he still wants to compete, getting nhl ready prospects would make sense.
Moving up that far would be costly like you said.
It really doesn't. To compete you need established NHL players or elite prospects that are ready to step in and produce like established NHL players as rookies. Typically you don't draft those lower than the top 5. Very unlikely DW uses all 3 of those picks to draft prospects. More likely that 1 or 2 are traded for vets or young vets who are on the cusp of becoming good NHLers.

Last edited:

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Always good to read the comments that lead up to the one you're responding too... My comment was in reference to our discussion in the here and now here in this thread, not historically. ;) Of course a bunch of people were against resigning him back when it was actually happening. :)

Sharks are not rebuilding. DW has stated this repeatedly. And apparently you can see into the future. Soooo... yeah. Other than that, cool... we get it. You don't like EK65. Noted.

That's why DW needs to be fired. It's not about seeing into the future as it is simply understanding analytics and game theory. I have nothing against EK. Where I do have a problem is his contract for a player who is massively injury prone and is past his prime. Look at the teams that win the cup do they have these types of contracts? Nope.

Under a hard cap you cannot continually mortgage the future and tie up cap space in aging players.

Signing Karlsson was an unmitigated disaster because the Sharks were paying for the uninjured peak form, which is not what he is anymore. He's a 7.5 million dollar player at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad