2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017

Seems like teams want our two picks there. Doubt Doug would make that move until he sees whos around, but it could be a serious possibility

As a Green Bay fan, everyone was pissed when they moved down to pick Alexander, and they gained an extra 1st rounder to pick the player they wanted anyways.

Unless there’s a player they’re in love with at 31 and the picks coming back are all 2020, I think it would be a good idea. Seems like picks 20-50 are all similar in upside.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
As a Green Bay fan, everyone was pissed when they moved down to pick Alexander, and they gained an extra 1st rounder to pick the player they wanted anyways.

Unless there’s a player they’re in love with at 31 and the picks coming back are all 2020, I think it would be a good idea. Seems like picks 20-50 are all similar in upside.
I guess they only do it if someone rated top 10 for them falls. Maybe a guy like Jarvis could be sneakily up there?

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007

Seems like teams want our two picks there. Doubt Doug would make that move until he sees whos around, but it could be a serious possibility

Very telling.

After pick 14 (in my mind), you could legitimately find a high calibre prospect in the next 30-40 picks. Teams that pick at 15-25 who think their targets may fall will look to move back. I'm expecting a fair few trades on draft day as teams manoeuvre.

I'm comfortable we will get a good pick at 31 and 34 but it absolutely wouldn't surprise me to see the Sharks move up too.

Unconnected, I'd really consider throwing a 5th at Billy Constantinou. I was in favour of drafting him last year, but he was overlooked - presumably perceived off ice concerns. Definitely worth a 5th after his growth this season.

Reactions: fEyD08

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Very telling.

After pick 14 (in my mind), you could legitimately find a high calibre prospect in the next 30-40 picks. Teams that pick at 15-25 who think their targets may fall will look to move back. I'm expecting a fair few trades on draft day as teams manoeuvre.

I'm comfortable we will get a good pick at 31 and 34 but it absolutely wouldn't surprise me to see the Sharks move up too.

Unconnected, I'd really consider throwing a 5th at Billy Constantinou. I was in favour of drafting him last year, but he was overlooked - presumably perceived off ice concerns. Definitely worth a 5th after his growth this season.
If he’s available, I agree to take him. On the regular boards, he was often mentioned as someone who should have been drafted.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Very telling.

The one player I am enamored with is John-Jason Peterka. But we would most likely have to move up a few spots to grab him.

The player I am interested at 31 or 34 would be Khusnutdinov. Have read really good things about him.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
I know the Sharks ain't a team that would take a chance on an injury-prone player, but Hendrix Lapierre is really really good.
His concussion history is a problem but I do see some top-line potential in him.

If we want a boom-bust guy at 31, he would be my pick.

I also saw some potential sleeper picks which the Sharks might be interested, they are :

Seena Peeters (C/F) - Halifax Mooseheads
I see some scoring touch in him, great performance in the WJC. However, his plus/minus is atrocious (-43), his defensive commitment can use a lot of work.

Yevgeni Oksentyuk (F) - Flint Firebirds
Pint-sized forward with helluva of a drive, score over a PPG in his first season in the OHL.

Levente Keresztes (F) - Twin City Thunder in the NCDC
6'5 Hungarian dude with good skating for his size, even if his offence doesn't pan out, I think he has a future in the bottom-6.

Michael Benning (D) - University of Denver
Jim Benning's nephew, kind of under the radar (He played in the AJHL), a new-age defenseman with quite a bit of offensive prowess.

Dmitri Ovchinnikov (F) - Sibir in the MHL
One of the youngest in the draft, putting up PPG in the Russian MHL, really nice toolset, I would love to see the Sharks use a 5th round pick on him.

Blake Biondi (F) - UMN NCAA
For some reason I see some Pavelski in him, great skating, good motor, nothing too flashy.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I know the Sharks ain't a team that would take a chance on an injury-prone player, but Hendrix Lapierre is really really good.
His concussion history is a problem but I do see some top-line potential in him.

If we want a boom-bust guy at 31, he would be my pick.

I also saw some potential sleeper picks which the Sharks might be interested, they are :

Seena Peeters (C/F) - Halifax Mooseheads
I see some scoring touch in him, great performance in the WJC. However, his plus/minus is atrocious (-43), his defensive commitment can use a lot of work.

Yevgeni Oksentyuk (F) - Flint Firebirds
Pint-sized forward with helluva of a drive, score over a PPG in his first season in the OHL.

Levente Keresztes (F) - Twin City Thunder in the NCDC
6'5 Hungarian dude with good skating for his size, even if his offence doesn't pan out, I think he has a future in the bottom-6.

Michael Benning (D) - University of Denver
Jim Benning's nephew, kind of under the radar (He played in the AJHL), a new-age defenseman with quite a bit of offensive prowess.

Dmitri Ovchinnikov (F) - Sibir in the MHL
One of the youngest in the draft, putting up PPG in the Russian MHL, really nice toolset, I would love to see the Sharks use a 5th round pick on him.

Blake Biondi (F) - UMN NCAA
For some reason I see some Pavelski in him, great skating, good motor, nothing too flashy.
No way Hendrix makes it to 31, but if he did no way sharks pass. Hes a top 10 talent

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
No way Hendrix makes it to 31, but if he did no way sharks pass. Hes a top 10 talent
No doubt he's a top 10 talent, but three concussions in 10 months are really no joke.

On one hand, he is one bad hit away from retiring.
On the other hand, he is one of the closest things to a top 6 C in this draft IMO.

The question is, which team would take the bait.

If Lapierre is out of the question, then maybe we can take Lukas Reichel and JJ Peterka with the 31st and 34th pick.
Considering how volatile this draft would be, I don't think this situation is unrealistic at all.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
No doubt he's a top 10 talent, but three concussions in 10 months are really no joke.

On one hand, he is one bad hit away from retiring.
On the other hand, he is one of the closest things to a top 6 C in this draft IMO.

The question is, which team would take the bait.

If Lapierre is out of the question, then maybe we can take Lukas Reichel and JJ Peterka with the 31st and 34th pick.
Considering how volatile this draft would be, I don't think this situation is unrealistic at all.
I thought I read somewhere that it was like 1 concussion and a misdiagnosed neck thing like with Crosby which makes Lapierre seem a little less risky if that's the truth.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Haven't kept up with any of the prospects. Any reason for the Sharks to package 31 and 34 for, say, the 20th pick? Or better to keep them and try to hit on those?

Reactions: Sandisfan

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Haven't kept up with any of the prospects. Any reason for the Sharks to package 31 and 34 for, say, the 20th pick? Or better to keep them and try to hit on those?
Popular opinion is after about 15, the next 45 guys are up for debate, so there is a reasonable chance the guy they would take at 20 would still be available at 31. Probably best to keep both.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Popular opinion is after about 15, the next 45 guys are up for debate, so there is a reasonable chance the guy they would take at 20 would still be available at 31. Probably best to keep both.
Yep. This is what I have been reading as well. So unless DW has someone very high on the board that has dropped into the 20's, I doubt he moves up.

Reactions: Quid Pro Clowe

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Seems like it would only be reasonable to move up to the top 10 and we don't really have the assets to make that kind of jump. So we're probably better off staying where we are and go quantity over quality for this draft at least.

Reactions: Quid Pro Clowe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad