2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
That's why DW needs to be fired. It's not about seeing into the future as it is simply understanding analytics and game theory. I have nothing against EK. Where I do have a problem is his contract for a player who is massively injury prone and is past his prime. Look at the teams that win the cup do they have these types of contracts? Nope.

Under a hard cap you cannot continually mortgage the future and tie up cap space in aging players.

Signing Karlsson was an unmitigated disaster because the Sharks were paying for the uninjured peak form, which is not what he is anymore. He's a 7.5 million dollar player at best.
lol! Yeah, ok man. Let's see how he looks with all this time to heal. He has at times looked every bit a top 3 D-man in the NHL and for that 22 game stretch in his first season in SJ he looked like one of the best players in the NHL. Tell Burns that 30 is "past your prime". 30 is just about prime for many D-men.
Karlsson past his prime? What?? Dudes like 30 yrs old. He's literally in his prime years right now, hence the reason he got the massive deal he got.
Exactly... This is just another case where I get to be happy DW is the GM and not people here. :laugh:

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Is Evgeni Malkin an order of magnitude better than Karlsson? His team went back to back with Malkin eating up 13%+ of the cap and averaging 60 games a season, and he was a year older than Karlsson is now with even more injury concerns. Karlsson is eating up 14% of cap (only 19-20 onwards) and averaging 55 games per season. Yes, Malkin is one of the very best players in the game when he's playing, but so is Karlsson.

The point is that you can win with a single large contract eating up a large (10%+) portion of your cap space paying an injury-prone, but great, player. Karlsson's not the problem - Jones and Vlasic are the problems.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Is Evgeni Malkin an order of magnitude better than Karlsson? His team went back to back with Malkin eating up 13%+ of the cap and averaging 60 games a season, and he was a year older than Karlsson is now with even more injury concerns. Karlsson is eating up 14% of cap (only 19-20 onwards) and averaging 55 games per season. Yes, Malkin is one of the very best players in the game when he's playing, but so is Karlsson.

The point is that you can win with a single large contract eating up a large (10%+) portion of your cap space paying an injury-prone, but great, player. Karlsson's not the problem - Jones and Vlasic are the problems.
I think Vlasic is the biggest problem on this team. He does not seem happy to be here and seems to want to do his own thing. Too bad his contract stinks so much or else I definitely think DW would have moved him by now.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
As it stands now, the Sharks aren't that far away from being a playoff team next season, maybe even a pretty good one.

- Jones playing better under the tutelage of Nabokov
- Burns, Hertl, Meier, and Labanc having bounce back seasons
- Karlsson playing well (and staying healthy) and Vlasic playing like a stable D-man instead of point-hunting
- PP being more productive - they certainly have the talent to thrive under a really good setup

And who knows what kind of trade and/or signing Wilson might make plus what younger guys might break through to be solid contributors.

Last edited:

jarr92

May 7, 2013
With the draft in a week, I thought it would be fun to be on record regarding the early draft picks. It's always fun to look over previous draft years to see how correct (or incorrect) we were about the picks. The highest I can realistically see the Sharks moving up to is around 15-20 (although I'm guessing they stay around their current picks of 31 and 34). With that being said - I wanted to make a list of who I'd draft, not draft, and who I think DW will actually draft.

Draft Darlings:
Seth Jarvis
Tyson Foerster

Future Busts:
Ridly Greig
William Wallinder
Zion Nybeck

DW's picks prediction:
Luke Evangelista
Jan Mysak

They have 3 early picks in a draft with good 1st round forward talent. The Sharks and DW/DWjr need to come away from this draft with at least 1 future top 6 player IMO.

Reactions: themelkman

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
- Burns, Hertl, Meier, and Labanc having bounce back seasons
Hertl doesn't need a bounce back season, he just needs to be healthy, but otherwise I agree with you.

He had 36 points in 48 games, but that was playing a lot of games injured. Before the injury he was playing easily the best hockey of his career, which is obviously saying something.

The other thing is, if the new coaching staff executes the game plan they want to, it has the potential to get so much out of Burns and Karlsson, who are both players with the talent to carry a team.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Hertl doesn't need a bounce back season, he just needs to be healthy, but otherwise I agree with you.

He had 36 points in 48 games, but that was playing a lot of games injured. Before the injury he was playing easily the best hockey of his career, which is obviously saying something.

The other thing is, if the new coaching staff executes the game plan they want to, it has the potential to get so much out of Burns and Karlsson, who are both players with the talent to carry a team.

Yeah, you're right. Shouldn't have had him included.

The coaching staff needs to get the most out of BB and EK, no questions. EK may not be as fast as he once was, but he can still carry the puck and still has great vision and passing ability. It got me so mad to see him DeBoering pucks toward the net from the right boards instead of making plays. Also there has to be an emphasis on him taking more high-danger shots which kind of goes together with the previous point.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
I think Vlasic is the biggest problem on this team. He does not seem happy to be here and seems to want to do his own thing. Too bad his contract stinks so much or else I definitely think DW would have moved him by now.
Yeah imo the vlasic contract is MUCH worse than the EK65 one

I'm not sure vlasic is unhappy here I honestly think he's mostly indifferent and has a RBF (which I can def relate to)... The fact that he had reportedly bad chemistry with EK65 is interesting as I'm not aware of this being the case with any other defenseman he's played with

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Would love if we got Peterka and Wallinder, but not sure either make it to us at 31

The more I look at this draft, the more optimistic I am that this could feasibly happen. I still like JJ very much but there's a steady variation in how he is seen, which could play to our advantage. There are so many good forwards available that have good potential, that I think JJ will not be inside the first 25 picks, not least as I reckon a few teams will reach on Dmen. At that point, it's anyone's guess.

If anything, the more I delve, the more I'm growing on Jan Mysak too - can't help but feel his growth upside is being slept on in a lot of rankings. Not sure I see him as a long term centre (which may be the reason he drops) but he could definitely be a good scoring winger for someone. And if it works out at C, it's even better for the franchise, I guess.

Another name at C to watch if that's the route at 31 is Ridly Greig. Very attractive skill set, but skating isn't quite there just yet (certainly sounds like a Sharks pick!). If he was 2 inches taller, I reckon his profile would be off the charts.

As for Wallinder, man his profile is drool-worthy. He's the sort of guy that could go in a reach, but I think he's still there at 34. I know this will sound crazy, but I see Victor Hedman when I watch him. If he's developed slowly and properly, he could be a sensational pick but a team picking in the first round is going to have to be all in on him. Not sure that risk is worth it for most. There's a lot of potential for him not to pan out. But boy, his movement(!). If he can slow the game down, hone his offensive instincts slightly, learn how to defend without zoning out (there's the bust potential) and play a little more nasty, he could be unreal.

If not Wallinder, another guy that could be interesting there on the back end - polar opposite of Wallinder - is Emil Andrae. He's small, but built strongly, and his stock is rising. There's some real dynamism to his game that will be overlooked as he's 5'9, but the upside is real. He doesn't play small. But if his skating can be improved, he could be quite an addition too.*

*Full disclosure, other players than Swedish Blueliners are available...

Reactions: Sandisfan

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Yah, it was bad at the time of signing, even worse now.
Jones was actually paid what he was worth at the time, but the length was dumb AF, it should have been a 2 year deal and we'd be rid of this nightmare

Every other contract he's done over the last 3 years I am 100% okay with

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
There’s a tweet on the trade board saying that Edmonton might trade 14 for a first and a second.
Would this be worth it?
Might be worth doing for the TB 1st and SJ 2nd if you think that the 14th pick could be a potential Hertl and the 31 and 34 will potentially be another Goldobin+Roy. I'm inclined to say no since 20-45 are supposed to be pretty even this year. In a weaker year where there was a steeper drop off, I would probably make that trade.

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Jones was actually paid what he was worth at the time, but the length was dumb AF, it should have been a 2 year deal and we'd be rid of this nightmare

To me, DW has given everyone money and term. Jones at 12/2 vs. 20/5, Vlasic at 21/3 vs. 40/8, Burns at 40/5 or 50/8, etc.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver

For now

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
There’s a tweet on the trade board saying that Edmonton might trade 14 for a first and a second.
Would this be worth it?

I doubt they'll end up doing that.

That's where the draft starts to lose some of its high end potential in my opinion. They're just inside the pick window. Take a winger like Jarvis or Amirov and run for the hills!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad