2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
"Oh my god, I can't believe they picked <actual pick> when <guy I like> was still on the board!"

"Who? I don't know who <pick> is! Why would they take a <position> that they don't need?"

"Typical Sharks, trying to get too cute instead of making the obvious pick of <guy I like>."

"I don't understand why they'd trade <pick> and move <up/down> just to select <player>. They could've <alternate scenario> and it would've been better."

"f***."

There. I've taken the time to type out all the responses most people are going to need or be interested in posting tomorrow and Wednesday. Should save some time for all parties involved.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
"Oh my god, I can't believe they picked <actual pick> when <guy I like> was still on the board!"

"Who? I don't know who <pick> is! Why would they take a <position> that they don't need?"

"Typical Sharks, trying to get too cute instead of making the obvious pick of <guy I like>."

"I don't understand why they'd trade <pick> and move <up/down> just to select <player>. They could've <alternate scenario> and it would've been better."

"f***."

There. I've taken the time to type out all the responses most people are going to need or be interested in posting tomorrow and Wednesday. Should save some time for all parties involved.
Can you sticky this post so I can use it later?

Reactions: Sandisfan

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

"f***."

:laugh:

Sadly, not sure how many of the ol' pessimists even frequent this board anymore.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

"f***."

You forgot mine... Why didn't they trade one of these picks for some immediate help this season? ;)

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Does anyone know of a cell phone radio app that will be broadcasting the draft? I'll be in the car for the entirety of it and would like to listen.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
I know the Sharks ain't a team that would take a chance on an injury-prone player, but Hendrix Lapierre is really really good.
His concussion history is a problem but I do see some top-line potential in him.

If we want a boom-bust guy at 31, he would be my pick.

I also saw some potential sleeper picks which the Sharks might be interested, they are :

Seena Peeters (C/F) - Halifax Mooseheads
I see some scoring touch in him, great performance in the WJC. However, his plus/minus is atrocious (-43), his defensive commitment can use a lot of work.

Yevgeni Oksentyuk (F) - Flint Firebirds
Pint-sized forward with helluva of a drive, score over a PPG in his first season in the OHL.

Levente Keresztes (F) - Twin City Thunder in the NCDC
6'5 Hungarian dude with good skating for his size, even if his offence doesn't pan out, I think he has a future in the bottom-6.

Michael Benning (D) - University of Denver
Jim Benning's nephew, kind of under the radar (He played in the AJHL), a new-age defenseman with quite a bit of offensive prowess.

Dmitri Ovchinnikov (F) - Sibir in the MHL
One of the youngest in the draft, putting up PPG in the Russian MHL, really nice toolset, I would love to see the Sharks use a 5th round pick on him.

Blake Biondi (F) - UMN NCAA
For some reason I see some Pavelski in him, great skating, good motor, nothing too flashy.

Big time sleepers. I like Benning too but think he's a good bet to go inside the top 3 rounds so we'd have to take him at 55 or trade back. D is at a premium in this draft so he could get a position boost. Ovchinnikov intrigues me too but again, there are probably safer options at 55. Would be an exciting pick though!

I'll offer a couple picks at 55th that could be slight reaches too, but I like them as solid 3rd rounders:

Theodor Niederbach (A skilful playmaker whose stock may have dropped due to a significant issue previously with his knees. Think he's there at 55 but has good upside so maybe not...)

Martin Chromiak (Offensive winger who can create and bury the biscuit, but he did play with Shane Wright so there will be questions about stat crossover. Decent value in the 3rd)

Wyatt Kaiser (A favourite - a two-way Dman, who might take a while to develop in NCAA but has some really good potential. Definitely would be a slight reach at 55, but the payoff could be good)

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
I know the Sharks ain't a team that would take a chance on an injury-prone player, but Hendrix Lapierre is really really good.
His concussion history is a problem but I do see some top-line potential in him.

If we want a boom-bust guy at 31, he would be my pick.

I also saw some potential sleeper picks which the Sharks might be interested, they are :

Seena Peeters (C/F) - Halifax Mooseheads
I see some scoring touch in him, great performance in the WJC. However, his plus/minus is atrocious (-43), his defensive commitment can use a lot of work.

Yevgeni Oksentyuk (F) - Flint Firebirds
Pint-sized forward with helluva of a drive, score over a PPG in his first season in the OHL.

Levente Keresztes (F) - Twin City Thunder in the NCDC
6'5 Hungarian dude with good skating for his size, even if his offence doesn't pan out, I think he has a future in the bottom-6.

Michael Benning (D) - University of Denver
Jim Benning's nephew, kind of under the radar (He played in the AJHL), a new-age defenseman with quite a bit of offensive prowess.

Dmitri Ovchinnikov (F) - Sibir in the MHL
One of the youngest in the draft, putting up PPG in the Russian MHL, really nice toolset, I would love to see the Sharks use a 5th round pick on him.

Blake Biondi (F) - UMN NCAA
For some reason I see some Pavelski in him, great skating, good motor, nothing too flashy.
I live in an AJHL city and saw Benning a couple of times each of the past two years. Before going further it should be noted that he was not in the same stratosphere as Makar at the same age despite what the projected stat line says. That said his vision, elusiveness and playmaking ability were fully on display against mostly inferior opposition. He also has an ESP like connection with Sherwood Park Crusaders teammate and fellow draft eligible winger Carter Savoie (remember that last name for the 2022 draft). Benning is quicker than fast but a good skater in both directions, but since he always had the puck when I saw him his defensive chops weren't always put to the test. Once he begins playing at Denver U (hopefully this year) it will be interesting to see his development.

In fairness, a better comparable going forward will probably be Ian Mitchell, now of the Blackhawks. Similar players.

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
He is ranked 56 on Black book but his scouting report is iffy.

Big D-man who does not really play physical is has average to below-average skating. Does have a good shot.
Button rates him as #31. I don’t push him, just saying about possible #55 pick. For example, Khusnutdinov is much better player.

Edit: Chinakhov has 7 (5+2) points in 12 games with 12 minutes ATOI (KHL). He is good option for late rounds. He may become a steal.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Button rates him as #31. I don’t push him, just saying about possible #55 pick. For example, Khusnutdinov is much better player.

Edit: Chinakhov has 7 (5+2) points in 12 games with 12 minutes ATOI (KHL). He is good option for late rounds. He may become a steal.
Khusnutdinov is definitely at my list. We could grab him at 31 or 34 I think

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
Big time sleepers. I like Benning too but think he's a good bet to go inside the top 3 rounds so we'd have to take him at 55 or trade back. D is at a premium in this draft so he could get a position boost. Ovchinnikov intrigues me too but again, there are probably safer options at 55. Would be an exciting pick though!

I'll offer a couple picks at 55th that could be slight reaches too, but I like them as solid 3rd rounders:

Theodor Niederbach (A skilful playmaker whose stock may have dropped due to a significant issue previously with his knees. Think he's there at 55 but has good upside so maybe not...)

Martin Chromiak (Offensive winger who can create and bury the biscuit, but he did play with Shane Wright so there will be questions about stat crossover. Decent value in the 3rd)

Wyatt Kaiser (A favourite - a two-way Dman, who might take a while to develop in NCAA but has some really good potential. Definitely would be a slight reach at 55, but the payoff could be good)
Really impressed by Niederbach, but I don't know if the Sharks would take the risk to draft someone with knee issues.

If the Sharks passed on Barzal because of his knees, it is safe to say they would pass on someone for the same reason.

For Chromiak, I don't think he would be there in the third round. Some GM would probably take a chance on him in the late second, but I won't complain if the Sharks snags him with the late second.

I actually think Jaromir Pytlik has a decent chance of being a Shark, I'd guess DW and Burke would salivate over this swiss-army knife of a player.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Really impressed by Niederbach, but I don't know if the Sharks would take the risk to draft someone with knee issues.

If the Sharks passed on Barzal because of his knees, it is safe to say they would pass on someone for the same reason.

For Chromiak, I don't think he would be there in the third round. Some GM would probably take a chance on him in the late second, but I won't complain if the Sharks snags him with the late second.

I actually think Jaromir Pytlik has a decent chance of being a Shark, I'd guess DW and Burke would salivate over this swiss-army knife of a player.
Niederbach is someone I really would love at 55, his teammate Daniel Torgersson is a great PWF as well. Another guy I like for 55 is Kasper Simontaival, smallish right handed forward who racks up the points

Reactions: Le Rosbeef

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach

"f***."

In these uncertain times with Covid lurking, knowing we’ll get reactions like this in a draft thread is the small bit of normalcy we all need.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I’m kind of hoping we go for forwards with the first 3 picks. Just my feeling.
I’d love to grab a D or 2 with the picks. Our D prospect pool is looking a little bare with our forwards maybe missing the top end talent but we have a lot of depth there. With that said, I hope Sharks just go BPA with every pick.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Erep

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I’d love to grab a D or 2 with the picks. Our D prospect pool is looking a little bare with our forwards maybe missing the top end talent but we have a lot of depth there. With that said, I hope Sharks just go BPA with every pick.
I see what you’re saying. I do believe that the word is that next year will be a good year for defensemen. Maybe I’m imagining things again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad