Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread: Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I feel like the top 3 picks are obvious for Detroit but 4 is such a wild card. I could see any of Drysdale, Perfetti, Rossi or Raymond. I would be interested in hearing if NHL scouts think Perfetti can stick at center in the NHL

Four is where it gets interesting for me as well. I personally have a hard time seeing Perfetti (or Rossi for that matter) as centers. I think you could still easily make a case for either at 4 even as wingers though. The Black Book should be interesting this year for sure.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Four is where it gets interesting for me as well. I personally have a hard time seeing Perfetti (or Rossi for that matter) as centers. I think you could still easily make a case for either at 4 even as wingers though. The Black Book should be interesting this year for sure.

Is Lundell a guy NHL teams covet more than the scouting services? I know I would not be surprised.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I could see Perfetti sticking at center after a couple years of development time though. At a pick as high as 4 you expect a guy to be almost ready to go but Perfetti strikes me as a guy that with a couple years development could improve his first step enough to play center but if that doesnt happen youre right he could be worth it even as a winger.

I think Rossi is more likely to be a center long term but I also think Perfetti has higher upside so its a weird situation

Is Lundell a guy NHL teams covet more than the scouting services? I know I would not be surprised.

I think hes a guy that will get drafted higher than the HFboards narrative on him. Hes not flashy but hes a big, effective, two wya center with really good numbers for his age in pro hockey. After Byfield, hes the only guy who has the least questions about playing center in the NHL. Even some wonder about Stutzle playing center. Lundell is a clear center unlike Rossi and Perfetti

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Funny you mention him. I was watching some of him last night and I thought that he looked much, much better than I remembered. It may have been the tequila though. He isn't flashy but he is certainly effective and on top of the play.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Funny you mention him. I was watching some of him last night and I thought that he looked much, much better than I remembered. It may have been the tequila though. He isn't flashy but he is certainly effective and on top of the play.

I think he would have had a monster WJC if he was healthy and participated. Sucks for him, I think it has hurt his draft stock significantly.

GOZetterberg

Dec 10, 2019
Perfetti will clearly be a winger at the pro level. Combine that with the fact that he's undersized and has terrible top speed, there's just no way he goes top 5 imo.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I know this is OT for 2020 but I'm keeping an eye on the OHL draft bc it's some form of hockey fix and good primer for future NHL drafts.

I'm so stoked Saginaw denied London a chance at Adam Fantilli(2023) lol. Some Michigan kids in round 1, too.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
For later rounders, I wouldn't mind seeing a couple over agers
Gogolev - who had a nice 3 on 3 tournament with us a few years ago. Speedster with a shot.
Sokolov -huge winger who scores.
Jackson Kunz - 40 goals for Shattuck St mary
Colby Ambrosio - Undersized USHL winger going to BC. big producer.
Dmitri Ovchinnikov - Russian winger with a two way game
Timofei Spitserov - Little known high school kid going straight to the NCAA next season.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
I think we could avoid defenceman totally in this draft and worry about them at next year.
this organisation needs to restack on centers i hope 2 (if we get lafrieniere) or 3 of our first 4 picks and centers

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Definitely wouldn't be a good fit in Detroit, even if they traded down. But I could see him shining on a team like Buffalo or NJ, where there are really significant pieces at center already. Scouch definitely gets the idea across that Lundell has significant defensive upside.

Lundell is a good #2C more than likely in Detroit and the fit is there, it just means playmaking wingers are a need. You hope Zadina can drive him towards good things in the event we were to spring for him at #4. I wouldn't be thrilled, but Lundell will be higher with NHL types than he is going to be on this board for sure in my opinion. Kind of like Hayton.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Lundell is a good #2C more than likely in Detroit and the fit is there, it just means playmaking wingers are a need. You hope Zadina can drive him towards good things in the event we were to spring for him at #4. I wouldn't be thrilled, but Lundell will be higher with NHL types than he is going to be on this board for sure in my opinion. Kind of like Hayton.
I'm not sure I agree. I mean, I agree it means playmaking wingers are a need. The problem is that we'd be taking Lundell exactly in the place of the playmaking winger we'd need. And I don't really think Zadina is that kind of a line driver, nor that level of a playmaker. We'd be committing to a forward group with a win condition of "score 3 goals, let in 2" (Rasmussen, Lundell, Larkin, Bertuzzi, Mantha hurt half the year...) with a defense and goalie group with a win condition of "Score 5 goals, let in 4."

I mean, maybe you're assuming the team will be in the basement a couple more years, which is a reasonable thing to believe. But there would just be so much left to add if they took Lundell.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm not sure I agree. I mean, I agree it means playmaking wingers are a need. The problem is that we'd be taking Lundell exactly in the place of the playmaking winger we'd need. And I don't really think Zadina is that kind of a line driver, nor that level of a playmaker. We'd be committing to a forward group with a win condition of "score 3 goals, let in 2" (Rasmussen, Lundell, Larkin, Bertuzzi, Mantha hurt half the year...) with a defense and goalie group with a win condition of "Score 5 goals, let in 4."

I mean, maybe you're assuming the team will be in the basement a couple more years, which is a reasonable thing to believe. But there would just be so much left to add if they took Lundell.

I don't think we are out of the bottom of the draft after next season for sure if we are picking at #4.

To be clear he isn't my pick. But he should be a top 6 center in this league, heck maybe he can become Couturier or Monahan two guys I wasn't super high on that have been solid top 6 centers and really good players for most of their careers. He plays an industrious two-way game and I have him down the list personally but I like him. For instance I have less trouble projecting him to the NHL than I do Rossi... I don't think either guy are top 5 guys, I want more ceiling skill in that spot. I wouldn't be surprised if a few scouts really like him though, Lundell plays a pretty smart game, if you think you can develop a little more there I can see really liking him.

Not a guy I want, but he is in this classes top 10 for me.

Also Zadina better be a line driver or big impact player or this is going to get a lot longer. I am not sure he can be, but we need him to be, his development is really important. If he can figure out a way to get a second line contributing and impact the 1st PP that is a big part of what we need him to be on this team.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Just watched Hlinka cup. Not sure why Byfield ranking at 2. Perfetti and Drysdale were best players Foudi was good. Also Pashin looks like superstar , going to be available at 3rd round.
Seider- Drysdale and our defense is set

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Just watched Hlinka cup. Not sure why Byfield ranking at 2. Perfetti and Drysdale were best players Foudi was good. Also Pashin looks like superstar , going to be available at 3rd round.

Because they evaluate him on more than one week of hockey. Byfield is one of the youngest players in the draft and has unmatched tools in the current draft... That is why he is #2. Lafreniere has earned #1, but when you look at the package Byfield presents and how it translates up to a faster, bigger and more talented league he projects better than the rest of the draft in my opinion and from what we understand thus far through Bobby Mac and others, the guys that do this professionally.

Really hard for right-handed D-man to play their offside. Both Seider and Hronek struggled hard when asked to play the left at times this year, they might get it over time but it is unlikely that if we do draft Drysdale and play him with Seider. We will see, if we do pick Drysdale, I expect they will leverage Hronek into a massive trade, but that is down the line several years after the right side proves itself.

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
For later rounders, I wouldn't mind seeing a couple over agers
Gogolev - who had a nice 3 on 3 tournament with us a few years ago. Speedster with a shot.
Sokolov -huge winger who scores.
Jackson Kunz - 40 goals for Shattuck St mary
Colby Ambrosio - Undersized USHL winger going to BC. big producer.
Dmitri Ovchinnikov - Russian winger with a two way game
Timofei Spitserov - Little known high school kid going straight to the NCAA next season.

I would give Sokolov a go for sure. If he can improve the feet he could be a beast.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
One sub par tournament in a string of 2 great seasons. By your logic Askarov should drop aswell due to his WJC performance

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
Top 2020 NHL Draft prospects compared to current players

I don’t think we see hockey again this season, so here is my top10:

1. Lafreniere
2. Byfield
3. Stützle
4. Raymond
5. Drysdale/Askarov
6. Askarov/Drysdale
7. Rossi
8. Perfetti
9. Holtz
10. Sanderson/Lundell

I can't help, but I love Askarov. I know the majority would be disappointed with him as early as top5. I agree that we have bigger holes to fill at forward/center position, but on the other hand kinda have a good feeling about Askarov. Will take time, but he will be a top goalie at NHL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad