Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread: Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yzerman was vocally against a June draft even though it would have seemingly increased our lottery odds by a lot.

That was pretty frustrating to hear. I commend his professionalism but I think he kinda got a free pass around here for that.

Yzerman's comments came before the top 2 locked in part of that rumor. He made them I think the day before they actual showed how much we would benefit.

Having the ability to trade at the draft is going to be big to his vision though, he has a lot of cap space and should be able to get an asset or two. Without an increase in lottery odds we are actually the team with the most cap space in terms of willingness to use it as Ottawa is the other and I am pretty sure Melynk isn't going to weaponize that the same way.

If we wind up without a draft with trading as that remains unclear right now, we will have lost out massively without seeing our odds increase in the same way as the first rumor, so we would be done in hard twice in that scenario.

I mean don't float this if you're not going to fight for it as the league.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Yzerman's comments came before the top 2 locked in part of that rumor. He made them I think the day before they actual showed how much we would benefit.

Having the ability to trade at the draft is going to be big to his vision though, he has a lot of cap space and should be able to get an asset or two. Without an increase in lottery odds we are actually the team with the most cap space in terms of willingness to use it as Ottawa is the other and I am pretty sure Melynk isn't going to weaponize that the same way.

If we wind up without a draft with trading as that remains unclear right now, we will have lost out massively without seeing our odds increase in the same way as the first rumor, so we would be done in hard twice in that scenario.

I mean don't float this if you're not going to fight for it as the league.

The saving grace (and appeal) of the end of season lottery has always been the opportunity to use cap space to acquire additional assets. That said, it does take two to tango and there is no guarantee that we will be able to actually leverage that additional cap space at or before the draft.

I am disappointed, but a big part of me was expecting the status quo (with respect to the Wings at least) as the most likely option.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Him, and every other sports commish getting booed, is the literal manifestation of shooting the messenger. He's an agent on their behalf, not their overlord.
Indeed.

I've grown tired of the boos Gary gets for the past 10 plus years...There's usually a few owners who probably set the tone (Bruins owner Jacobs for example), and the rest probably follow suit.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Well I'm speechless. We just got royally screwed. Again.

This year just keeps getting worse.
Well - not really.

Technically we still have that 'wonderful' 18.5% chance to win the lotto, but as we all know we're likely to drop back a few spots.

Not surprising though...The BoG members want their shot at winning it all, and a top draft pick.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Like Rzombo alluded to, and others I have seen, this lottery news isn’t exactly unexpected at all. The one bit of hope I believed that we were trying to keep a strangle hold on was the June draft concept, and that’s likely short sighted on our end. Yzerman’s relative aggression towards not changing the format early on is probably an indicator of how he views this draft. He likely values the salary, roster, and asset flexibility, and further it might indicate that weighing the odds and assessing his short list of players, he may have players tightly bunched in a top 3-4 that he’s confident in.

I think the part that kills me now is the added suspense that this presents. I’m a big fan of a lot of these kids this year; more so than I recall being last year. Obviously you have the big 1-2 up top that many share, but at 3 or 4 I could honestly see 5 or 6 names that I could get excited about pretty much immediately. So acknowledging how many more potential scenarios exist now that we have a strong chance at picking 3 or 4, and the fact that they basically reassigned the lottery format that could have been rolled out as early as tomorrow, but we have to wait a month just to get some added clarity...not really helping the anticipation.

Reactions: Darkseider

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is clearly the result of Bench and TZE worshiping that false idol Askarov...

giphy.gif

You know aside from prepare you for us not being shocked at #4 when it happens...:laugh:

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'm going to take serious heat for this one, but picking at #4 makes me afraid they'll take Drysdale. Do not want. After watching that Scouching video, I'm worried about his defensive IQ. He's not skilled enough to be weak in his own end.

Agreed, plus RHD is just about the only position that we actually have depth (Hronek, Seider, Lindstrom, Tuomisto).

I'm even more scared of Yzerman taking Askarov because he's the guy that drafted Vasilevskiy, and Yzerman has proven he isn't scared to make bold decisions on draft day.

I'm praying Stutzle is somehow there at 4 for the taking. But if it goes Laf, Byfield, Stutzle, I will be mad because I think there is a huge drop after the top 3. I don't want Drysdale because we have RHD, and I don't even think he's guaranteed to be anything more than a 2nd pair guy. I guess I would personally take Raymond at 4, but even this seems underwhelming when I all but convinced myself that Laf, Byfield or Stutzle will be a Wing. I just hope one of the 3 teams that pass us in the draft really want Drysdale.

Reactions: Darkseider

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't know, I feel like I have a pretty good reverse jinx in on this being one of the only people that doesn't want Lafreniere #1..... They have to off-set a little right???

Lol - yeah sometimes I feel like the reverse-jinx is the right play, who freaking knows.

Just praying this works out for us in the end, we need a difference maker outta this draft desperately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad