Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread: Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
If we don't win the lottery I'm hoping for Stutzle. Even over Byfield. Byfield has undeniable strengths with his size, speed, and hands but I just think Stutzle has the edge with his IQ (while being no slouch in skating and hands himself). I honestly see a Zetterberg in him and that is just too valuable a player to have long term to pass up. I see less boom and bust in him than Byfield. Not that Byfield is likely to bust in any significant way, just that if his IQ and compete level hold him back from becoming a superstar he may be considered one to a degree. But with Stutzle I see a really strong chance that he is at minimum a 60pt player and likely 70+ point while being a great 200ft player and leader. To have another 1-2 punch down the middle of elite 200ft centres would be huge for this rebuild.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I gotcha covered, my man:

Wheeler: "If I have one outstanding concern with Byfield’s game it’s his defensive play. There are little things like his faceoff ability (he’s 50 percent on draws this season, which normally translates to the mid-to-high 40s at the NHL level) and more pronounced things like his first couple of steps and the way they can contribute to him standing around instead of closing off on opposing players, as well as his tendency to misread plays."

Eddy Jones (the Hockey Writers): "If I had to pick an area for improvement, he could stand to be a bit more physical off the puck. The term “gentle giant” is a good fit. He uses his size well to protect the puck but tends to shy away from contact."

HFBoards poster livingod included some clips in his video review to illustrate concerns about his defensive play (you can see the video here).

They're the two most commonly raised concerns for Byfield once you start looking through a lot of scouting reports. If you watch him play yourself and come to different conclusions, that's another matter.

I'm not a big fan of Wheeler personally, and I don't really see his defensive game as an issue.

I mean the kid was 17 at the start of the season, seems a little much to think his defensive game should be flawless already to go along with what he can do offensively. I think over time he will be really good there, he is a tremendous athlete, no reason to think he doesn't project very well as a 2 way player at the next level. It is probably something NHL coaches will be able to help him achieve over time. I have not heard of any character issues or anything like that.

Despite his size, I just don't think Byfield is going to be a super physical guy. Doesn't really seem like his demeanor. But his physical tools will still help him a ton tremendously... as far as his reach, strength, skating... will make it a chore to try and take the puck from him.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
After watching clips and gathering everyone’s thoughts, here’s where I’ve landed. Whatever happens, my trust is in the Yzerplan.

Lafraniere
Byfield
Stutzle
Drysdale
Perfetti/Rossi/Lundell (can’t really make up my kind here)

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Byfield doesn't strike me as being elite defensively, but he also does not strike me as being awful or clueless either when I have watched. As long as a prospect appreciates the necessity of contributing at the defensive end of the ice, I am pretty confident that their defensive game will improve, especially when they are as young as Byfield.

Byfield does not, however, use his size as frequently as he probably should without the puck. That is a legit criticism in my opinion.

I haven't seen enough of Yzerman as a Wings GM to know how "strict" he is about anything. We need to see a bigger sample size. Centers with Byfield's size, athleticism, skating and skill don't grow on trees.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'm not a big fan of Wheeler personally, and I don't really see his defensive game as an issue.

I mean the kid was 17 at the start of the season, seems a little much to think his defensive game should be flawless already to go along with what he can do offensively. I think over time he will be really good there, he is a tremendous athlete, no reason to think he doesn't project very well as a 2 way player at the next level. It is probably something NHL coaches will be able to help him achieve over time. I have not heard of any character issues or anything like that.

Despite his size, I just don't think Byfield is going to be a super physical guy. Doesn't really seem like his demeanor. But his physical tools will still help him a ton tremendously... as far as his reach, strength, skating... will make it a chore to try and take the puck from him.

It really hasn't been a chore to take the puck from Byfield this year, though. In the games I've watched he's been very good in open ice but when things get sticky in the corner he's getting stripped of the puck and it starts going in the other direction. For all his talent and size he isn't displaying that same fire in his belly as some of the other top 5 picks. If he had the same fire as Stutzle or Lafreniere in his belly then Byfield would be the #1 pick in the draft

Byfield is also a better finisher than a playmaker, despite a higher number of assists than goals. His wrist shot is probably harder than most players slapshot. I don't think he'll be the player driving possession on his line in the NHL, though. Maybe more the finisher?

I think he'll be a good player in the league but I don't think he'll be the 30g/50a/80pt powerhouse 1990's center that some people think.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It really hasn't been a chore to take the puck from Byfield this year, though. In the games I've watched he's been very good in open ice but when things get sticky in the corner he's getting stripped of the puck and it starts going in the other direction. For all his talent and size he isn't displaying that same fire in his belly as some of the other top 5 picks. If he had the same fire as Stutzle or Lafreniere in his belly then Byfield would be the #1 pick in the draft

Byfield is also a better finisher than a playmaker, despite a higher number of assists than goals. His wrist shot is probably harder than most players slapshot. I don't think he'll be the player driving possession on his line in the NHL, though. Maybe more the finisher?

I think he'll be a good player in the league but I don't think he'll be the 30g/50a/80pt powerhouse 1990's center that some people think.

Stutzle has more fire than Byfield? based on...?

I feel like it is hard to compare those two when one is playing on bigger ice and also a different style of hockey. 9 out of the 10 NHL scouts Bob Mckenzie polled in January had Byfield as the #2 player in this draft. I do feel like we are nitpicking with some of this stuff.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

AttilaTheFun

Nov 18, 2018

I mentioned this already on the prospect board but the way he shoots puts me in mind of Hossa. The way the sorta charges into the zone and fires off laser beam wrist shots without breaking stride. It's a really exciting aspect of his game.

I haven't seen enough of Yzerman as a Wings GM to know how "strict" he is about anything. We need to see a bigger sample size. Centers with Byfield's size, athleticism, skating and skill don't grow on trees.

That was a quote from Hakan Andersson after the '19 draft. This video at 6:14.

There's a ton to like about Byfield especially given his age. He also has a reputation as a super dedicated and hard-working kid. I'm sure they'll do their homework but I won't be surprised whichever way they go.

Last edited:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Imagine a PP of Zadina or Mantha - Byfield - Larkin, Mantha-Hronek on the point.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Is the draft lottery still on schedule for the ninth? I haven’t heard a word about it being postponed

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Just imagine how much people would not like Malkin because he is another gentle giant. :)

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
He is my dream at 32 and one of the few I would actually consider trading up for. He has a really nice combination of skill and hockey IQ.
I dont like this idea at all. I am sure he will be a 2nd round pick. We have 3 2nd round picks, the 32nd overall and 2 picks between 50 and 60. If he is available, get him. The 2nd round is stacked with players, I HATE to see them trade their 2nd round picks for a late 1st.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
hockeyprospect.com, eliteprosects, and Craig Button all have him ranked top 20.

Good for them, I personally believe there are better players available in the top 20, even the 1st round than Brisson. That's why I have him going in the 2nd round. I can be wrong ofcourse and we will see what the future holds.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I dont like this idea at all. I am sure he will be a 2nd round pick. We have 3 2nd round picks, the 32nd overall and 2 picks between 50 and 60. If he is available, get him. The 2nd round is stacked with players, I HATE to see them trade their 2nd round picks for a late 1st.

Consider means consider. Like you I am not actively looking to trade up but I will consider anything at the right price. He is a clear first-round talent in my book and I know that he was getting a lot of scouting attention before the season ended. He isn't exactly an obscure prospect.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
If we don't get Drysdale in first than we should get defenseman at 32, I think some promising still going to be available at 32

I think getting either Poirier or Cormier at 32 would be great if we were targeting a defenceman, my preference is for Cormier. My plan would be to target the 1st round fallers as most years someone in the 10-20 range falls to the 30-35 range and ends up being labeled a "steal".

Reactions: lilidk

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I think we could avoid defenceman totally in this draft and worry about them at next year.

i dont think we should "avoid" them but none of the dmen in this draft excite me and i wouldnt be upset if we didnt take one until the later rounds

Reactions: Darkseider
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia