Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread: Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
When I watch Drysdale, I just don't see Hughes or Makar level crazy talent. He's very good, but he just doesn't seem like he really does any one thing at an elite level. Even his skating seems more fluid than the crazy burner speed you get with those other guys. I wasn't into Makar at all in his draft year, but I still remember how crazy his skating seemed to me. Hughes, too.

Drysdale is more Hesikanen/Chabot than Makar/Hughes. I disagree with you on his skating, I think it is very comparable to Makar at the same age.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
When all of this is over and games will resumes , I like to see who doesn't loose a step and if we get #4 ,get him. After watching Drysdale at u20 I think he's the one

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
The only kicker about taking a dman is next draft is supposed to be loaded with top tier defenseman talent. So if drafted, I suspect Yzerman will be using 3 first draft picks on dman. That might put our defensemen depth deeper than even Nashville has ever seen. And, like Nashville, Wings will be weak on centers and scoring depth.

I think it's easier to hit on say, scoring wingers, later in the draft than Dmen. The C depth will be weak but if our rebuild is going to work we have to hit on later rounds regardless. I'm a fan of building the D first, but weak C depth is a huge issue for sure. Yzerman knows what he's doing though so I have confidence he will make the right picks.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I don't get the Drysdale hype. Can someone explain why he is top 4 talent?

because hes the only top 10 worthy D in the draft so people are hyper focused on him and whoever drafts him in the top 5 will be hella disappointed when they get a #4D rather than a top line forward

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I don't get the Drysdale hype. Can someone explain why he is top 4 talent?
Did you like Bowen byram?

drysdale is,

better skater (arguably the best skater in this draft)
As good offensively
Better defensively

putting it as simply as possible

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Did you like Bowen byram?

drysdale is,

better skater (arguably the best skater in this draft)
As good offensively
Better defensively

putting it as simply as possible

No, I liked Seider more than Byram. I do believe there are more impactful players available from 1 to 4 than Drysdale. Right now I have him at 7, after Lafreniere, Byfield, Rossi, Stutzle and Raymond.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I’m not seeing the offensive upside with Drysdale to warrant the hype. Can someone please convince me?
In what way aren’t you seeing it? He’s pacing the same as byram last year statistically and he’s extremely dangerous while watching games.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It's just so weird, because some people do compare him to those guys. They're talking about how he could be the next Makar. I thought I might be going crazy, because I don't see that game in him at all. I guess I'm not the only one.

But, okay, fine, he's a two-way guy. In a sense, I feel like that makes my point for me. I find it hard to see how we can talk about using as high as a 2nd overall pick (yeah, people are saying that) on a 5'11 two-way guy who doesn't project as that elite offensive defenseman type. You have some really high end forward prospects available at that slot. It would just strike me as drafting for need, except it's not even really a need anymore because the Wings have taken so many promising defensemen lately, so I'm not sure what it would be. But it doesn't seem like the value would be right. Even at #3, I'm not sure. #4, okay, I can see that as anyone's game.

I wouldnt use second on him but if the wings took a Pietrangelo or Doughty at 3rd or 4th overall would you consider it a reach? Just because he doesnt skate end to end and dangle to create his offense doesnt mean he doesnt effectively create offense. Lidstrom produced without barely ever going below the top of the circles.

Drysdale is going to be a guy you can play with the net empty or the other teams net empty, unlike those other guys.

I’m not seeing the offensive upside with Drysdale to warrant the hype. Can someone please convince me?

Have you watched him at all? He was the third leading scorer on his OHL team as a draft eligible. The next closest dman to him was a drafted overager that was 20 points behind him. He put up 3 points in 7 games at the WJC as a draft eligible.

You wont see the highlight reel end to end rushes but he does them from time to time. But hes a very good offensive dman

Reactions: mantha39

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Have you watched him at all? He was the third leading scorer on his OHL team as a draft eligible. The next closest dman to him was a drafted overager that was 20 points behind him. He put up 3 points in 7 games at the WJC as a draft eligible.

Just sounds like he is a bit of overrated, because he is the only one D and best on his class. Still he could be just 5th-8th best BPA, because there's a great class of forwards.

No doubt that he is skilled, but I just have a feeling in here, that people can't put him on a pespective, because there's no competition.

His production is poor compared to Byram. Less points per game, less points per team, not much goals like best defencemen seem to have at juniors. Older age by 2 months and 2 inches smaller guy.

Everything cumulates and Byram looks far better in a comparison.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
His production is poor compared to Byram. Less points per game, less points per team, not much goals like best defencemen seem to have at juniors. Older age by 2 months and 2 inches smaller guy.

You. can't. evaluate. players. just. based. on. what's. on. paper.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You. can't. evaluate. players. just. based. on. what's. on. paper.

Did I say so?

It's one area, and there's many other areas. Age and team "everything"-adjusted stats are very good base for comparison. Better than just stats.

Other prospect ranks tend to tell the same. Pupulistic ranks seem to push him higher to add discussion. And proably he is picked higher, because some desprete team are going after him. Then the populistic ranker will "win". After 10 years we see the reality.

I've read analyzes and watched videos and putting everything together.

And my opinion is that Drysdale is out of Top4 in BPA. He could be drafted higher than that, no doubt. And I hope that that team is not Detroit Red Wings.

Last edited:
Reactions: jfrank21

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
My take:

A. Drysdale is a very high-end skater. Anyone questioning his skating is barking up the wrong tree.
B. Drysdale is not a super creative offensive player and does not push the pace as much as Makar. He is a bit more deliberate in his puck movement. Makar makes decisions super fast and plays even faster than he skates. While a great skater, he does not rely on his skating as much as Hughes to move the puck. He has a much more developed sense of the game defensviely than Hughes did in his draft year.
C. Drysdale is far better offensively than anyone currently in the Wings' system in terms of defensemen.
D. I wouldn't take him before 4, but think he is a reasonable option at or after 4.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Did I say so?

It's one area, and there's many other areas. Age and team "everything"-adjusted stats are very good base for comparison. Better than just stats.

Other prospect ranks tend to tell the same. Pupulistic ranks seem to push him higher to add discussion. And proably he is picked higher, because some desprete team are going after him. Then the populistic ranker will "win". After 10 years we see the reality.

I've read analyzes and watched videos and putting everything together.

And my opinion is that Drysdale is out of Top4 in BPA. He could be drafted higher than that, no doubt. And I hope that that team is not Detroit Red Wings.

I have him ranked 5, but think it would be reasonable to take him 3/4.

Out of curiosity - Do you think Heiskanen was worth where he was taken?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Just sounds like he is a bit of overrated, because he is the only one D and best on his class. Still he could be just 5th-8th best BPA, because there's a great class of forwards.

No doubt that he is skilled, but I just have a feeling in here, that people can't put him on a pespective, because there's no competition.

Its called watching him play. Even at the WJC as the tournament on he looked like one of Canadas better dmen on a gold winning team as a draft eligible player

His production is extremely comparable to Byrams on a worse teams if you want to stat watch. When you take teammates and different leagues into account, Drysdale has very comparable production while being ahead defensively and a better skater.

Everything doesnt cumulate to make Byram look better. You looking at their hockeydb pages cumulates and it makes Byram look slightly better offensively. Drysdale is a better prospect than Byram at the same age. Theres a reason Drysdale has been touted for years as one of the top players in this draft. Its not like he magically just started getting hype when other dmen had bad draft years. Hes a legit, potential number one/top pairing dman. At draft time, a better prospect than Byram.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
My take:

A. Drysdale is a very high-end skater. Anyone questioning his skating is barking up the wrong tree.
B. Drysdale is not a super creative offensive player and does not push the pace as much as Makar. He is a bit more deliberate in his puck movement. Makar makes decisions super fast and plays even faster than he skates. While a great skater, he does not rely on his skating as much as Hughes to move the puck. He has a much more developed sense of the game defensviely than Hughes did in his draft year.
C. Drysdale is far better offensively than anyone currently in the Wings' system in terms of defensemen.
D. I wouldn't take him before 4, but think he is a reasonable option at or after 4.

Who do you have at 3?

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
What a strange end. I don't even know how to address it. We suffered through nearly that entire miserable season and now this instead of moving on to the lottery and draft.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
What a strange end. I don't even know how to address it. We suffered through nearly that entire miserable season and now this instead of moving on to the lottery and draft.

I would much rather be in the wings situation than a team like Tampa or the Bruins. The wings sucked, but those teams are missing out on a year of their cores prime for a cup run. I would be miserable if this happened in 2008 to the wings

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Do we have a timeline of when we'll know how the draft is being handled, or is it a week-to-week thing, dependant on COVID-19 news?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad