Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread: Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Perrault I could see being the one that falls from that group.

I'm with you on the 3 dmen at the top of the second, but what do you think about Mysak early second?

I'd love to get Mysak, Perreault, Chromiak, or whomever it is that is this years Brink/Kaliyev. I think if you look at the last 2-3 drafts there's always good forwards that fall out of the 1st. In 2019 you had the aforementioned Brink/Kaliyev, 2018 Berrgren/Veleno (he's close enough :laugh:), 2017 Boqvist/Robertson/Heponiemi, 2016 had Kyrou/DeBrincat. My preference would be to go with which player has fallen the most. I think that could be Lukas Cormier or Seth Jarvis this year, either would have me excited.

heard good things about danil gushchin on Scouching(youtube).

scouching says he(5'8) would be solidly a 1st round pick if 2 inches taller.

according to scouching hes worth a 2nd.

I could see it. He shows up really well stats wise and he had a good D-1 season. I'm not sure I'd take him at 32, but he's definitely someone I'd love to snag with our late 2nds.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I know it's still a while away, potentially 6 months if some of the potential schedules are to believed, but I think it would be fun to a "Mock Draft" using our picks and an averaged draft list. The first page contains the top 77 prospects and the other tab next to it contains the rest of the ranked players. It's always fun to have to make a choice and then live with the decision. I know for a lot of these prospects I flip flop on their positions relative to one another quite a bit and this is fun way of deciding who you really value.

The idea is that we can treat those players listed as the way draft has played out up to our pick. For example, we can assume that Seth Jarvis was taken at #31 and is therefore ineligible to be selected at #32.

If you would prefer to use pick 1, 2, or 3 instead of 4 that's fine too. I just used 4 because it is where we are most likely to end up. You also don't have to do the entire draft, if you only know the top 60, just do up to the 2nd round.

#4: Marco Rossi (C)
#32: Lukas Reichel (W)
#54: Martin Chromiak (W)
#58: Connor McClennon (W)
#63: William Villeneuve (D)
#66: Daniel Torgersson (W)
#116: Artur Akhtyamov (G)
#125: James Hardie (F)
#156: Mitchell Miller (D)
#187: Tomi Niku (D)

This was my 1st go at one, I based my picks off my previous posted list. I tried not to cheat and look ahead to see which players that I had ranked higher on my list would still be available later on. The hardest pick was #32 and deciding between Reichel and Miettinen. I went with Reichel because I felt that he was the least likely to fall to our later 2nds. I also decided to take Villeneueve and drop down a tier because I had yet to draft a dman and wanted to take at least one before the gap in picks. I was really happy to be able to draft both Miller and Niku with the last 2 picks as I think both are worthy top 90 picks and I think they project as bottom 3 level defenceman, both were also the BPA at their picks.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
This guy breaks down Drysdale's game really well. I love defencemen that can skate, especially as well as he does.

Pair Drysdale with Seider and we have a D pairing that can pass, skate, defend and move the puck very well.
Both guys have high hockey IQ and the the same handedness issue isn't that big of a deal.
I'd love to pick this guy in the draft. This video bumped him up even more for me. I love the guys skating and think it will transition smoothly to the NHL.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I see some Kris Letang with this kid.

The only thing is Drysdale in junior is far better defensively than Letang was. I think thats why the Pietrangelo comparison was used, although I agree Drysdale's offensive potential is more in line with Letang.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008

You know what, that little dude is impressive.

(Talking about Garreffa)

As much as I like Rossi, he's 1. One of the oldest players in the draft and 2. Playing with tremendous older players namely Keating, Garreffa, and Hoefenmayer. It's not the whole story of course, but I think it boosts his production a decent amount. Definitely in the mix at 4, just something that makes me pump the brakes a little bit. Concerns me more than size with him, partly because other options like Raymond and Perfetti are also on the small side.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

(Talking about Garreffa)

As much as I like Rossi, he's 1. One of the oldest players in the draft and 2. Playing with tremendous older players namely Keating, Garreffa, and Hoefenmayer. It's not the whole story of course, but I think it boosts his production a decent amount. Definitely in the mix at 4, just something that makes me pump the brakes a little bit. Concerns me more than size with him, partly because other options like Raymond and Perfetti are also on the small side.
You don't think those guys produce more because they play with Rossi, rather than the other way around? I mean, sure, those guys finish the plays, but Rossi is the one getting the puck on their sticks over and over.

For my money, Rossi looks a *lot* like a Zetterberg type player. Very high IQ playmaking center who isn't the biggest or the fastest, but doesn't lose board battles, and plays a solid two-way game.

I've heard it said before that Rossi isn't as skilled as some of the other guys in that first tier, and I think this video shows that's not true.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
You don't think those guys produce more because they play with Rossi, rather than the other way around? I mean, sure, those guys finish the plays, but Rossi is the one getting the puck on their sticks over and over.

For my money, Rossi looks a *lot* like a Zetterberg type player. Very high IQ playmaking center who isn't the biggest, but doesn't lose board battles, and plays a solid two-way game.

I've heard it said before that Rossi isn't as skilled as some of the other guys in that first tier, and I think this video shows that's not true.
I don't mean it in that way. They are a tremendous group and benefit mutually IMO. I think Rossi has a favourable situation compared to other prospects, in which he can still be the primary force. What I am really getting at is maybe we should not only be seriously considering Rossi but looking at signing Hoefenmayer, or Keating, or even Garreffa. Garreffa looks like a career AHL guy I think but that also brings talent to the organization that helps future prospects develop. If you watch the 67s, even in these highlights you will see Hoefenmayer and Garreffa making things happen.

I think that Lafreniere is picking up Cedric Pare statistically much more than Rossi is doing for his teammates. So I just think that you have to take Rossi numbers with a grain of salt in comparison. (Pare also shows great chemistry with Lafreniere and seems to have come a long way in his own right, ....he's also a 21 year old forward with size in jrs...)

Reactions: Darkseider

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

For my money, Rossi looks a *lot* like a Zetterberg type player. Very high IQ playmaking center who isn't the biggest or the fastest, but doesn't lose board battles, and plays a solid two-way game.

If Zetterberg was 2-3 inches shorter would he have been able to do all that he did?

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

(Talking about Garreffa)

As a "pro Rossi" at 3 person my rational is as you said a mutual beneficial thing between all of them. As a line they all averaged at least a 20 shooting % at ES and they had a 15-30% on the PP. The 67's were going to be a high octane offensive team given that, but Rossi appears to be the one that drives the bus. He had a reasonable IPP at ES which indicates he wasn't getting lucky by just being a passenger on a line; he has the highest EV points per game, both primary and total; has the highest PP points per game, at both primary and total; and he has the best GF% rel on the team at ES. The GF% Rel is one of the best in the draft and around the same level as other elite scorers like Byfield, Perfetti, Jarvis, and Lafreniere. He has also been an elite scorer at every level he has played in dating back to his time in the Swiss U-20 league. His D-2 numbers were comparable to Hischier & Ehlers and he had also had success in the NLB that season too.

I think it's fair to wonder if his numbers indicate that he'll be a Kane level scorer, but I think his resume indicates he should be able to produce at least 60 points given the proper ice time and there may be more offense in his game than that. Given he may be the top two-way player in the draft I think that would be an acceptable type of player to take in the top 3/5 of the draft. I also think the size concerns are a little unwarranted as he doesn't play much of a perimeter style game, this is his goal chart for the past year. We've seen skilled players like Nylander and Marchand make it by playing a similar type of game and I think Rossi has enough gumption and skill to make it work at the NHL level as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

He has higher potential than Zetterberg had , but it is all depends how he progress

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I won't cry if we draft Rossi, but I remain more skeptical about him than anyone else slated to go top 5-10. Just my 2 cents. I think he is a great passer and has great vision. I'm not sure about the rest of his game offensively, and I am not sure what will happen when he has less time/space.

I think Rossi is a bit overhyped because of his stats. He is not a guy I would put top 5 personally, and that probably won't change for me from now til whenever the draft is.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He has higher potential than Zetterberg had , but it is all depends how he progress

A lot of guys have, but Zetterberg likely gets onto the Hall of Fame. I doubt Rossi can be that caliber of player.

A heavier Tyler Johnson is kind of what he reminds me of. I think he will be a pretty decent #2c but we will see. I really don't see the star in him though.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Pair Drysdale with Seider and we have a D pairing that can pass, skate, defend and move the puck very well.
Both guys have high hockey IQ and the the same handedness issue isn't that big of a deal.
I'd love to pick this guy in the draft. This video bumped him up even more for me. I love the guys skating and think it will transition smoothly to the NHL.

I think if Wings are drafting 3rd or 4th, then Drysdale is, without doubt, the BPA. And I think you should always take BPA.

The only kicker about taking a dman is next draft is supposed to be loaded with top tier defenseman talent. So if drafted, I suspect Yzerman will be using 3 first draft picks on dman. That might put our defensemen depth deeper than even Nashville has ever seen. And, like Nashville, Wings will be weak on centers and scoring depth.

That said, how do you NOT take Drysdale at #3 or #4 if he falls in your lap? The best absolute case scenario for Wings will be to win the freakin' lottery this year so we aren't faced with this predicament. Laf or Byfield would pretty much mean the world for the rebuild right now.

Reactions: MoritzSeiderAtSix

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Others think he is not BPA at #3 or #4.

At 5th-8th range.

I think he is better than Byram, I am surprised he hasn't picked up more steam for the #3 spot to be honest. He is an explosive athlete and has terrific offensive instincts. I also think he uses his skating well to gap up. I find him to be a very exciting prospect on the back-end. I am curious why he isn't more favored with certain scouts. I like what I see.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89
Jul 30, 2005
When I watch Drysdale, I just don't see Hughes or Makar level crazy talent. He's very good, but he just doesn't seem like he really does any one thing at an elite level. Even his skating seems more fluid than the crazy burner speed you get with those other guys. I wasn't into Makar at all in his draft year, but I still remember how crazy his skating seemed to me. Hughes, too.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
When I watch Drysdale, I just don't see Hughes or Makar level crazy talent. He's very good, but he just doesn't seem like he really does any one thing at an elite level. Even his skating seems more fluid than the crazy burner speed you get with those other guys. I wasn't into Makar at all in his draft year, but I still remember how crazy his skating seemed to me. Hughes, too.
You never know, he can Improve his skating. Panarin was not drafted probably because his skating.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think if Wings are drafting 3rd or 4th, then Drysdale is, without doubt, the BPA. And I think you should always take BPA.

The only kicker about taking a dman is next draft is supposed to be loaded with top tier defenseman talent. So if drafted, I suspect Yzerman will be using 3 first draft picks on dman. That might put our defensemen depth deeper than even Nashville has ever seen. And, like Nashville, Wings will be weak on centers and scoring depth.

That said, how do you NOT take Drysdale at #3 or #4 if he falls in your lap? The best absolute case scenario for Wings will be to win the freakin' lottery this year so we aren't faced with this predicament. Laf or Byfield would pretty much mean the world for the rebuild right now.

It would be a tough choice for me at 4, I think Drysdale is my favourite to go 4th. But at 3? Pretty easy to take Byfield or Stutzle as potential franchise centers over him.

Hughes and Makar are one type of similar dman. Just because Drysdale plays a different style of game doesnt mean he isnt talented in his own way. Drysdale is ahead of those guys defensively, and doesnt go on a bunch of end to end rushes to show off his elite skating but good luck getting by him as a forward with his skating. Hes an extremely high end skater.

Drysdale is more of a 2 way dman like Doughty. He'll impact both ends of the ice more than those guys will. Seider also doesnt have elite level crazy talent but I wouldnt be surprised if he impacts a game at a similar level to Hughes at all

Reactions: jkutswings
Jul 30, 2005
Hughes and Makar are one type of similar dman. Just because Drysdale plays a different style of game doesnt mean he isnt talented in his own way. Drysdale is ahead of those guys defensively, and doesnt go on a bunch of end to end rushes to show off his elite skating but good luck getting by him as a forward with his skating. Hes an extremely high end skater.

Drysdale is more of a 2 way dman like Doughty. He'll impact both ends of the ice more than those guys will. Seider also doesnt have elite level crazy talent but I wouldnt be surprised if he impacts a game at a similar level to Hughes at all
It's just so weird, because some people do compare him to those guys. They're talking about how he could be the next Makar. I thought I might be going crazy, because I don't see that game in him at all. I guess I'm not the only one.

But, okay, fine, he's a two-way guy. In a sense, I feel like that makes my point for me. I find it hard to see how we can talk about using as high as a 2nd overall pick (yeah, people are saying that) on a 5'11 two-way guy who doesn't project as that elite offensive defenseman type. You have some really high end forward prospects available at that slot. It would just strike me as drafting for need, except it's not even really a need anymore because the Wings have taken so many promising defensemen lately, so I'm not sure what it would be. But it doesn't seem like the value would be right. Even at #3, I'm not sure. #4, okay, I can see that as anyone's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad