NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
Yeah, wasn't harping on you for the comparison (I mean, I made a Mario comp, that would be throwing stones in a glass house :laugh: ). I can definitely see why people look at a 16 year old who is 6'4 ~215lbs and immediately jump to the Lindros comp. Lindros was just a different beast with his physicality and demeanor that it would be tough for anyone these days to play like that. Like I said, maybe we'll see him up his physical play now that he's not a rookie/more established in the league.

I just think them main difference is that (from my viewings) Byfield uses his size as a deterrent for others (holding on to the puck and letting guys bounce off him) similar to guys like Lemieux or Jagr as opposed to just flat out going out there to kill guys like prime Lindros did.
I started the generational player comparison so I have to take most of the blame :laugh:.

Thanks for the info. Since we look like we are sucking and have a our first I'm going to try and follow the prospects more than usual so appreciate the pseudo scouting report!

The last sentence of your post is pretty much what I enjoyed the most. He was vicious. But in no way do I think you could play close the that kind of game these days. I just want a controlled mean streak, maybe like an angry Buff.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
If we're talking about using that level of guy as a comparable he actually reminds me a lot more of Mario than Lindros.

Big, rangy guy. Uses his size to keep people away, not so much to try and take their heads off. Deceptively good skater (long efficient strides as opposed to the choppy "try hard" style). Looks to pass before taking the shot (the numbers won't back this up, but he didn't have a ton of help in Sudbury hence the ~50/50 split in G's vs A's).

I'm obviously not comparing him to Mario, as that would be crazy, but stylistically that's who I'm reminded of. Maybe he'll start to impose a little bit more physically now that he's not a rookie anymore though.

100% true. Much more like Mario than Lindros. This kid just looks loooong out there. His reach is just so much greater than everyone elses, and like Mario he has the hockey brain to use that to his advantage.

Having said that, Mario could actually play a heavy game when needed, at least with absorbing tons of punishment to make plays. And Byfield has that Crosby like competitiveness, so I dont see him ever being labelled as a guy with a big body but unwilling to use it.

Reactions: West Coast Eagles

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I’m cautiously optimistic as there is a chance that Dorion will make a dumb trade and cost us a high pick, or that he will go off the board for a really nice guy who competes very well,
When your the smartest draft guy in the room there will be some surprises.

I think Lafreniere is the clear cut #1 prospect in this draft. I would not pass on him for anyone else.

I am fully expecting us to trade a couple 2nds to move up to get another 1st and then pick someone ranked 47

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ottawa's 1st rd pick - Quinton Byfield C/LW
Ottawa's 2nd 1st rd pick - Yaroslav Askorov G
Ottawa's 1st 2nd rd pick - Dylan Peterson C/RW
Ottawa's 2nd 2nd rd pick - Will Cuylle LW
Ottawa's 3rd 2nd rd pick - Brandon Coe RW

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
That second pick would be brutal. No reason to pick a goalie there.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I would like Askarov but I don t think he will be there with the San Jose pick

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
If our goalies win the vezina... actually we would trade them buffalo style if this happened i feel.
BBBBBut buffalos goaltending improved. (You can double check that)

Last edited:

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
the lottery is ****ed, we have lost it 2 years in a row now. hard to get excited about Lafreniere or Byfield just yet

The lottery should be like this and televised in real life. Do not trust Bettman.
giphy.gif

Reactions: DJB

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Probably a pipe dream, but I'd love to see Anders Forsberg get a shot at a management position in the Sens organization.

Im sure most Sens fans remember Forsberg very fondly, but for the young kids and newcomers, and those who have forgotten, Anders Forsberg was involved with Hockey Sweden for years in the early 2000s, working with legendary Red Wings scout Hakan Anderson.

Anderson and Bryan Murray had a close relationship from Murray's time as GM in Detroit, and Forsberg came to the Sens in 2007 with glowing recommendations. In '08 the Sens traded up to pick Erik Karlsson, apparently largely based on Forsberg's strong insistence. In 2009 they picked Silfverberg and Lehner in the second and third round.

In 2010 they traded their first rounder for David Rundblad at the draft. Seems like a wasted pick, but no, this is the perfect example of taking a draft pick and multiplying its value in a single season. After the 2010 draft Forsberg went back to Sweden to take a head coaching position for Rundblad's team Skelleftea, and Rundblad jumped from 13 to 50 points, being named the SHL defenseman of the year, and many considered him one of the top prospects in the world. Murray was then able to swap Rundblad for Kyle Turris. They also picked Marcus Sorensen that year, who incidentally, strangely enough, finally played his first full NHL season this year at 27.

In Forsberg's first year with Skelleftea, they went from fourth place to losing in the final. They lost in the final again his second year there, before winning it all in his third. He then promptly left his championship team for greater challenges. Coached two uninteresting seasons for Modo before Tim Murray became GM in Buffalo and recruited him in 2015.

There once again, his employer placed tremendous trust in him, picking out of Sweden with their first two picks of the 2016 draft. While it is too early to write off Alex Nylander, he isn't looking terribly promising. But the second rounder, Rasmus Asplund looks like maybe a gem. In 2017, the Sabres took Linus Weissbach and Marcus Davidsson, both of whom are actually looking like pretty good prospects.

But then Murray was fired and Forsberg returned to Sweden where he attained his first head GM job with fringe SHL team Mora.

The 2020 draft, where the Sens have a ton of high picks, is incidentally loaded with Swedes. Lucas Raymond, Noel Gunler and Alexander Holtz look like high first rounders, but then the likes of Zion Nybeck, Helge Grans, Isak Garfv, Emil Andrae and Oscar Nilsson will be sprinkled through the first two or three rounds. Then for 2021 there's already a couple bluechip prospects emerging in G Jesper Wallstedt and F Isak Rosen.

Currently the Sens are without a director of player personnel. I'd like to see Trent Mann get that position, and Forsberg take his role as director of amateur scouting.

Reactions: derriko

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
the lottery is ****ed, we have lost it 2 years in a row now. hard to get excited about Lafreniere or Byfield just yet
Gotta love that a team like Chicago that was able to build their team with a non-stupid lottery system also gets a top 3 pick while teams like Ottawa, Vancouver and Arizona who have never won a Cup keep dropping multiple spots in the lottery.

It's almost as if leaving something as important as the draft up to so much luck is a terrible idea.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
The lottery should be like this and televised in real life. Do not trust Bettman.
giphy.gif

There is a video of the actual lottery. I saw it last 2 years. I cannot say if they made it before.

There is peoples in the room from teams. I think it was Randy Lee who was there for the Tkachuk year.

Reactions: derriko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad