NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Watching Canada vs Sweden summer showcase.

I'm loving Raymond. Closest Swedish reincarnation I've ever seen to Alfie.

Work ethic is elite. Solid two way guy and highly skilled RW. He is a nice consolation prize for picking at 3.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Watching Canada vs Sweden summer showcase.

I'm loving Raymond. Closest Swedish reincarnation I've ever seen to Alfie.

Work ethic is elite. Solid two way guy and highly skilled RW. He is a nice consolation prize for picking at 3.

Yah, not a bad year to suck.

Byfield and Raymond would probably have contended for 1st overall in most other recent years.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Yah, not a bad year to suck.

Byfield and Raymond would probably have contended for 1st overall in most other recent years.

Most definitely . I think he'd have gone ahead of Hishier had they been in the same draft class.

And for those looking for another Raymond comparable Button compared him to Marner. But I'll add that Raymond actually cares about defence and work ethic

Reactions: derriko

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Most definitely . I think he'd have gone ahead of Hishier had they been in the same draft class.

And for those looking for another Raymond comparable Button compared him to Marner. But I'll add that Raymond actually cares about defence and work ethic

As opposed to Marner who...doesn't?

Reactions: DJB

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Ivan Hlinka I think starts tomorrow .

Byfield , and Cole Perfetti another potential top 10 guy are both on Canada.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Have you watched Marner other than him against the Sens? He’s perfectly competent defensively and has a great work ethic, never giving up on plays.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Have you watched Marner other than him against the Sens? He’s perfectly competent defensively and has a great work ethic, never giving up on plays.

Lol yes of course I've seen him many times.

Hes improved in both those areas dramatically however it isnt on the level of Raymond not even close

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Said this in Byfield's prospect thread on the main boards, but man would he and Tkachuk complement each other perfectly.

Both have a great mix of size, speed and skill.

Reactions: derriko and DJB

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
What's a good modern day comparison for Byfeild? 2006 Eric Staal? We're so starved for a legit #1 prospect. I have my eyes on him the most of any of the top 5.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Lol yes of course I've seen him many times.

Hes improved in both those areas dramatically however it isnt on the level of Raymond not even close
Marner is one of the best defensive wingers in the league. His anticipation and puck stealing ability is extremely elite.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Marner is one of the best defensive wingers in the league. His anticipation and puck stealing ability is extremely elite.

Being a Leaf makes him a superhero player. If he was a Sen, he would get ignored like Stone did for a number of years.

Reactions: DJB

Maraz

Jan 25, 2015
What's the most exciting about Byfield for me is that if he was one month younger he wouldn't even be eligible for 2020 draft.
I wasn't very impressed by his points production last season until I found out that he is much younger that most of his peers.
It's almost as if he scored at nearly PPG pace in OHL in his DY -2.

I'm looking forward to follow him this coming season.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Being a Leaf makes him a superhero player. If he was a Sen, he would get ignored like Stone did for a number of years.
No not really imo.

Marner deserves all the positive credit and accolades he is getting regardless of who he plays for. Dorion would likely have passed on him .. I do believe that.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

Disagree. Marner gets attention because he’s unreal. 94 points in his 3rd year in the league. In Stone’s 3rd year, he scored 54 points and was mostly a disappointment through Ottawa’s long playoff run. He battled injuries and consistency issues in years 2-4. Year 1 he was recognized in finishing 2nd for the Calder. Last year (year 5), he was recognized in finishing 2nd for the Selke.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
No not really imo.

Marner deserves all the positive credit and accolades he is getting regardless of who he plays for. Dorion would likely have passed on him .. I do believe that.

Did Marner at the time of the draft have perceived "low character " concerns? I don't really recall.

I do remember size and work ethic being two huge question marks .

Dorion did pass on Kaliyev for Pinto because of character and so far that looks like a mistake

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Did Marner at the time of the draft have perceived "low character " concerns? I don't really recall.

Dorion did pass on Kaliyev for Pinto because of character and so far that looks like a mistake
I don't recall any character concerns with Marner, imo he was a top 5 lock in a great draft.

There were a couple question marks on Kaliyev but .. Dorion passed on lots of skilled guys; him, Lavoie, Afanasyev, Brink and a few others for Pinto. Can't have too many goalies or tweeners that can maybe play on the 2nd line if everything clicks

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

I wouldn't say that at all. It will take years to know if it's a mistake or not. Kalyiev will have much better stats this season so it will be impossible to compare until the pros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad