NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There is a video of the actual lottery. I saw it last 2 years. I cannot say if they made it before.

There is peoples in the room from teams. I think it was Randy Lee who was there for the Tkachuk year.

The video is made in advance.

This summer, the draft order was leaked well before the draft lotto was shown on air. HF (prospects thread, iirc) was running with the rumor with timestamps long before it was on tv.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Imo, we're set on D and in nets. Lots of high-end potential and depth in those two positions.

The only two question marks for us to become a perennial contender are :
- At forward
- In the spending department ($$$$$$$$$$$) *cough* FYOUS *cough*

If Brown pans out and we pick top-5 next year :

Tkachuk-Lafrenière/Byfield/Lundell-Batherson
Duclair-Brown-Abramov
Formenton-White-Davidsson
Balcers-Norris-C. Brown
Crookshank, Pinto, Chlapik, Veroneau

That is hella deep. RW is a bit weaker but if one (or both :D) of Abramov or Davidsson become top 6ers, then we are more than fine there. And again, if Brown pans out and we pick top 5 but we end up with Raymond or Holtz instead of one of the centers, then that won't even be a worry. That's not so bad for a worst case scenario...

I wish we can fast-forward 11 months, it's gonna give be so annoying watching the bottom 5 standings all year.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
It will be much more enjoyable to watch this team lose this year.

I would love for us to get another 1st Rd Pick out of some of our pending UFAs, but I don’t think San Jose will be as good as they were without Pavelski in the lineup.

If we could walk away with a top 5 pick and someone like Rossi or Foudy, we would be in really good shape.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018

I would love for us to get another 1st Rd Pick out of some of our pending UFAs, but I don’t think San Jose will be as good as they were without Pavelski in the lineup.

If we could walk away with a top 5 pick and someone like Rossi or Foudy, we would be in really good shape.
Honestly, I'm just hoping the sharks miss the playoffs. Anything else is a bonus. But you're right, if we could get a C and a W in the top 15 next year..... :nod:

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

LA and Anaheim will be junk, and I don't think Edmonton will do much better unless you think the difference between Neal and Lucic moves the needle 5-8 wins (it wont).

Vegas and Calgary will be great still which leaves SJ, Arizona and Vancouver for the other spot in the division. I really don't see Van or Zona as major threats to SJ.

I'd expect a later 1st for SJ, but with 3 2nd rounders there's always potential to move up to grab a guy that they like earlier in the first

Reactions: derriko

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Imo, we're set on D and in nets. Lots of high-end potential and depth in those two positions.

- At forward

Duclair-Brown-Abramov
Balcers-Norris-C. Brown

That is hella deep. RW is a bit weaker but if one (or both :D) of Abramov or Davidsson become top 6ers, then we are more than fine there. And again, if Brown pans out and we pick top 5 but we end up with Raymond or Holtz instead of one of the centers, then that won't even be a worry. That's not so bad for a worst case scenario...

I wish we can fast-forward 11 months, it's gonna give be so annoying watching the bottom 5 standings all year.

The problem is that we have no prospects you can look at, other than Batherson, and say this guy will be a legitimate player for us going forward. Brown is a big question mark and much of the success of this team going forward will depend on whether he can be a succesful top 6 C in this league.

The way I see it, we have a lot of guys that look like 3rd liners, potentially middle 6 guys like White, Norris, Pinto, Chlapik, Verroneau, Formenton, Davidsson, Balcers.

I think Balcers has a shot at being a top 6 guy.

Then you have Brown and Abramov that could be legit top 6 guys, but still a lot to prove for both.

We need more quality and less quantity to be a legit contender going forward.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The problem is that we have no prospects you can look at, other than Batherson, and say this guy will be a legitimate player for us going forward. Brown is a big question mark and much of the success of this team going forward will depend on whether he can be a succesful top 6 C in this league.

The way I see it, we have a lot of guys that look like 3rd liners, potentially middle 6 guys like White, Norris, Pinto, Chlapik, Verroneau, Formenton, Davidsson, Balcers.

I think Balcers has a shot at being a top 6 guy.

Then you have Brown and Abramov that could be legit top 6 guys, but still a lot to prove for both.

We need more quality and less quantity to be a legit contender going forward.

So you think Batherson is a top liner? Tkachuk will be as well. That's 2/3rds of a top line.

Weve got a ton of guys to play middle 6 including all the guys you mentioned.

Weve got an elite young pmd and some real quality D prospects.

Only thing we appear to be missing is the 1C. And the jury is out on Brown and there's going to be a top prospect added in June 2020

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

That would make the whole season a success. And getting another 1st, while a long shot, would great. But don’t touch our 2nds or other picks to get it. Some team that loses a goalie might bite for an Anderson plus Tierney type of return. Holes now for us but not next year.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Ottawa finishes last, but loses the lottery to San Jose,whose draft pick moves up to 3rd...

Lafreniere
Byfield
Raymond (Ott)
Holtz (Ott)

We would still have a glaring need at C, unless Brown takes some big steps, but could you imagine? Their chemistry is legit.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
That would make the whole season a success. And getting another 1st, while a long shot, would great. But don’t touch our 2nds or other picks to get it. Some team that loses a goalie might bite for an Anderson plus Tierney type of return. Holes now for us but not next year.

I don’t see any possibility of getting another first. We barely got first for Duschene and Stone. If PD can get a first out of Duclair, Pageau, Anderson, or a pile of 2-3’s he deserves a tonne of credit. Depending how the D develop I’d consider moving Wolanin too.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

- At forward

Duclair-Brown-Abramov
Balcers-Norris-C. Brown

Better stock up on beer! or the harder stuff! :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Better stock up on beer! or the harder stuff! :)

I think there are a lot of chickens being counted and we mostly have eggs at this time. The more high quality grade A large eggs we have, the better off we will be 3 or 4 years down the road.

Last edited:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
We're heading for year three of a Penguins-like bottoming out.

For their troubles they ended up with Crosby, Malkin, Marc Andre Fleury, Ryan Whitney, and Jordan Staal.

After two years we have Tkachuk, and a great chance of being f***ed over by the draft lottery. We need top end talent, and top end means 1st overall and 2nd overall picks.

Reactions: derriko

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

For their troubles they ended up with Crosby, Malkin, Marc Andre Fleury, Ryan Whitney, and Jordan Staal.

After two years we have Tkachuk, and a great chance of being ****ed over by the draft lottery.
We need top end talent, and top end means 1st overall and 2nd overall picks.

I'd argue we also got Thomson as he was acquired with the player that cost us our 1st this past year. We also got Brannstrom from moving Stone, so there's that too.

Crosby > a chance at Lafrenierre
Malkin > ...
Staal <(?) Tkachuk
Ryan Whitney vs Brannstrom/Thomson?
Fleury > ... I guess we could put one of our numerous goalie prospects here.

Tbf, it's not really a model that's fair to compare a team too, nobody is going to land a Malkin and Crosby due from a single tank any time soon.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

After two years we have Tkachuk, and a great chance of being ****ed over by the draft lottery. We need top end talent, and top end means 1st overall and 2nd overall picks.

Although you have a point with regards to drafting a franchise altering player in the #1 and #2 positions of any given draft, it is not impossible to build a successful team with proper scouting and development. Admittedly, some of this franchises greatest teams were built behind players drafted early on, such as Alexei Yashin who the team in turn flipped into Spezza and Chara. It could be argued that we would never have acquired the 2nd overall pick if not for Yashin, however the team was able to pull some magic by transforming a former #12 overall pick (Hossa) into a former 2nd overall pick (Heatley). Now say what you will about their overall careers, which is a different argument entirely, but Heatley did provide the franchise with three to four solid years of high caliber goal scoring and as a cog in arguably the greatest line in hockey at the time.

It also goes without saying that some of the more dominant teams of the past decade had at least one player drafted in the top 3; Crosby, Ovechkin, Kane, Doughty, Malkin, Stamkos, Hedman, Toews. Not surprising that most of these teams have multiple cup wins, however, it is imperative to remember that a team can be built to compete for a championship with draft picks outside of the top 10 and I'll use Ottawa as a relevant example:

If we look at some of this franchises best players of all time, it could be argued that only one of them was drafted in the top 3 of an entry draft and that player is Jason Spezza. The rest, in no particular order of course, are Alfredsson (133rd), Karlsson (14th), Stone (178th), Hoffman (129th overall), Chabot (17th), Hossa (12th), Martin Havlat (26th), Fisher (44th), Vermette (55th), Kelly (94th), Foligno (26th) to name a few. Ironically, some of this team's luck with top 10 picks hasn't quite been something to shine light on, with the likes of Daigle, Berard (luckily flipped for Redden), Brian Lee (still a question mark to this day), Cowen (no longer in the NHL), Zibanejad (no longer here).

Some will disagree of course, but I am of the belief that losing should only come as a last resort, the goal is to always win games and be competitive season after season by making good trades and putting draft picks (regardless of how high or low) in a position to get the proper training and development required to compete at an NHL level.

Reactions: thinkwild

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Although you have a point with regards to drafting a franchise altering player in the #1 and #2 positions of any given draft, it is not impossible to build a successful team with proper scouting and development. Admittedly, some of this franchises greatest teams were built behind players drafted early on, such as Alexei Yashin who the team in turn flipped into Spezza and Chara. It could be argued that we would never have acquired the 2nd overall pick if not for Yashin, however the team was able to pull some magic by transforming a former #12 overall pick (Hossa) into a former 2nd overall pick (Heatley). Now say what you will about their overall careers, which is a different argument entirely, but Heatley did provide the franchise with three to four solid years of high caliber goal scoring and as a cog in arguably the greatest line in hockey at the time.

It also goes without saying that some of the more dominant teams of the past decade had at least one player drafted in the top 3; Crosby, Ovechkin, Kane, Doughty, Malkin, Stamkos, Hedman, Toews. Not surprising that most of these teams have multiple cup wins, however, it is imperative to remember that a team can be built to compete for a championship with draft picks outside of the top 10 and I'll use Ottawa as a relevant example:

If we look at some of this franchises best players of all time, it could be argued that only one of them was drafted in the top 3 of an entry draft and that player is Jason Spezza. The rest, in no particular order of course, are Alfredsson (133rd), Karlsson (14th), Stone (178th), Hoffman (129th overall), Chabot (17th), Hossa (12th), Martin Havlat (26th), Fisher (44th), Vermette (55th), Kelly (94th), Foligno (26th) to name a few. Ironically, some of this team's luck with top 10 picks hasn't quite been something to shine light on, with the likes of Daigle, Berard (luckily flipped for Redden), Brian Lee (still a question mark to this day), Cowen (no longer in the NHL), Zibanejad (no longer here).

Some will disagree of course, but I am of the belief that losing should only come as a last resort, the goal is to always win games and be competitive season after season by making good trades and putting draft picks (regardless of how high or low) in a position to get the proper training and development required to compete at an NHL level.

You are a master debater (say it fast 3 times). You bring up some excellent points.

There is no debate that this team needs to bottom out to give itself the greatest odds at landing a franchise forward.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Who in the top 5 has the best shot of costing the least in the future ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad