NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FightLikeMike

May 16, 2010
How deep is this "deep" draft? Is there value to the 3rd round pick, or is this something PD will be eager to throw with a second rounder to move up?

I guess the follow up Q is whether there will be a more solid consensus on the players in the late first round and into the second.

I realize it's too early to tell at this point, but hey...i didnt start a thread on the 2020 draft in the summer of 2019! ;)

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I haven't seen much of Lundell outside of the World Juniors, but some of the takes in this thread are surprising. The kid looked like an absolute star in the making in those games. I'll make it a point to try and catch (a lot) more of him this upcoming season, but as of right now he's comfortably in the top seven of my (way too early) 2020 Draft rankings.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
To the serious prospect junkies, where do Lafreniere and Byfield tank among top picks in the last 5 years?
I wouldn't quite call myself a junkie, but I try to do my research. I'm super excited for this draft, gonna need to find a way to get tickets.

I'd rank the 1st and 2nd overalls from the past 5 years:

1) McDavid
2) Dahlin, Matthews
3) Eichel, Hughes, Kaako, Laine
4) Hischier, Svechnikov
5) Patrick

Obviously these rankings are subjective.

I'd say Lafreniere is going to be in the 2nd tier, with the potential to get real close to McDavid. Elite level talent, franchise player.

Byfield probably a minor level down, very likely a tier 3 with a good chance to hit that 2nd tier. He still hasn't even turned 17 so he could still explode. I'm really interested to see his year this year.

Also Raymond is a little underrated. He could hit that 2nd tier as well, in my opinion.

I'd cry tears I'd joy if we landed Lafreniere, that's an easy one. But Byfield and Raymond are some of the best consolation prizes in draft history. This is why we need to be bad nex year. Having Tkachuk and Batherson as our 2nd and 3rd best forwards isn't a horrible thing.

Imagine losing the lottery and ending up with:

Duclair-Byfield-Batherson
Tkachuk-Brown-White
Formenton-Norris-Balcers

All are 23 or younger. That's a pretty good future top 9. To go with our unreal future top 4.

:popcorn:

I just hope we pay them when it's time.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
To the serious prospect junkies, where do Lafreniere and Byfield tank among top picks in the last 5 years?

It’s easy to call Lafreniere a big-time, can’t-miss prospect based off of what he’s done in 2 years in the Q.
Tougher to say with Byfield. He might not even go 2nd overall. He had a real nice rookie year in the OHL, but wasn’t quite a point per game. We’ll see how his offense develops this year. At this point last year, Cozens was the big, strong skilled Canadian center people were gushing over. Then he didn’t quite deliver offensively and fell a bit.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I have a question for us all. I feel like this could use a thread and poll all of its own but I hate making threads.

I believe that we will be better than we think we are next season, finishing around the 75 point range and drafting around 6-10. With that said...

If we had the opportunity to trade up to get Byfield at 2 for the cost of all our picks up to round 4, would/should we do it?

Is Byfield worth six top 70 picks in a very deep draft year?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I wouldn't quite call myself a junkie, but I try to do my research. I'm super excited for this draft, gonna need to find a way to get tickets.

I'd rank the 1st and 2nd overalls from the past 5 years:

1) McDavid
2) Dahlin, Matthews
3) Eichel, Hughes, Kaako, Laine
4) Hischier, Svechnikov
5) Patrick

Obviously these rankings are subjective.

I'd say Lafreniere is going to be in the 2nd tier, with the potential to get real close to McDavid. Elite level talent, franchise player.

Byfield probably a minor level down, very likely a tier 3 with a good chance to hit that 2nd tier. He still hasn't even turned 17 so he could still explode. I'm really interested to see his year this year.

Also Raymond is a little underrated. He could hit that 2nd tier as well, in my opinion.

I'd cry tears I'd joy if we landed Lafreniere, that's an easy one. But Byfield and Raymond are some of the best consolation prizes in draft history. This is why we need to be bad nex year. Having Tkachuk and Batherson as our 2nd and 3rd best forwards isn't a horrible thing.

Imagine losing the lottery and ending up with:

Duclair-Byfield-Batherson
Tkachuk-Brown-White
Formenton-Norris-Balcers

All are 23 or younger. That's a pretty good future top 9. To go with our unreal future top 4.

:popcorn:

I just hope we pay them when it's time.
Byfield is the one I want ....6.4 214 pounds.....With skill and good attitude and work ethic.....The more I see him the more I think he has to be the one,he has all the tools and what looks like the desire to work to getting there

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

I think Byfield is the best thing since sliced bread. I've always come away impressed every single time I've watched him.

All that being said, given the depth of next years draft (especially in the top half of the 1st round) that would be way too much to give up, imo. The drop off between Byfield and Lundell/Rossi/Foudy doesn't seem to be worth a 1st, three 2nds, a 3rd and a 4th.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I have a question for us all. I feel like this could use a thread and poll all of its own but I hate making threads.

I believe that we will be better than we think we are next season, finishing around the 75 point range and drafting around 6-10. With that said...

If we had the opportunity to trade up to get Byfield at 2 for the cost of all our picks up to round 4, would/should we do it?

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if that happens. Sens always seem to find a way to play their way out of the top 5 picks in a great draft year.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think Byfield is the best thing since sliced bread. I've always come away impressed every single time I've watched him.

All that being said, given the depth of next years draft (especially in the top half of the 1st round) that would be way too much to give up, imo. The drop off between Byfield and Lundell/Rossi/Foudy doesn't seem to be worth a 1st, three 2nds, a 3rd and a 4th.
He looks like he could be a number 1 center ,and be the perfect crown jewel for us....Imagine Tkachuk and him down low........So much size and skill...

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I would say...BPA but after last draft I’ll go with Best left shot winger with character and not Russian

Idk

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Byfield led his OHL team in scoring as a sixteen year old. We need to tank this season, the 2020 draft is Elite and will be in the same discussions as 2003 and 2015.

@Samsquanch Watched him a ton, maybe he could provide more insight.

Hes everything as advertised and more. Skates like the wind - like a truly beautiful stride for such a big body. So agile and yet hes strong like a bull on his skates. He has silky smooth hands and can dangle, and a he has a lethal shot. Offensive IQ and vision is right there with the rest of his tools.

He can play a heavy game or a skilled game, whatever the situation calls for. He was only 16 last season so I would imagine we will see much more of his physical side this year.

Above all else, hes a great person and teammate. Hard worker on and off the ice. Wants to be known as a relentless worker like Crosby is. Dare I say that hes the perfect prospect?

I'll be really effin sad if we dont end up with this kid. Feels like it was meant to be.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

I want to see us get another 1st that would be from a non-playoff team that does not require a Core piece or one of the 1sts we already have ... without losing Chabot, Brannstrom, Wolanin, Jaros, Thompson, Bernard-Docker, Batherson, White, Brown, Tkachuk, Formenton, Norris, Davidsson, and Balcers. So, keeping the young guns and recent picks to build around.

Would a Tierney, DeMelo and CBJ 2nd get it? A Duclair, Anderson? Right now. I'd do that. 3 1sts next year would be exciting.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I want to see us get another 1st that would be from a non-playoff team that does not require a Core piece or one of the 1sts we already have ... without losing Chabot, Brannstrom, Wolanin, Jaros, Thompson, Bernard-Docker, Batherson, White, Brown, Tkachuk, Formenton, Norris, Davidsson, and Balcers. So, keeping the young guns and recent picks to build around.

Would a Tierney, DeMelo and CBJ 2nd get it? A Duclair, Anderson? Right now. I'd do that. 3 1sts next year would be exciting.
I don't think a lot of quantity gets us a quality draft pick. Let's just pray the ship sinks in San Jose for some reason.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
A few prospects that were passed over in this draft and might be worth keeping an eye on are Luke Toporowski, Logan Barlage and Xavier Simoneau. If they improve this season they might be worthwhile overage options with some of our later round picks.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Byfield is the one I want ....6.4 214 pounds.....With skill and good attitude and work ethic.....The more I see him the more I think he has to be the one,he has all the tools and what looks like the desire to work to getting there

Agreed. Byfield looks like he will be a dominant player. This play alone shows how good he is.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I love Byfield. Id take him over Lafreniere. C > W (Although i do think Lafreniere could potentially play C), and I'm not sold that Lafreniere is an elite stud in the making

I think that it will be a Hall vs Seguin type scenario, and that you cant go wrong with either.

Having said that, Byfield and Lafreniere ars as good or even better prospects than those guys were, so this is hopefully going to be an exciting time for Sens fans.

Reactions: DJB

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
Hes everything as advertised and more. Skates like the wind - like a truly beautiful stride for such a big body. So agile and yet hes strong like a bull on his skates. He has silky smooth hands and can dangle, and a he has a lethal shot. Offensive IQ and vision is right there with the rest of his tools.

He can play a heavy game or a skilled game, whatever the situation calls for. He was only 16 last season so I would imagine we will see much more of his physical side this year.

Above all else, hes a great person and teammate. Hard worker on and off the ice. Wants to be known as a relentless worker like Crosby is. Dare I say that hes the perfect prospect?

I'll be really effin sad if we dont end up with this kid. Feels like it was meant to be.
If he has a mean streak he sounds like a (not too) poor man's Lindros from that description. Sign me up.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If he has a mean streak he sounds like a (not too) poor man's Lindros from that description. Sign me up.

If we're talking about using that level of guy as a comparable he actually reminds me a lot more of Mario than Lindros.

Big, rangy guy. Uses his size to keep people away, not so much to try and take their heads off. Deceptively good skater (long efficient strides as opposed to the choppy "try hard" style). Looks to pass before taking the shot (the numbers won't back this up, but he didn't have a ton of help in Sudbury hence the ~50/50 split in G's vs A's).

I'm obviously not comparing him to Mario, as that would be crazy, but stylistically that's who I'm reminded of. Maybe he'll start to impose a little bit more physically now that he's not a rookie anymore though.

Reactions: West Coast Eagles

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
If we're talking about using that level of guy as a comparable he actually reminds me a lot more of Mario than Lindros.

Big, rangy guy. Uses his size to keep people away, not so much to try and take their heads off. Deceptively good skater (long efficient strides as opposed to the choppy "try hard" style). Looks to pass before taking the shot (the numbers won't back this up, but he didn't have a ton of help in Sudbury hence the ~50/50 split in G's vs A's).

I'm obviously not comparing him to Mario, as that would be crazy, but stylistically that's who I'm reminded of. Maybe he'll start to impose a little bit more physically now that he's not a rookie anymore though.

Ok cool. I was using hyperbole based on the description. I don't think it is fair to compare to that level of player either. I'm sure he isnt going to close to 2.75ppg in his draft year like Lindros did or whatever it was.

I said (not too) poor man's version of lindros because I didn't want to be too hard on some person I've never seen.

Thanks for your info though! Appreciate it.

Edit: and prime lindros is my favourite player ever so I was hoping someone would say he could be a not too poor man's version of him!

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Ok cool. I was using hyperbole based on the description. I don't think it is fair to compare to that level of player either. I'm sure he isnt going to close to 2.75ppg in his draft year like Lindros did or whatever it was.

I said (not too) poor man's version of lindros because I didn't want to be too hard on some person I've never seen.

Thanks for your info though! Appreciate it.

Edit: and prime lindros is my favourite player ever so I was hoping someone would say he could be a not too poor man's version of him!

Yeah, wasn't harping on you for the comparison (I mean, I made a Mario comp, that would be throwing stones in a glass house :laugh: ). I can definitely see why people look at a 16 year old who is 6'4 ~215lbs and immediately jump to the Lindros comp. Lindros was just a different beast with his physicality and demeanor that it would be tough for anyone these days to play like that. Like I said, maybe we'll see him up his physical play now that he's not a rookie/more established in the league.

I just think them main difference is that (from my viewings) Byfield uses his size as a deterrent for others (holding on to the puck and letting guys bounce off him) similar to guys like Lemieux or Jagr as opposed to just flat out going out there to kill guys like prime Lindros did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad