NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Trent Mann in a recent interview reiterated how strong of a draft the 2020 class is and how the scouts are already preparing and planning to scout early. He even said he might have to force some scouts to take some time off instead of watching some of the summer tournaments. Basically the 2020 class is very strong and will play a pivotal role in the Ottawa Senators rebuild.

Going into that draft the Ottawa Senators currently have 11 picks.

Ottawa Senators 1st round pick
San Jose Sharks 1st round pick

Ottawa Senators 2nd round pick
Columbus Blue Jackets 2nd round pick
Dallas Stars 2nd round pick

Ottawa Senators 3rd round pick

Ottawa Senators 4th round pick

Tampa Bay Lightning 5th round pick

St Louis Blues 6th round pick
San Jose Sharks 6th round pick

Ottawa Senators 7th round pick

Ottawa Senators Future Draft Pick Status

This thread is to discuss the potential draft options and keep track of Ottawa Senators draft picks.

EDIT: Columbus 3rd round pick was traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs as part of the Zaitsev, Brown trade.

EDIT 2: Acquired Tampa Bay 5th round pick and gave up Ottawa Senators 6th round pick in the Callahan trade

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
And there could be more if we do a little salary dance.

PD has mentioned that if they take on some cap space players, it will be for guys that can play, and guys that can serve as examples for all of our kids.

If we want to discuss likely deals, we need to look around the league for players that fit that mold. I.e. not likely to take on a player to buy them out.

We also have a few more veteran players that we could trade for late picks, like Ceci perhaps.

Next year’s draft should be huge for us.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I imagine that we will add to the number of picks they have for next yr, if they move out the UFAs they have on the roster. Pageau, Boedker, DeMello, Boro, Anderson & Condon are all UFAs next yr & could potentially all be moved out by the trade deadline for picks/prospects. Ceci is another possibility as is Smith, Ryan & Harpur & some of the AHL players or older prospects who don't have a future in Ottawa.

IMO the Sens should do everything they can to acquire Byfield including moving up with as many of their other picks as possible to get into that 2nd overall spot, if Lafreniere stays in the 1st spot all yr. Brown & Byfield down the middle would really be something for this team & they have enough assets to add to both these guys to create some outstanding lines. My guess is that they would start Byfield on the wing for the first yr until he feels comfortable in the league before moving him to centre. IMO they have two forward positions that need better players than they have currently in their org & two D positions that could use an upgrade in size & talent. They could get another very good RWer in next yr's draft with their second 1st rd pick or with one of their three 2nd rd picks. Dylan Peterson C/RW is a big skilled centre who could be moved to RW & could be had in the second half of the 1st rd in the 2020 draft.

Byfield - Brown - Batherson
Tkachuk - White - ??? (Davidsson RW???)
Formenton - Norris - Pinto
Paul - Kastelic - ??? (Nurmi RW ???)

Chabot - Thomson
Brannstrom - JBD
Wolanin - Jaros/Harpur

Gustavsson - Sogaard/Mandolese

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I really love Byfield. Hes as close to a modern day Lindros as ive seen in terms of size, skating and talent.

He finishes his checks but i wouldn't consider him nasty or a fighter like Libdros was but maybe that changes this year being his draft eligible season.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
So should we be looking for players ranked 90 + and watch for those that rise into the 40-50 range as possible 1st round reach we are smarter than everyone picks.
Exactly. Maybe we can trade back from the top 3 and snag two of those guys from the 40-50 range!!

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Really? Right now, I think I'd rather have Raymond, Holtz or Byfield over Lafreniere. Will watch them closer next season but I see those guys being better players in the pros.

I guess we might be in the minority in terms of Lafreniere potentially not going #1

But you are alone in the sense that you have 3 guys over him.

That i dont agree with.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Lafreniere, Raymond, and Byfield could all be franchise players. Don't wanna half-ass this tank.
Do these guys show the right level of compete and have character? I fear that if we draw the number 1 pick, PD will go off the board for a “safe pick”. F that!! We have enough depth, it’s time for some guys that can light it up!

Reactions: L'Aveuglette
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->