NBA 2020 NBA Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Sources are saying the Thunder are now shopping both Ricky Rubio and Kelly Obure for more f***ing draft picks.

Presti can't be stopped. He's a mad man who hungers for picks.
I mean understandable. That team isn't winning anything any time soon. Build from the draft and hope one of your 17 first round selections in the next 5-6 years turns into a superstar and then trade the rest for another superstar and good role players.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Love Klay as a player.

I remember Kobe saying he would have loved to have played with Klay, probably because he doesn’t need the ball, plays amazing defense, and is a knockdown shooter.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yep. There it is. Woj tweeting that Klay has officially suffered a season ending achilles tear.

We won't be seeing him play basketball until 2022, and at that point it will have been almost 3 full years since playing an NBA game and he'll be 32 years old.

As sad as it might be, I think he's finished.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yep. There it is. Woj tweeting that Klay has officially suffered a season ending achilles tear.

We won't be seeing him play basketball until 2022, and at that point it will have been almost 3 full years since playing an NBA game and he'll be 32 years old.

I don’t know about finished. He will still be a great shooter. He might move to more of a Korver role but finished seems a little far.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don’t know about finished. He will still be a great shooter. He might move to more of a Korver role but finished seems a little far.
Keep in mind not just basketball players, but athletes in general tend not to come back very well after tearing their achilles.

He's not only got that to worry about, but he's coming off a torn ACL in his other leg. 3 full years off of basketball, two incredibly major tears and surgeries and turning 32 for a guy that relies on his knees/legs so much to get his shot off.

If he does come back, I think he'll be a very limited bench player the rest of his career.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

It's tough to say how he'll come back because we've never really seen anything like this before but none of the outcomes seem great. One positive in this situation could be that Klay has never been an explosive player who relies on his athleticism at the offensive end. He barely even dribbles in a lot of games and still scores a ton. His shot is so good and quick to get off that I could see him come back and still be an elite shooter.

However, his defense is what really makes him a special player and it's hard to imagine him being anywhere close to the level he was. That's where he actually needs some quickness and the lateral mobility to stay in front of guys. I think the days of him being a great two-way player capable of guarding multiple positions are gone. It might be tough for him to even be an average wing defender when he comes back.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's tough to say how he'll come back because we've never really seen anything like this before but none of the outcomes seem great. One positive in this situation could be that Klay has never been an explosive player who relies on his athleticism at the offensive end. He barely even dribbles in a lot of games and still scores a ton. His shot is so good and quick to get off that I could see him come back and still be an elite shooter.

However, his defense is what really makes him a special player and it's hard to imagine him being anywhere close to the level he was. That's where he actually needs some quickness and the lateral mobility to stay in front of guys. I think the days of him being a great two-way player capable of guarding multiple positions are gone. It might be tough for him to even be an average wing defender when he comes back.
So much of that shooting is that explosiveness through his shot, though, and he's not going to have that anymore.

I remember watching Kobe through his final years after all of his injuries and, while he was older than Klay, it was incredibly apparent that he just couldn't jump the same way anymore.

I'm not expecting Klay to return to basketball if I'm being honest. Not after 3 years off and two of the worst basketball injuries possible.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So much of that shooting is that explosiveness through his shot, though, and he's not going to have that anymore.

I remember watching Kobe through his final years after all of his injuries and, while he was older than Klay, it was incredibly apparent that he just couldn't jump the same way anymore.

I'm not expecting Klay to return to basketball if I'm being honest. Not after 3 years off and two of the worst basketball injuries possible.

tenor.gif

He's not one of these guys who relies heavily on his lower body for his shooting. He barely jumps and it comes more from his arms. Most of his shots are also created by others/screens so it's not like he needs to beat anyone off the dribble. The fact that he's 6'7" and can shoot over a lot of defenders helps him as well. Again, we have no idea how he'll look so it's tough to say but I think there's a path for him to still be a threat offensively.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I could be wrong

but I don’t think Hayward is making this decision from a financial perspective more personal and team fit.

I just can’t imagine his agent advising him on this.

$34 million in this climate.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I could be wrong

but I don’t think Hayward is making this decision from a financial perspective more personal and team fit.

I just can’t imagine his agent advising him on this.

$34 million in this climate.

I was surprised as well but I'd guess hes hoping a desperate team like the Knicks will give him similar money and more term. I also thought he'd perform much better under Stevens than he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad