OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not saying it's impossible but I get why Denver would continue to trade after they can't get '24 picks. I don't get why the 49ers would.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The more I look into it, the happier I'd be with basically swapping DJ for Sutton. Sutton's remaining contract is fairly tame, it would be about a burden of $10 million for this year and $14 million for next year. I imagine any sort of extension would be converting some of his salary into guaranteed money and adding another year or two at $15 million a year, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

Pickens, Sutton and Wilson as the main WR group looks super physical and talented to me, that's why I'm honestly really excited about the idea of adding him.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I still think it's very important to note that Fields is only a year older than Penix, who was just a top-10 pick and is going to sit behind Cousins for 2 years before he starts.

I think Fields is as talented as any QB in this draft. If they can give him a year to sit and really develop, he has the tools and smarts to be successful. The framework is here now. They should be able to run the ball at will. Throw Fields into that type of situation, I think it's a cheat code.

I didn't want Fields as a starter here because I think he needs to do some developing, but I do view him as our QB of the future.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Broncos guy saying it’s not Sutton. No one seems to actually know anything.

And we have a winner.

I often wonder how many sourced rumors to generate clicks are from legit inside information and how many are pulled from thin air. I suspect far more are from hot air.

It is obvious that the Steelers cleared space to add. It makes sense that one of those adds would be a WR2 opposite of Pickens. So, you could say anything at this point and sound legit.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Something is happening!

Discuss.

Wait. Wait. Uh oh.

360_F_301442391_r5NN2O6fFa4koeBRdwYSvCgeUe78987r.jpg
Untitled-32-1024x597.jpg

robopigeon

Dec 9, 2013
I think Fields is as talented as any QB in this draft. If they can give him a year to sit and really develop, he has the tools and smarts to be successful. The framework is here now. They should be able to run the ball at will. Throw Fields into that type of situation, I think it's a cheat code.

I didn't want Fields as a starter here because I think he needs to do some developing, but I do view him as our QB of the future.

Fields has no vision, can't read defenses, and can't process plays in real time at an NFL level. These were his knocks coming out of college and he's shown zero sustained improvement. He's almost Zach Wilson bad at these things, but his game breaking rushing talent affords him a much longer leash than most QB busts. Chicago had horrible offensive coaching, and maybe that would help him to some extent--not that Steelers are exactly known for offensive coaching themselves. But there's plenty of tape where Chicago runs a great play, overloading the defense with a well run route tree, and Fields stares at his receivers running open and just... tucks the ball and runs for his life, instead.

And it's not like a KP situation, where the o-line is awful and he has no choice. Fields has had a top 5 time to throw in each season he's been in the NFL.

For what the Steelers got him for, he's a no-risk lottery ticket. Maybe it helps him to sit behind Wilson to learn for a year or two. And maybe the new offensive staff will really help him with processing, some how. But what he's struggled with generally isn't teachable, like throwing mechanics. And so I wouldn't count on him for any long term plans as a starter.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Fields has no vision, can't read defenses, and can't process plays in real time at an NFL level. These were his knocks coming out of college and he's shown zero sustained improvement. He's almost Zach Wilson bad at these things, but his game breaking rushing talent affords him a much longer leash than most QB busts. Chicago had horrible offensive coaching, and maybe that would help him to some extent--not that Steelers are exactly known for offensive coaching themselves. But there's plenty of tape where Chicago runs a great play, overloading the defense with a well run route tree, and Fields stares at his receivers running open and just... tucks the ball and runs for his life, instead.

And it's not like a KP situation, where the o-line is awful and he has no choice. Fields has had a top 5 time to throw in each season he's been in the NFL.

For what the Steelers got him for, he's a no-risk lottery ticket. Maybe it helps him to sit behind Wilson to learn for a year or two. And maybe the new offensive staff will really help him with processing, some how. But what he's struggled with generally isn't teachable, like throwing mechanics. And so I wouldn't count on him for any long term plans as a starter.

I tried to explain why MT would be a dumpster fire in Pgh and many posters just gave the same arguments they are giving now…

Chi this and Chi that… MT has pedigree, is still young and could blossom in Pgh.

I tried to warn about his ill timed turnovers.

Chi this and Chi that… MT has pedigree, is still young and could blossom in Pgh.

If the Bears, who haven’t had a franchise QB in my lifetime, have given up on a QB, you don’t get a much bigger red flag than that.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I tried to explain why MT would be a dumpster fire in Pgh and many posters just gave the same arguments they are giving now…

I tried to warn about his ill timed turnovers.

If the Bears, who haven’t had a franchise QB in my lifetime, have given up on a QB, you don’t get a much bigger red flag than that.
No one is arguing that Fields isn't a lottery ticket. He didn't generate a huge trade price for a reason. The sixth round pick was not quite indicative, as the Bears asked too much, waited too long, and got what they could. But he still wasn't that valuable to teams.

That said, to say that the Bears gave up on him is not entirely accurate. Or, at least the question is more nuanced.

The Bears sucked enough to have a shot at the top pick. If that weren't the case then they wouldn't have moved on from Fields and given him another year. I doubt that they would have picked up his fifth year option, but likely would do what the Steelers might. Let it expire and hope to sign him cheaper.

That they had a chance at a top quarterback forced their hand and made moving on easy.

Reactions: Son Goku

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
No one is arguing that Fields isn't a lottery ticket. He didn't generate a huge trade price for a reason. The sixth round pick was not quite indicative, as the Bears asked too much, waited too long, and got what they could. But he still wasn't that valuable to teams.

That said, to say that the Bears gave up on him is not entirely accurate. Or, at least the question is more nuanced.

The Bears sucked enough to have a shot at the top pick. If that weren't the case then they wouldn't have moved on from Fields and given him another year. I doubt that they would have picked up his fifth year option, but likely would do what the Steelers might. Let it expire and hope to sign him cheaper.

That they had a chance at a top quarterback forced their hand and made moving on easy.

The Bears were able to draft Williams because of Fields poor play.

Many Steeler fans are setting themselves up to get angry and spew hate on Fields, just like with MT, who came asset free.

It’s pretty easy to tell which Steeler fans have watched Fields extensively and which ones haven’t.

He will run around and generate excitement, but will eventually do Justin Fields things, and that will catch up to them in the playoffs when your QB has to win games.

He’s a stop gap guy because the MR and KP picks were botched, and fans really need to be realistic about it.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Given the Steelers' situation at QB following last season, it makes sense that they'd take a shot on a probably washed-up former SB-winning player. No one was going to miss Mason or Mitch, and they were probably going to run it back with KP backing up Wilson. KP asked out, they went and got Fields. Fields is KP. They are obviously not identical from a tools-and-skill-set perspective, but I see both as being on the same career trajectory. And Steelers came out of those two trades with better draft assets (just used one of the Pickett picks to take the LB Wilson).

Tomlin's non-losing season thingy aside, the organization just isn't built for tanking. Most NFL franchises aren't/don't. They just end up sucking. Wilson and Fields are a bottom-third QB pair most likely, but better than Mason/Mitch/KP. And it's what was available to do with the least amount of disruption to the rest of the roster.

I wouldn't call myself excited for the coming season with Wilson and Fields, but I'm certainly not surprised nor am I disappointed.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Given the Steelers' situation at QB following last season, it makes sense that they'd take a shot on a probably washed-up former SB-winning player. No one was going to miss Mason or Mitch, and they were probably going to run it back with KP backing up Wilson. KP asked out, they went and got Fields. Fields is KP. They are obviously not identical from a tools-and-skill-set perspective, but I see both as being on the same career trajectory. And Steelers came out of those two trades with better draft assets (just used one of the Pickett picks to take the LB Wilson).

Tomlin's non-losing season thingy aside, the organization just isn't built for tanking. Most NFL franchises aren't/don't. They just end up sucking. Wilson and Fields are a bottom-third QB pair most likely, but better than Mason/Mitch/KP. And it's what was available to do with the least amount of disruption to the rest of the roster.

I wouldn't call myself excited for the coming season with Wilson and Fields, but I'm certainly not surprised nor am I disappointed.

I have a little hope for Wilson, as in he can finally win them a playoff game hope.

I really liked his game a few years ago, but I haven’t watched his Denver years.

So based on what Broncos fans are saying, my hope is probably misguided, but this will be a smash mouth team that just needs Wilson to make some plays, not be a star.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I have a little hope for Wilson, as in he can finally win them a playoff game hope.

I really liked his game a few years ago, but I haven’t watched his Denver years.

So based on what Broncos fans are saying, my hope is probably misguided, but this will be a smash mouth team that just needs Wilson to make some plays, not be a star.
Hopefully the suckitude from the QBs can be insulated enough from 1- improved O-line play, 2- increased and better performance from the TE position with Smith calling the shots and 3- an improved WR corp. if Khan can add another quality piece to go with Wilson and Pickens.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA

Many Steeler fans are setting themselves up to get angry and spew hate on Fields, just like with MT, who came asset free.

It’s pretty easy to tell which Steeler fans have watched Fields extensively and which ones haven’t.

He will run around and generate excitement, but will eventually do Justin Fields things, and that will catch up to them in the playoffs when your QB has to win games.

He’s a stop gap guy because the MR and KP picks were botched, and fans really need to be realistic about it.
No, they drafted Williams because of Carolina’s poor play. It wasn’t their pick.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
As bad as are QB play has been around here minus Rudolph's late season stint, I find it hard to believe RW and or JF won't be a sizable upgrade. The bar isn't exactly all that high for them. They don't have to be world beaters, they just can't suck. Definitely see the changes to the QB core as a net positive, to what degree time will tell.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'll just remind people - as it looks like some might have forgotten - that the Bears picking 1OA wasn't a direct consequence of Fields' play last season. Their pick was 9OA. The 1OA was the Panthers pick they got from trading down last year.

However, the very existence of that pick does

a) Tell you why GMs are unlikely to regard even a 1OA QB as a sure thing
b) Tell you that the Bears were willing to trade down from there if it made more sense for the franchise.

2023, they thought it did. 2024, they thought it didn't.

Part of that is probably a higher confidence level in Williams than in Bryce Young. But the extent to which Fields didn't progress last year is probably part of it too. Also probably why pretty much the whole NFL said no to bringing him in as a starter.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

My heart bleeds purple piss for them. They drafted two stud corners.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

He just turned 25 in March - 3 months older than Kenny. You were on the Kenny train, but not the Fields train, despite Fields having much more natural talent.

I am of the belief that players can develop. Somehow that school of thought has completely gone out the window in today's NFL. Sometimes situations drastically change outcomes for players, which we have seen in spades with ex-Steelers.

Fields coming out of college needed time. It's not his fault that Chicago couldn't afford to let him have that. In college he threw a really catchable ball, and actually worked short-intermediate throws really nicely, which I think should translate here.

Downside is that he plays Heroball, and it gets him into trouble. His accuracy takes a dip when he starts running around. I think him sitting will be HUGE for his development. He needed it in Chicago and every single person that watched him at OSU knew that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad