NBA 2020 NBA Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Lol. So then explain how the **** he won an NBA Championship with the Toronto Raptors?

Seemed to build team chemistry just fine over there.

I really don’t think the Raptors, or the Spurs for that matter, were answering his every needs. The Clippers wanted to get away from the shadow the Lakers and they basically gave him and PG carte blanche to do whatever they wanted, pissing off the rest of the team.

If you’re a real leader, you don’t do those types of things and the main reason he didn’t do that in San Antonio is because they had veterans and a coach who would’ve put him back in his place. As for the Raptors, he probably didn’t act like a dick, knowing he was months away from hitting the jackpot and Masai Ujiri wouldn’t of let it happen as well.

A lot of it is on Leonard + PG and some of it is on the Clippers.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I agree it would be a dumb thing but they could have stayed quiet and not said anything. They were not required to say it isn’t true. Again you’d think the players would know better than some reporter.

Again this isn't the first time its been reported either. Its like the 4th or 5th time in the last 12 months.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
..... obviously. Like I don't know why you think thats some amazing thing they did. No playere is going to say "yea its all true, we hate it here"
But they can stay quiet and not say anything. It’s not like they denied it in a press conference. They went out on social media and made posts about it not being true. They went out of their way to deny it.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
But they can stay quiet and not say anything. It’s not like they denied it in a press conference. They went out on social media and made posts about it not being true. They went out of their way to deny it.
i mean, isn't that a pretty common thing to do? true or false, i'd imagine the last thing you want as a player is to have all those rumors constantly swirling around the team. especially when that team is a title contender

i remember that dreaded 12-13 lakers season when there was constant talk about how kobe wasn't getting along with d'antoni and howard (which was all 100% true) and even they took to social media to joke about it and make it seem like all was well

Reactions: Voight

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone

Good way to cover your ass if you were the one speaking off the record. Last thing you want to do is get into a public beef with the team's two high-priced stars. "Hey KL look it wasn't me!"

Another simple explanation is that some players have a problem with it, and ones who went on record publicly didn't.

There's a reason why you don't see a lot of role players who are extremely outspoken ... it doesn't typically play well come contract time, even when you're in the right. Teams don't want role players who stir things up. Doesn't mean that behind the scenes everything is kosher.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Well, there really isn't opportunity for press conferences with it being the off season.... social media is the only way to get our their message really. Thats also the place where they would get the most exposure via retweets, repostings etc.

& they didn't stay silent because some people would take that as them actually having a problem with Kawhi/PG. I.E. there are people in this world who consider you complicit, guilty or in agreeance. with something if you stay silent. Just how thing are.

Again, I'd be more inclined to believe the players if this was a one-off. However its not; this whole Preferntial Treatment-gate thing has been in the news multiple times in the last year and honestly its believable. Ballmer destroyed his teams future to land the two players, so I wouldn't be shocked if he told them they can do whatever they want, agreed to pay for their trainers/security and anything else to keep them happy. Especially because hes only guaranteed 2 years with them.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The only reason I think it's BS is because ballmer would've paid that guy his money in a heartbeat. That's pocket change for him

Literally made that much and then some as you typed that :laugh:

But it could also be one of those rich guy attitudes. "Nobody will believe this guy; I can make this go away easily"

The part about his uncle was a given, I remember from the trade speculation 2 years ago he was seen as a huge factor in whatever Kawhi does.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Another one done. Next year's free agent class has gone from potentially great to not so great. A lot of teams are going to have cap space too so we might be heading for mediocre players getting PAID.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Another one done. Next year's free agent class has gone from potentially great to not so great. A lot of teams are going to have cap space too so we might be heading for mediocre players getting PAID.

Its going to be like 2016 when the cap spiked except this time it'll be due to desperation.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Its going to be like 2016 when the cap spiked except this time it'll be due to desperation.

Hopefully teams have learned their lesson from that offseason. I think we already know they haven't but you can always hope.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I for one want to see more over-payments, it gives me hope that some team will give me a 4yr/$64 million to chuck up 3's all night.

You'll love The Big Apple baby !!!!!!!!!!!

p1585467909_64917.jpg_b.jpg

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Ouch.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Good for him, man. Kid battled to save his career and he honestly doesn't look half bad with Orlando. Hard work/self improvement does get rewarded.

There's still some kinks in his game but given he's only 22 this honestly isn't a bad contract. At absolute worst if he plateaus it's a slight overpayment at worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->