NBA 2020 NBA Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
First real big news of the offseason:

There was speculation all season he could be let go at the end of the season because of the China situation but now he's apparently leaving on his own.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The Rockets are a mess, their owner is going bankrupt and Morey probably didn’t want to deal with it anymore

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Pissed off the Chinese oligarchy.

His work was decent, but I don't think he has a great read on locker-room dynamics and took small ball/spamming threes too far. Kinda reminds me of Dubas.

Reactions: John Price

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Curry Warriors will never make WCFs again.

J Van Gundy to the Rockets?
If healthy?

Curry, Klay, and Draymond in his actual role as a #3 facilitator/defender rather than primary option are very, very dangerous. Add to that a top-3 pick to dangle for more talent (and Andrew Wiggins, for whatever dumb **** GM still believes in him) and the Warriors have the ability to get right back to the WCF.

For me, next season the West is up for grabs between the Lakers, Clippers, and Warriors.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Re: Morey, he believed too much in James Harden and small ball, and ultimately he didn't accomplish his goal.

Has he changed the NBA? I don't know. There's clearly an emphasis on small ball now but the Rockets showed it can't work when up against a team with size AND skill.

The Rockets are a mess, though.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Re: Morey, he believed too much in James Harden and small ball, and ultimately he didn't accomplish his goal.

Has he changed the NBA? I don't know. There's clearly an emphasis on small ball now but the Rockets showed it can't work when up against a team with size AND skill.

the league had been trending towards going small since at least the early 2010s. this rockets team just took it to another level, but even with all the right pieces to make it work, we saw that size and strength still matter. i don't envision other teams rushing to copy what the rockets did

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

He didn't accomplish the ultimate goal of winning a championship and didn't even make it to the finals so in that sense he couldn't get it done but overall I think his tenure was still a success. I believe the Rockets have the second highest regular season winning % behind only the Spurs since he took over so he was doing something right. They also made a couple of WCF but ran into the Warriors both times.

It also wasn't just the small ball and shooting threes. He helped change the NBA by putting a big emphasis on analytics and making the use of more data widespread across the NBA. He's the one who created the annual analytics conference that important people from every sports league attends. Teams obviously use the data on offense and shoot more threes now but analytics are also used for defense, all of the individual/team tracking, the draft, etc. Morey shouldn't get all of the credit for it but he has played a significant role.

On the last point, I agree. The Rockets are likely going to be a mess going forward. Morey made his share of mistakes and the Gordon extension they're stuck with is definitely one of them. Going completely without a center is probably another one because I don't think that can work full-time. However, I think the two biggest issues they have is their owner and the Westbrook trade and you can't blame him for either one of those. Multiple reliable reporters have said it was Harden who said he wants Chris Paul gone and wants to play with Westbrook. Then the combination of Harden and Fertitta made Morey make that awful trade. There's no way someone who obsesses over analytics like Morey, at times to his detriment, would trade for an inefficient non-shooter like Westbrook by choice.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
He didn't accomplish the ultimate goal of winning a championship and didn't even make it to the finals so in that sense he couldn't get it done but overall I think his tenure was still a success. I believe the Rockets have the second highest regular season winning % behind only the Spurs since he took over so he was doing something right. They also made a couple of WCF but ran into the Warriors both times.

It also wasn't just the small ball and shooting threes. He helped change the NBA by putting a big emphasis on analytics and making the use of more data widespread across the NBA. He's the one who created the annual analytics conference that important people from every sports league attends. Teams obviously use the data on offense and shoot more threes now but analytics are also used for defense, all of the individual/team tracking, the draft, etc. Morey shouldn't get all of the credit for it but he has played a significant role.

On the last point, I agree. The Rockets are likely going to be a mess going forward. Morey made his share of mistakes and the Gordon extension they're stuck with is definitely one of them. Going completely without a center is probably another one because I don't think that can work full-time. However, I think the two biggest issues they have is their owner and the Westbrook trade and you can't blame him for either one of those. Multiple reliable reporters have said it was Harden who said he wants Chris Paul gone and wants to play with Westbrook. Then the combination of Harden and Fertitta made Morey make that awful trade. There's no way someone who obsesses over analytics like Morey, at times to his detriment, would trade for an inefficient non-shooter like Westbrook by choice.
That is the problem when you build your team around a ball hog like Harden.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh from the get to I never thought Morey was behind the Chris Paul for Russell Westbrook trade. That had James Harden written all over it.

Moving the only functioning big on his roster (Capela) was a strange move even if Capela had regressed a bit. Then the Gordon contract was just lunacy.

He's left the Rockets in a very difficult position moving forward though. Then again, I've always maintained that James Harden will never win an NBA championship based on the style of player he is, so maybe Morey getting out now is a great thing for his own career.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
First real big news of the offseason:

There was speculation all season he could be let go at the end of the season because of the China situation but now he's apparently leaving on his own.

It is disgusting that the league and its players can ram BLM and all of that political talk down everyone's throat, but a GM tweeting about China gets him cancelled and gets everyone in an uproar.

Double standard.

Sep 19, 2008
It is disgusting that the league and its players can ram BLM and all of that political talk down everyone's throat, but a GM tweeting about China gets him cancelled and gets everyone in an uproar.

Double standard.
China controls the money

They don't have the cojones to go after the hand that feeds

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Start date would be Dec. 22nd and it'll be a 72 game season with a play-in tournament at the end. There's no finalized deal or even a proposal yet but Windhorst says he's hearing the NBPA will be on board and it's likely to happen.

Excellent news for basketball fans. Originally they were saying the season probably wouldn't start until mid-January or maybe even as late as March and now it could be in two months. I also love the shorter season and play-in tournament part of this. Hopefully both of those things will be here to stay going forward. One downside is the lack of rest for the players who just played in the finals and conference finals. There will probably be more back to backs as well so we might see a lot more load management.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Double standard.
All about the $$$, baby. Ask all of these players if they'll ever take a stand for the people suffering right now in China, and they won't do a damn thing.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It is disgusting.
It is, hence why this whole "movement" falls on deaf ears for me personally.

Is it a big issue? Absolutely. But these people act like the United States is the only country in the world with problems, when in actuality the people suffering in China and, specifically in Xianxiang, would trade their lives for the lives of people of colour living in the United States in a nanosecond.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
It is, hence why this whole "movement" falls on deaf ears for me personally.

Is it a big issue? Absolutely. But these people act like the United States is the only country in the world with problems, when in actuality the people suffering in China and, specifically in Xianxiang, would trade their lives for the lives of people of colour living in the United States in a nanosecond.
So LeBron and most NBA players, who are BLACK MEN, should not care about an issue that AFFECTS THEIR FAMILY more than China?

What kind of world do you people live in????

and, specifically in Xianxiang, would trade their lives for the lives of people of colour living in the United States in a nanosecond.
This is...just incredibly arrogant assumption. Do you know how the poor black people in this country live?

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
So LeBron and most NBA players, who are BLACK MEN, should not care about an issue that AFFECTS THEIR FAMILY more than China?

What kind of world do you people live in????

This is...just incredibly arrogant assumption. Do you know how the poor black people in this country live?
It's not an assumption at all. Unless you think being forced into interment camps, being forced to abort your children, being genitally mutilated, forced to eat forbidden foods, and working slave-labour style hours with no pay is something that's comparable to the people of colour living in the West.

Do some research first.

And nobody said they should care about it MORE than things that affect their families. But the eery silence from literally EVERY NBA player and executive aside from Morey on the issues with China speaks volumes, ESPECIALLY when it was brought to LeBron's attention and he refused to talk about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad