OT: 2020 Football Thread: Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I was talking about this more broadly, rather than just this issue.

And I don't know if changing the team name falls under cancel culture but I'm 100% against cancel culture. I don't have to agree with the point of view that gets people fired for me to be against the firing. The fact that some people seem to think that being against firing people for controversial opinions means you endorse those opinions shows that some people lack critical thinking skills. The fact that SOME people ARE actually bigots that don't approve of cancel culture doesn't discredit that opinion. It's like saying the Bolsheviks were against income inequality, so I'm going to assume anyone that's against income inequality is a card-carrying communist. It's patently absurd.
I agree that being against cancel culture doesn’t inherently mean you’re siding with the person who is being “cancelled”. I’m not trying to say that every person against cancel culture is an uneducated right wing idiot who doesn’t actually know what the phrase means. I AM saying that most of the people I’ve personally encountered who are against it are, lol, so, right or wrong, I have a certain level of skepticism when I see people complaining about “cancel culture”.

but ya this is my final say on the topic because like I said I wanna stay in this thread lol

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I agree that being against cancel culture doesn’t inherently mean you’re siding with the person who is being “cancelled”. I’m not trying to say that every person against cancel culture is an uneducated right wing idiot who doesn’t actually know what the phrase means. I AM saying that most of the people I’ve personally encountered who are against it are, lol, so, right or wrong, I have a certain level of skepticism when I see people complaining about “cancel culture”.

but ya this is my final say on the topic because like I said I wanna stay in this thread lol

My final say on this subject is that it's a sign of the polarity of our politics rather than anything else.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Back to football, I swear I see more Patriots fans talking about the Chiefs cap than actual Chiefs fans. Their fear is palpable.

that fear is pointless..the patriots era is over. it ended when brady left. they could still win the division cause the rest of the AFC east stinks but its done. it was a good 20 year run

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
that fear is pointless..the patriots era is over. it ended when brady left. they could still win the division cause the rest of the AFC east stinks but its done. it was a good 20 year run
AFC east actually has potential to be very interesting this year. I think any of the teams COULD win the division, and tbh I’m very interested in seeing how the Fins perform. I think they’re going to be good sooner than most expect. also interested in seeing if the Bills were a fluke. Imo, it’s a pretty decent possibility. They have all the makings of a fluke team: top-5 defense, bad offense, questionable QB. Most teams with a defense like that tend to regress the next year, unless you’re an organization like the Ravens or Patriots, and the Bills ain’t that at this point. Though I am a big fan of McDermott.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I think the AFC East beats each other up and you see a 9-7 division winner.

Unless the Patriots just go full F you mode and pull out 12 wins. Wouldn't shock me.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
AFC east actually has potential to be very interesting this year. I think any of the teams COULD win the division, and tbh I’m very interested in seeing how the Fins perform. I think they’re going to be good sooner than most expect. also interested in seeing if the Bills were a fluke. Imo, it’s a pretty decent possibility. They have all the makings of a fluke team: top-5 defense, bad offense, questionable QB. Most teams with a defense like that tend to regress the next year, unless you’re an organization like the Ravens or Patriots, and the Bills ain’t that at this point. Though I am a big fan of McDermott.

the bills and jets (lol) appear to be trending in the right direction but I think if they finish ahead of the pats this year it will be more the pats coming down to their level then those teams being 'ready'. they have given hope to their fans with young QBs but I don't know that either is there yet.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
Jets trade an early 1st rounder who is a proven top player at his position for 2 lottery tickets in the late 1st round and some spare change.

Reminds me of the Porzingis trade. Adams was the best early pick in a long time for the Jets as the unicorn was for the Knicks.

I don’t trust either the Jets or the Knicks to find good value later in the first round.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Might as well look to move McDougal. 29 and a free agent at the end of the season. Some veteran help for the secondary, but he's not here for the long term.

Davis is going to get time at safety eventually. Maybe they re-sign Maye at this point.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Jets trade an early 1st rounder who is a proven top player at his position for 2 lottery tickets in the late 1st round and some spare change.

Reminds me of the Porzingis trade. Adams was the best early pick in a long time for the Jets as the unicorn was for the Knicks.

I don’t trust either the Jets or the Knicks to find good value later in the first round.

You can't compare the depth of the NBA draft and NFL draft. It's night and day.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Jamal Adams torched his way out of town. I’m usually pro player and I can put up with a lot, but he really pressed it.

He forced his way out and they still got a premium price. That’s a great deal.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Jamal Adams torched his way out of town. I’m usually pro player and I can put up with a lot, but he really pressed it.

He forced his way out and they still got a premium price. That’s a great deal.
I knew he was done as soon as he took himself off the Beningo and Roberts show. Every week you could tell he despised the pathetic losing culture and general incompetence of the organization and he eventually realized he needed to gtf away from talking about it publicly bc it was driving him closer to quitting on the team. Maccagnan was a rude, disrespectful asshole who, by all accounts, treated everyone around him like a sub human. Gase can't coach X's, doesn't know what O's are and has no ability to handle personnel unless it's a super talented guy who's blindly loyal. Adams isn't dumb, he knows what an asshole he was dealing with before and what an asshole he's dealing with now. He was being driven up the wall with this loser team. So to get out, Jamal threw his insane bitch fit over "picking up a phone-gate" and then pitched an equally insane bitchfit bc the jets wouldn't pay him an insane amount of money when there were still two years left on the deal. Finally, he smiled and hit the nuke button. He made valid criticisms about Gase.

He's at a low impact position and despite being the best there is at his position his teams still lost, his defenses still let teams drive down the field in critical situations. He wasn't bringing us wins. I love what Douglas did. He's clearly preparing for the long haul, to build an actual team instead of desperately assembling pieces to make up for some of the worst drafting in the history of sports.

But if gase doesn't unf*** himself real quick then it won't matter. And if f***ing morons like Woody Johnson are around the team or if they keep pulling an Osemele then the team will be in the same hole every single year for the next 5 years.

The Seahawks had very significant holes last season that Wilson covered up, barely, on offense. They're in a brutal division. There is actually a legitimate chance of the Jets getting a top 10 pick out of this.

Last edited:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
the bills and jets (lol) appear to be trending in the right direction but I think if they finish ahead of the pats this year it will be more the pats coming down to their level then those teams being 'ready'. they have given hope to their fans with young QBs but I don't know that either is there yet.
Bills should win the division. Their defense is incredible and adding Diggs gives them one of the best groups of receivers in the league. If they dont, thats on Allen and hes not good enough.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Bills should win the division. Their defense is incredible and adding Diggs gives them one of the best groups of receivers in the league. If they dont, thats on Allen and hes not good enough.
Their d might be above average or elite but I'm not sure which yet. Is that a D that can carry them for sure? I suspect their reputation is a bit inflated bc, with the exception of Baltimore, they fed almost exclusively on absolutely pathetic or struggling offense, especially down the stretch. Plus Diggs was with a better offense last year and didn't exactly carry the Vikings to any kind of significant glory. 10-6 including crucial, awful losses late in the season. Allen isn't better than Cousins yet so I just can't automatically assume Diggs will do for the Bills what he didn't do for the Vikings last year.

There are significant cases to be made for the Dolphins Pats and Bills. The Bills are such a f***up organization that I'd go with the other two, especially the Pats

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad