OT: 2020 Football Thread: Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Excellent haul by the Jets. Too get TWO 1st rounders plus upgrade from a 4th round pick to a 3rd and get a decent safety for his year in McDougald, for a disgruntled albeit very talented player who was going to F up the locker room with all his crybaby crap.

Douglass might be the best GM the Jets have ever had and he hasn't even been here a year...seriously. I'm sorry for any of my Jet brothers in here who are panning the deal but one thing y0u need to keep in mind...we have a GM who knows what the F he is doing unlike all those clowns we have had in the past. So those draft picks are very likely going to be used very wisely. I have complete faith in Douglass...sorry but I just do!!

I felt same way about Gorton when he came on board and he hasn't failed us, I'll say it again about Douglass....In Joe We Trust!!...:nod:

Reactions: nyrage

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
There is a post where I said I would keep Jamal because I didn't think they could bring back whats the Jags got for Ramsey.

Jags got 2020 first, 2021 first and a 2021 fourth.

Raiders got back for Mack a 2019 first, 2020 first, 2019 sixth and a 2020 third, but gave up a 2020 second and a 2020 7th to Chicago with Mack.

The Jets got 2 first round picks, and flipped a 4th for a 3rd for Jamal, as well as bringing in a competent safety in McDougald.

Jamal is 100% an all-pro safety, but lets be real, the Jets aren't close to contending.

Also, the Jets never have draft capital, just because they have extra first rounders right now doesn't mean they can't use an extra pick on an established vet, trades in the NFL happen now, look at the Hopkins and Diggs trade.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
So you didn't like the draft this year? Personally I thought Douglas killed it.

Agreed. So far since JD has taken over, I've pretty much agreed with everything he's done. He's seen the weaknesses of the team and has shown a willingness to address them. I like pretty much most of the FA's he's brought in and on paper his first draft looks good.

We'll see but as I said just like with Gorton did with the Rangers when he came on board and addressed the teams weaknesses and acquired draft capital, Douglass is doing the same thing which for a team like the Jets which is still a few years away from serious contention, is the right approach too take!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordon Bombay

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Excellent haul by the Jets. Too get TWO 1st rounders plus upgrade from a 4th round pick to a 3rd and get a decent safety for his year in McDougald, for a disgruntled albeit very talented player who was going to F up the locker room with all his crybaby crap.

Douglass might be the best GM the Jets have ever had and he hasn't even been here a year...seriously. I'm sorry for any of my Jet brothers in here who are panning the deal but one thing y0u need to keep in mind...we have a GM who knows what the F he is doing unlike all those clowns we have had in the past. So those draft picks are very likely going to be used very wisely. I have complete faith in Douglass...sorry but I just do!!

I felt same way about Gorton when he came on board and he hasn't failed us, I'll say it again about Douglass....In Joe We Trust!!...:nod:

Personally I'm ecstatic about the trade. I've always thought that he was good, but overrated and I hated the guy. We got a great return. I love JD so far.

Reactions: Maximus

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Good package for Adams but frustrating that the Jets continue to be unable to hold on to elite talent.

trueblue30nyr

Jan 31, 2011
Manhattan
Good package for Adams but frustrating that the Jets continue to be unable to hold on to elite talent.

Would you want to stick around with Gase coaching you into another losing season? Or, you know, coaching you at all?

There's being professional and then there’s reading the writing on the wall about how you’ll be spending your peak years.

They’ll start retaining talent when they hire a coach worth his salt. Bringing in a coach with a losing record just fired by a rival team is not the way to do it.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Would you want to stick around with Gase coaching you into another losing season? Or, you know, coaching you at all?

There's being professional and then there’s reading the writing on the wall about how you’ll be spending your peak years.

They’ll start retaining talent when they hire a coach worth his salt. Bringing in a coach with a losing record just fired by a rival team is not the way to do it.
Jets were 7-5 last season with Darnold when he didn't have mono. If you're going to judge a coach based on a poop roster and a 3rd string QB you wont find many that meet your standards.

Reactions: nyr2k2

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Adams put the Jets in a rough spot,Douglas was able to clean up the mess and get a huge return in the process.You get the potential locker room cancer off the team and get really good picks in the process.Huge win for the Jets

trueblue30nyr

Jan 31, 2011
Manhattan
Jets were 7-5 last season with Darnold when he didn't have mono. If you're going to judge a coach based on a poop roster and a 3rd string QB you wont find many that meet your standards.

Can you seriously tell me that you saw anything that gave you the impression or convinced you that Gase is the coach of the future? He can't make in-game adjustments, he can't make second half adjustments and he inexplicably wasted the talents of Le'Veon Bell. His system didn't work in Miami and it's not working here. He's just not a good coach.

My opinion on Gase has nothing to do with Jamal Adams other than understanding why he wanted to get away, among his other obvious reasons like money.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Can you seriously tell me that you saw anything that gave you the impression or convinced you that Gase is the coach of the future? He can't make in-game adjustments, he can't make second half adjustments and he inexplicably wasted the talents of Le'Veon Bell. His system didn't work in Miami and it's not working here. He's just not a good coach.

My opinion on Gase has nothing to do with Jamal Adams other than understanding why he wanted to get away, among his other obvious reasons like money.

This team is in a full on rebuild now. They're not gonna say it bc NFL teams generally don't, but Gase's job is more about developing players, namely Darnold, than winning if you look at the moves.

Build the line, decide if Darnold is your franchise guy, accumulate cheap drafted talent. In a couple years, you decide on Gase and hire the coach you're ready to win with if he's not it.

I don't particularly like Gase but conflating all of the issues here and blaming it all on him is silly. Adams is a dickhead. This roster was barren and bottom 3 in the league when Gase took over. This franchise is historically dysfunctional. You can't blame all of that on Gase.

Reactions: sbjnyc and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah, Gase may not be the long-term guy, but if you expected him to come in and build a winner given the roster he had--the QB with mono, the other backup going down immediately, the injured LBs, the terrible WRs and horrid offensive line--then your expectations were far too high and that's on you. I don't think Belicheck would have done much better given the talent he had (maybe he would have brought in better talent, but that's not really on Gase as he doesn't have the control that Belicheck does). Thank god for dickbag Gregg Williams coaxing a good performance out of an injured and over-mathced defense.

I'm not a big Gase fan but I don't put last season on him.

Reactions: sbjnyc

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

He had a winning record with a healthy QB despite a lousy roster and a horrific OL. Don't believe everything (anything?) Manish writes. They are not a good team with or without Gase.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

I'm far from a Gase fan trust me but this deal was more about the fact Douglass got an "offer he couldn't refuse" than anything else. As I said previously, It's absolutely ridiculous the haul he got. Think about it, Douglass got more from the Seahawks than the Raiders got for Kalil Mack and what the Jaguars got for Jalen Ramsey both of whom play much more premium type positions.

So this is much more that Douglass couldn't turn this offer from the Seahawks down than the fact that Adams couldn't take Gase as the head coach. If anything Adams likely dealt with Gase 5% of the time whereas he dealt with Williams the other 95%. This is all about the haul and my lord looking at it two days later, I'm even more astonished Douglass was able to pull this off.

This is a very very good day in Jetland and those of y'all who don't like the deal are not looking at the forest thru the trees here.

trueblue30nyr

Jan 31, 2011
Manhattan
I'm not saying that Adams wasn't an asshole and that Douglas shouldn't have taken the deal he got. I absolutely agree on both counts and don't have a problem with the trade itself.

I just find myself agreeing with what Adams said about Gase because it's how I feel about him as well (naturally, I'm not privy to what goes on in the locker room, so who knows what the real deal is). Maybe I'm just biased, but I really disliked the pick for coach. Especially because I knew they had a shit roster and for that you need a good coach. Almost all the good came because of Williams' coaching and a healthy Darnold. The rest was a disaster. The guy can't game plan.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I'm not saying that Adams wasn't an asshole and that Douglas shouldn't have taken the deal he got. I absolutely agree on both counts and don't have a problem with the trade itself.

I just find myself agreeing with what Adams said about Gase because it's how I feel about him as well (naturally, I'm not privy to what goes on in the locker room, so who knows what the real deal is). Maybe I'm just biased, but I really disliked the pick for coach. Especially because I knew they had a shit roster and for that you need a good coach. Almost all the good came because of Williams' coaching and a healthy Darnold. The rest was a disaster. The guy can't game plan.

It was a horrendous coaching hire, they scored 6 offensive touchdowns in their last 5 games, yes talent was an issue, but look at some of the teams they played, and how how much offense there is in the NFL.

Gase stinks.

Reactions: trueblue30nyr

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

As far as Gase specifically, I'm with you. I didn't want him at first nor do I want him now. I think he's a bad coach and not a leader of men.

Here's the odd and ironic part. Had we not picked Gase as a coach, we 99.9% don't get Douglass as our GM as it was Gase who is the one who got Douglass to come here despite his having quite a few other opportunities. We don't know the inside scoop but apparently Douglass and Gase are BFF's and there is no doubt that Douglass due loyalty reasons, will give Gase at least this coming season and more than likely another season to turn things around.

This might piss off you, me and the rest of Jet Nation but should Douglass continue to work his magic and continue to make solid player acquisitions whether by trade, FA or draft, which I have complete confidence he will continue too do especially cause he has even more draft capital too work with, the Jets are very likely going to improve "in spite" of Gase based on Douglass bringing in alot more talent.

We just have to hope that this is the way it works out cause I'd rather have a coach I couldn't stand and my team being a contender anyways, than a team that sucked with a coach who I liked. I wish we could have it both ways but I think we are stuck with Gase for a few more years. And like I said as the Jets get inevitably better due to Douglass, he might even be here longer....lol

Reactions: trueblue30nyr

trueblue30nyr

Jan 31, 2011
Manhattan
As far as Gase specifically, I'm with you. I didn't want him at first nor do I want him now. I think he's a bad coach and not a leader of men.

Here's the odd and ironic part. Had we not picked Gase as a coach, we 99.9% don't get Douglass as our GM as it was Gase who is the one who got Douglass to come here despite his having quite a few other opportunities. We don't know the inside scoop but apparently Douglass and Gase are BFF's and there is no doubt that Douglass due loyalty reasons, will give Gase at least this coming season and more than likely another season to turn things around.

This might piss off you, me and the rest of Jet Nation but should Douglass continue to work his magic and continue to make solid player acquisitions whether by trade, FA or draft, which I have complete confidence he will continue too do especially cause he has even more draft capital too work with, the Jets are very likely going to improve "in spite" of Gase based on Douglass bringing in alot more talent.

We just have to hope that this is the way it works out cause I'd rather have a coach I couldn't stand and my team being a contender anyways, than a team that sucked with a coach who I liked. I wish we could have it both ways but I think we are stuck with Gase for a few more years. And like I said as the Jets get inevitably better due to Douglass, he might even be here longer....lol

I agree with most of this and I hope you are right in the end. I just don't want Darnold held back by a system that doesn't work and doesn't maximize the little talent the team does have.

Being a Rangers fan and a Jets fan is rough going. I love my teams, but I wasn't alive to see Super Bowl III. I was however , thankfully, old enough to remember the '94 Cup. Sheesh. Throw a girl a bone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad