OT: 2020 Football Thread: Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Nascar just had 3k at Talladega, so I don't see why 25-35% cap isn't doable

I'm thinking if it's an outside venue, it can be done. So you got Nascar as you said having 3k at Talladega. I thought I heard the PGA will have some fans permitted at Jack's tournament the Memorial in a few weeks.

So long as the stadium is open air, I can't see why we can't have a 25-35% versus full capacity type situation going on. Now if it's a dome team like a Saints or Falcons, those teams might have to not have fans in the stands. Same goes with baseball if it's an open air venue.

Hockey and basketball are no go at least when they re open their seasons. Next year when the new seasons open up, hopefully a vaccine is imminent. If not, than no fans for those sports. But for the other sports...fans should and I gotta feeling will be allowed too a certain extent!.

Reactions: FultonReed

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Was talking about this tonight with some friends. Tho born in Brooklyn and raised in Rockland County, NY till my mid 30's when I moved out here, I live hear near Philly and quite a few of my friends are Eagles fans. My buds actually kind of like the Jets seeing we don't pose any threat to them as it's the Giants who are their rivals, their franchise knows all about suffering and enduring massive disappointment until that SB in 2018 and with Joe Douglass in charge now, quite a few of them are interested too see if the Jets can turn things around and they are rooting for the Jets to be successful.

Anyways, question came up tonight as one of my buds asked me "Billy do you think in your lifetime you'll ever see the Jets in the Super Bowl in my lifetime"? I thought long and hard and I said that now that Douglass is in charge, I think there is a realistic chance maybe 4-5 years down the road. Now I'm not saying winning it but I could see the Jets getting in the Super Bowl now that we have a competent football guy leading us. I do think Gase won't be the coach when this happens but I do think it's much more possible than I ever thought it would be since those back to back AFC championship appearances back in '09 and '10.

So my Jet goombas in here...what ya think? Am I nuts or do you also think that now with Douglass in charge, you can also see the Jets making a SB appearance within the next 5-7 years?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
So long as the stadium is open air, I can't see why we can't have a 25-35% versus full capacity type situation going on.
!.

halftime bathroom break is close quarters. That air circulates but doesn’t escape like an open stadium. Even if it’s not halftime, the bathrooms are part of the equation.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
halftime bathroom break is close quarters. That air circulates but doesn’t escape like an open stadium. Even if it’s not halftime, the bathrooms are part of the equation.

You limit the amount of peeps who go in bathroom at a time just like they'll do at restaurants and bars where I live here near Philly. Bathroom breaks shouldn't be a hindrance at all. C'mon Pope..think positively....lol

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Was talking about this tonight with some friends. Tho born in Brooklyn and raised in Rockland County, NY till my mid 30's when I moved out here, I live hear near Philly and quite a few of my friends are Eagles fans. My buds actually kind of like the Jets seeing we don't pose any threat to them as it's the Giants who are their rivals, their franchise knows all about suffering and enduring massive disappointment until that SB in 2018 and with Joe Douglass in charge now, quite a few of them are interested too see if the Jets can turn things around and they are rooting for the Jets to be successful.

Anyways, question came up tonight as one of my buds asked me "Billy do you think in your lifetime you'll ever see the Jets in the Super Bowl in my lifetime"? I thought long and hard and I said that now that Douglass is in charge, I think there is a realistic chance maybe 4-5 years down the road. Now I'm not saying winning it but I could see the Jets getting in the Super Bowl now that we have a competent football guy leading us. I do think Gase won't be the coach when this happens but I do think it's much more possible than I ever thought it would be since those back to back AFC championship appearances back in '09 and '10.

So my Jet goombas in here...what ya think? Am I nuts or do you also think that now with Douglass in charge, you can also see the Jets making a SB appearance within the next 5-7 years?

To your credit, you're always the eternal optimist, but this is bordering on delusion. If Douglass taking over is the only thing that's taken place over the past 12 months that gives you hope that they will seriously contend in the next 2-3 years, forget about 5-7, you're grasping at straws. Let's see them above .500 first, then actually contending for the division before trying to predict that far into the future.

To answer your question...no, I don't see it. 5 years in the NFL is like an ice age. Too many unknowns. If you don't see Gase as the coach, which I completely agree he won't be, there's no way to begin speculating who a replacement might be, so this discussion is mostly pointless.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
You limit the amount of peeps who go in bathroom at a time just like they'll do at restaurants and bars where I live here near Philly. Bathroom breaks shouldn't be a hindrance at all. C'mon Pope..think positively....lol

A9F0B4CC-0189-4DCA-BD3A-952407E9E40B.jpeg

Look, i’ve been going to the bathroom for over 30 years. I’ve seen all sort of toilets. Some have wadah, i’ve seen toilets over flow, now they don’t use wadah and ahhhhh, the odar is not the type of perfume you get for your wife at Valentine’s day. Ok?

Listen, the bathrooms . . . dey have a smag, an actual smag, i’ve seen it and, it doesn’t matter, the smag doesn’t lift away. People are smelling the smag, ya can tasta it, it’s there, i know it’s there. Precaution? Ya supposed to put up a sign? The smag don’t read and the covid doesn’t scream “i ova here now!!! and it goes right thu a mask. So, idk whacha do but, you can’t have people, fans, gonng to da bathroom

back afta dis!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bozle and Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
To your credit, you're always the eternal optimist, but this is bordering on delusion. If Douglass taking over is the only thing that's taken place over the past 12 months that gives you hope that they will seriously contend in the next 2-3 years, forget about 5-7, you're grasping at straws. Let's see them above .500 first, then actually contending for the division before trying to predict that far into the future.

To answer your question...no, I don't see it. 5 years in the NFL is like an ice age. Too many unknowns. If you don't see Gase as the coach, which I completely agree he won't be, there's no way to begin speculating who a replacement might be, so this discussion is mostly pointless.

I respectfully disagree with you Zubie. Here's why. The NFL has notoriously been the league and sport where you can turn things around quickly over any other sport. Been that way for decades. Even the Jets proved this back when Parcells took over as they almost qualified for the playoffs going 9-7 just one season after going 1-15 in '96 under the great Rich Kottite and than went to the AFC Championship game the year after that in '98 sfter having a 12-4 year.

There have been numerous other examples of this as well that I'm too lazy too go and copy and paste here. I'm not just living in lala land here and thinking optimistically for the heck of it. I really do like the direction that the Jets are going since Douglass took over. Our defense has the chance to be one of the top 10 D's in the league this season now that Mosely and Williams are back.

I loved Douglass's first draft as he addressed quite a few needs on the offensive side of the ball with the Mims pick and some of the O-Line picks. He signed some guys who have potential to do quite well on the O-line as well in FA. I think Darnold if he stays healthy takes the next step up the ladder and becomes really good this year almost startable fantasy wise maybe half way thru the season.

I can see us approaching .500 not this year as the schedule is too daunting but the following year in 2021. I think Gase is gone after this year and Douglass will find the right guy to lead the Jets too a much better place. Douglass is already the best GM the Jets have had since Parcells 20 years ago, which just shows how bad the Jets GM's have been over their history sad as it has been.

I really think with some more drafts and some more FA signings by Douglass with the continued development of Sam, the Jets will be a playoff team beginning 2022 on a consistent basis.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
View attachment 351453

Look, i’ve been going to the bathroom for over 30 years. I’ve seen all sort of toilets. Some have wadah, i’ve seen toilets over flow, now they don’t use wadah and ahhhhh, the odar is not the type of perfume you get for your wife at Valentine’s day.

Listen, the bathrooms . . . dey have a smag, an actual smag, i’ve seen it and, it doesn’t matter, the smag doesn’t lift away. People are smelling the smag, ya can tasta it, it’s there, i know it’s there. Precaution? Ya supposed to put up a sign? The smag don’t read and the covid doesn’t scream “i ova here now!!! and it goes right thu a mask. So, idk whacha do but, you can’t have people, fans, gonng to da bathroom

back afta dis!!

Now that's some funny ass shit....well done Pope!!....lol

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I respectfully disagree with you Zubie. Here's why. The NFL has notoriously been the league and sport where you can turn things around quickly over any other sport. Been that way for decades. Even the Jets proved this back when Parcells took over as they almost qualified for the playoffs going 9-7 just one season after going 1-15 in '96 under the great Rich Kottite and than went to the AFC Championship game the year after that in '98 sfter having a 12-4 year.

There have been numerous other examples of this as well that I'm too lazy too go and copy and paste here. I'm not just living in lala land here and thinking optimistically for the heck of it. I really do like the direction that the Jets are going since Douglass took over. Our defense has the chance to be one of the top 10 D's in the league this season now that Mosely and Williams are back.

I loved Douglass's first draft as he addressed quite a few needs on the offensive side of the ball with the Mims pick and some of the O-Line picks. He signed some guys who have potential to do quite well on the O-line as well in FA. I think Darnold if he stays healthy takes the next step up the ladder and becomes really good this year almost startable fantasy wise maybe half way thru the season.

I can see us approaching .500 not this year as the schedule is too daunting but the following year in 2021. I think Gase is gone after this year and Douglass will find the right guy to lead the Jets too a much better place. Douglass is already the best GM the Jets have had since Parcells 20 years ago, which just shows how bad the Jets GM's have been over their history sad as it has been.

I really think with some more drafts and some more FA signings by Douglass with the continued development of Sam, the Jets will be a playoff team beginning 2022 on a consistent basis.

And how many teams have gone from 9-7 to 3-13 from one year to the next. It's a double edge sword, which is why I'm saying 5-7 years in the NFL is impossible to forecast when it's so hard to predict one year to the next.

Again it's all about perception, you're a glass is more than 1/2 full optimist. I'm a realist...more of the wait & see type. Show me .500 first, then make the playoffs, etc., but until Gase is gone, I think it's all moot.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
And how many teams have gone from 9-7 to 3-13 from one year to the next. It's a double edge sword, which is why I'm saying 5-7 years in the NFL is impossible to forecast when it's so hard to predict one year to the next.

Again it's all about perception, you're a glass is more than 1/2 full optimist. I'm a realist...more of the wait & see type. Show me .500 first, then make the playoffs, etc., but until Gase is gone, I think it's all moot.

I feel I'm a realist too my friend. Last year we finished 7-9 with an easy ass schedule. Had Darnold not gotten that ridiculous fluky mono, it could easily have been 9-7. This year schedule is much tougher. I think Jets will likely go 6-10...7-9 but be a much better football team. With no fans in stands, games at Seattle and KC might not be as daunting as it normally would be.

So I think the Jets might have a worse record this year but be a better football team. As I said .500 or better comes in 2021 possibly even playoffs...we'll see. I like the direction the team is going and it's mostly because just like I felt with Gorton when he got the keys to the car from Sather, now that Douglass is in charge "in Joe I trust"!!

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

Confident? Not at all, but I do like what Douglass has done thus far. It all comes down to Darnold progression and Douglass player/personnel choices in my opinion. It also doesn’t help that the path through the AFC runs through Arrowhead for the foreseeable future. I do think that things will start looking up for the first time in awhile though and the Jets have a window here where they can finally compete for the AFC East.

Reactions: Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Confident? Not at all, but I do like what Douglass has done thus far. It all comes down to Darnold progression and Douglass player/personnel choices in my opinion. It also doesn’t help that the path through the AFC runs through Arrowhead for the foreseeable future. I do think that things will start looking up for the first time in awhile though and the Jets have a window here where they can finally compete for the AFC East.

Doesn't Douglass give you that Gorton vibe? I felt when Gorton took over, things with the Rangers were going to be much much better than when Sather was fully in charge even tho by end of Sather's tenor he started to make some good moves.

I feel the same way about Douglass now that Mac is gone as I feel like we finally got a guy who knows what the F he's doing. We'll see how this all plays out but I'm confident for first time in directions Jets are going in close to 10 years.

Reactions: Barnaby

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Doesn't Douglass give you that Gorton vibe? I felt when Gorton took over, things with the Rangers were going to be much much better than when Sather was fully in charge even tho by end of Sather's tenor he started to make some good moves.

I feel the same way about Douglass now that Mac is gone as I feel like we finally got a guy who knows what the F he's doing. We'll see how this all plays out but I'm confident for first time in directions Jets are going in close to 10 years.

I’m cautiously optimistic. I want to see how he handles this Jamal Adams situation. I liked his draft strategy - just hoping he took the right players.

I do get a Gorton vibe, but I need to see some more. I’m glad that he prioritized the OL so much. He also seems a lot more in control and confident than a guy like Mccagnan who I just couldn’t have faith in. Although, following Idzik made him look a litter better.

Reactions: Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I’m cautiously optimistic. I want to see how he handles this Jamal Adams situation. I liked his draft strategy - just hoping he took the right players.

That's fair your take on the situation. I'm a bit more confident than your "cautiously optimistic" approach with Douglass and it's mostly because we have never had a player eval guy with his pedigree before EVER!!!

Douglass having worked under arguably the best GM in football the past two decades in Ozzie Newsome and his being a key contributor in the Ravens SB win in 2013 and his being an even bigger reason why Eagles won the SB a few years ago working alongside Howie Roseman gives me this optimism that we have the right guy too lead us too the promised land.

I get your trepidation about the Jamal situation but either way it turns out...whether or not we pay him and he stays or Douglass deals him and we get a windfall, it really should turn out to be a win/win for the Jets. I have full confidence in Douglass that if Jamal is not a Jet this year, it's because Jamal stupidly held out or Douglass didn't get the value in a trade we need to get to trade him.

Bottom line is I trust that Douglass will do the right thing which for me as a long time Jet fan going on close to 50 years, is something I haven't been able to say about the guy in charge of this team of ours EVER!!

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
That's fair. I'm a bit more confident than your "cautiously optomistic" with Douglass and it's mostly because we have never had a player eval guy with his pedigree before EVER!!!

Douglass having worked under arguably the best GM in football the past two decades in Ozzie Newsome and his being a key contributor in the Ravens SB win in 2013 and his being an even bigger reason why Eagles won the SB a few years ago working alongside Howie Roseman gives me this optimism that we have the right guy too lead us too the promised land.

I get your trepidation about the Jamal situation but either way it turns out...whether or not we pay him and he stays or Douglass deals him and we get a windfall, it really should turn out to be a win/win for the Jets. I have full confidence in Douglass that if Jamal is not a Jet this year, it's because Jamal stupidly held out or Douglass didn't get the value in a trade we need to get to trade him.

Bottom line is I trust that Douglass will do the right thing which for me as a long time Jet fan going on close to 50 years, is something I haven't been able to say about the guy in charge of this team of ours EVER!!

I mostly agree with you. Douglass has a great record and has worked with amazing football people. At first glance - I really liked his draft class, but obviously it’s too early to say for sure. I am much more optimistic then I’ve been in awhile because Douglass seems legit, and I think Darnold has top 10 QB potential. He just needs a line and some weapons and I think Douglass gets that. I just always have that “same old Jets” in the back of my mind. I’ll feel a lot better seeing this Adams situation handled properly, and Becton looking like the real deal.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I mostly agree with you. Douglass has a great record and has worked with amazing football people. At first glance - I really liked his draft class, but obviously it’s too early to say for sure. I am much more optimistic then I’ve been in awhile because Douglass seems legit, and I think Darnold has top 10 QB potential. He just needs a line and some weapons and I think Douglass gets that. I just always have that “same old Jets” in the back of my mind. I’ll feel a lot better seeing this Adams situation handled properly, and Becton looking like the real deal.

I'm with you on Becton and that he needs to be legit. Too use your terminology, I feel "cautiously optimistic" about Becton and that he'll be protecting Sam's blind side for the next decade. What I like is the fact that Douglass has already made it a priority and done as much as he could so far, and most assuredly will continue to do so in the future, too address the OLine situation which as you and I both know was beyond abysmal last year.

What I really really like is that unlike past GM's of ours with the exception of Mike Tannenbaum for one year, who let's give credit where credit is due, despite making some shitty picks like Vernon Gholston and Kyle Wilson on the defensive side of the ball, was the only GM we have had in the past 20 years who was willing to address the Oline as he did draft Mangold and D'Brickashaw in the first round back in '06.

The Douglass vibe I get is that he's going go make for shit sure and won't let up to insure that Darnold will have as good of an Oline possible to protect his ass going forward. Now it might take another year or two before we have the fully stocked guys he wants which is why most of the guys he brought in are on one year "show me" contracts, but he's definitely improved the Oline bigtime, at least on paper, to where Sam should take the next step this year.

We got the right guy no question about it. As far as Jamal, like I said, I'd love love love for him to be here for his entire career. He's the best safety I've seen since Ed Reed and he's a true difference maker. But if he's going to be an ass and force the Jets to deal him before the Jets who have major contractual control, are ready to give him 17-20 mill a year, well he's going to have to either sit out, report or wait till Douglass gets the mother load for him.

Either way the Jets will end up winning in this situation and the reason I feel this way is because of Joe f'n Douglass. If it was Maccagnon or Idzick or anyone else but Douglass, we'd be f'd. With Douglass tho making the call, no matter how it turns out, the Jets will end up emerging just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barnaby

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
· 2m
Former NFL MVP Cam Newton has reached agreement on a one-year, incentive-laden deal with the New England Patriots, league sources tell @mortreport and me.

Newton is a Patriot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad