OT: 2020 Football Thread: Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

This has to be the most obvious end to the whole "every witness magically changes their story the next day, but only to the sports agent" situation.

What f***ing losers. Even as crappy NFL players, you stick around for a few years and build a f***ing nice nest egg. And instead they throw it away for some watches and shit. So dumb.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
That's some Saul Goodman shit.

Only if Saul Goodman was completely brain dead. If you're going to have the temerity to pay off potential witnesses, why as an attorney would you, (A) do it yourself & (B) do it anywhere in public? This guy is clearly the Darwin award head legal counsel.

Then his genius clients & their criminal circle decide to leave a electronic footprint with damning evidence that anyone in law enforcement can easily discover. Law & Order wouldn't even parody this on TV because nobody would find it believable that criminals could be so stupid. Not one but two NFL multi millionaires.

Only in America. :help:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I'm exciting for the influx of guys burning their jerseys cause this is just too much for them.

Everything was fine until this! What am I gonna do with my mini Mount Rushmore of Gus Ferrotte, Trent Green, Jason Campbell and Robert Griffin's one functioning ACL that I have in my backyard?????

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The only downside is they are going to overhaul their uniforms, which are top 5 in the NFL and make them all “modern” and hideous.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Personally this is a major win. A lot of my wife's male cousins grew up in DC. SInce I met my wife and our cousin banter started, the Nats and Caps have won titles. As a Mets/Jets/Rangers fan........well you know.

They're all bent out of shape about this and I'm loving every minute of it. Hitting the group text with casual trolling.

Reactions: Cassano and nyr2k2

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
How about the Washington Aliens.
We can put the great Gazoo on the helmet,
its a great color combo. It will be around until some extraterrestrial race comes to be offended.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
How about the Washington Aliens.
We can put the great Gazoo on the helmet,
its a great color combo. It will be around until some extraterrestrial race comes to be offended.
People have been pushing for Washington to change the name of their team for decades before Tucker Carlson taught you the idiot's definition of the phrases "cancel culture" and "woke." :laugh:

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
And make sure to completely change the name.
You cant keep Washington or even Virginia for obvious reasons.
Is the Midatlantics OK, not sure?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
People have been pushing for Washington to change the name of their team for decades before Tucker Carlson taught you the idiot's definition of the phrases "cancel culture" and "woke." :laugh:
People use these phrases and they have zero idea what they actually mean.

Being sensitive to racial issues isn’t being “woke”, it’s being a goddamn decent human being, which we already know most right wingers are utterly incapable of.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
People use these phrases and they have zero idea what they actually mean.

Being sensitive to racial issues isn’t being “woke”, it’s being a goddamn decent human being, which we already know most right wingers are utterly incapable of.

It's not binary and there is no objective standard for "sensitivity to racial issues". I know this post got likes from like-minded people but it's an oversimplification of complicated issues.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
It's not binary and there is no objective standard for "sensitivity to racial issues". I know this post got likes from like-minded people but it's an oversimplification of complicated issues.

I’m almost certainly naive, but it just isn’t that complicated in my opinion, at least in this case. The name Redskins is extremely insensitive, and has been continually pointed out as insensitive for decades. I think the worries about “cancel culture” can be valid given the context, but in this context, it isn’t. The Washington name has been an issue since before the “cancel culture” wave became a thing. People are now hauling that phrase at it because it has been planted in their minds by idiots like Tucker Carlson, as 2k2 said. And I think you’ll agree that many of the people who go around complaining about “cancel culture” are people who are generally on the very, very thin line between insensitivity and flat out racism. Now, I can understand the concerns about freedom of speech. We don’t want to be China, obviously. I just feel like a lot of the “free speech” concern around topics like this is just people hiding their true intentions. Much like transphobes who are obsessed with the .6% of people who detransition, and they then use their “concern” as a cover to spread hate. Sure, there are some who are genuine in their concern wrt to free speech, and not every single person who has complained about cancel culture is a right wing bigot. I’m just saying that a lot of the time, they are, at least from my experience. You might feel my view is too binary, but it’s just from experience. It’s all I can really draw from here.

that said, I’d really prefer not to get banned from the football thread, I need to be able to gloat about the Chiefs in here once the season starts.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I’m almost certainly naive, but it just isn’t that complicated in my opinion, at least in this case. The name Redskins is extremely insensitive, and has been continually pointed out as insensitive for decades. I think the worries about “cancel culture” can be valid given the context, but in this context, it isn’t. The Washington name has been an issue since before the “cancel culture” wave became a thing. People are now hauling that phrase at it because it has been planted in their minds by idiots like Tucker Carlson, as 2k2 said. And I think you’ll agree that many of the people who go around complaining about “cancel culture” are people who are generally on the very, very thin line between insensitivity and flat out racism. Now, I can understand the concerns about freedom of speech. We don’t want to be China, obviously. I just feel like a lot of the “free speech” concern around topics like this is just people hiding their true intentions. Much like transphobes who are obsessed with the .6% of people who detransition, and they then use their “concern” as a cover to spread hate. Sure, there are some who are genuine in their concern wrt to free speech, and not every single person who has complained about cancel culture is a right wing bigot. I’m just saying that a lot of the time, they are, at least from my experience. You might feel my view is too binary, but it’s just from experience. It’s all I can really draw from here.

that said, I’d really prefer not to get banned from the football thread, I need to be able to gloat about the Chiefs in here once the season starts.

I was talking about this more broadly, rather than just this issue.

And I don't know if changing the team name falls under cancel culture but I'm 100% against cancel culture. I don't have to agree with the point of view that gets people fired for me to be against the firing. The fact that some people seem to think that being against firing people for controversial opinions means you endorse those opinions shows that some people lack critical thinking skills. The fact that SOME people ARE actually bigots that don't approve of cancel culture doesn't discredit that opinion. It's like saying the Bolsheviks were against income inequality, so I'm going to assume anyone that's against income inequality is a card-carrying communist. It's patently absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad