OT: 2020 Football Thread: Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I agree with most of this and I hope you are right in the end. I just don't want Darnold held back by a system that doesn't work and doesn't maximize the little talent the team does have.

Being a Rangers fan and a Jets fan is rough going. I love my teams, but I wasn't alive to see Super Bowl III. I was however , thankfully, old enough to remember the '94 Cup. Sheesh. Throw a girl a bone.

Dude or "Dudette"...lol, your preaching to the choir here. I've got the worst combo of any of the millions of NY fans as I'm a Jet, Ranger, Met and Knick fan. You want too talk misery. I started following sports around 1971ish. I don't remember the Jets SB nor do I really remember the Mets '69 WS win. And I don' t recall the Knicks winning the NBA title in '69 . Dang talk about a great year for my teams that I love. Too bad I was too young to recall any of them '69-'70 titles....my crappy luck!

Anyways and too my point, in the let's say 49 years that I can understand and follow sports, there have been a grand total of 1 NBA title('72), 1 WS title('86), ZERO SB's or even SB appearances for the Jets and obviously we have the 1 Cup for the Rangers. So according to my scintillating math skills that's 3 titles for any of my teams in 49 F'N years....That's insane!. The friggen Islanders have more titles in their sorry ass history since the mid 80's than the Mets,Jets,Knicks and Rangers combined do. You can't make this shit up.

I blame it all on my Pops god rest his soul. He had to grow up a friggen Brooklyn Dodger fan and he had to become smitten with Joe Namath back when he was a rookie. He didn't' like hockey and so I have only myself to blame on that one.

So you want a girl be thrown a bone. I'd settle for a plain ole biscuit at this point in my life....lol

Reactions: trueblue30nyr

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Dude or "Dudette"...lol, your preaching to the choir here. I've got the worst combo of any of the millions of NY fans as I'm a Jet, Ranger, Met and Knick fan. You want too talk misery. I started following sports around 1971ish. I don't remember the Jets SB nor do I really remember the Mets '69 WS win. And I don' t recall the Knicks winning the NBA title in '69 . Dang talk about a great year for my teams that I love. Too bad I was too young to recall any of them '69-'70 titles....my crappy luck!

Anyways and too my point, in the let's say 49 years that I can understand and follow sports, there have been a grand total of 1 NBA title('72), 1 WS title('86), ZERO SB's or even SB appearances for the Jets and obviously we have the 1 Cup for the Rangers. So according to my scintillating math skills that's 3 titles for any of my teams in 49 F'N years....That's insane!. The friggen Islanders have more titles in their sorry ass history since the mid 80's than the Mets,Jets,Knicks and Rangers combined do. You can't make this shit up.

I blame it all on my Pops god rest his soul. He had to grow up a friggen Brooklyn Dodger fan and he had to become smitten with Joe Namath back when he was a rookie. He didn't' like hockey and so I have only myself to blame on that one.

So you want a girl be thrown a bone. I'd settle for a plain ole biscuit at this point in my life....lol

My dad feels your pain. He's rangers / jets/ mets.
He was old enough to enjoy '69 and '86, as well as Superbowl III.

He then had to deal with his jerk teenage son bragging all through the 90's-2000's as the yankees won series after series.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Giants are handling this very well. Lots of fans are pissed that they don't want him around the team, but f*** that. I don't want him around the team at all until this is over (or he is cut or prosecuted).

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Giants are handling this very well. Lots of fans are pissed that they don't want him around the team, but f*** that. I don't want him around the team at all until this is over (or he is cut or prosecuted).

i think most Giants fans are pissed at Gettleman for trading up for him.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Why would they want him around the team? That seems crazy. He'd just be a distraction and given what we have learned so far, I'd just want to steer clear. I'd understand it more if he were some kind of stud player, but he's not. Crazy.

trueblue30nyr

Jan 31, 2011
Manhattan

I'm a "dudette," technically, but dude is fine. I use dude all the time for both genders!

Your combination is my family's combo. I just never really got into baseball or basketball, which isn't to say I wouldn't be ecstatic for a New York team to win a championship (my black sheep Yankees fan uncle has gotten fed with all of their wins). We have a couple of black sheep Yankees fans and a couple of black sheep Giants fans who have had more luck. Everyone agrees on the Rangers though, thank God, as hockey is my ultimate sport, with football a very close second. I was rooting hard for the Mets when they went to the WS a few years back.

The Jets should've gone to the SB that second year they made it to the Conference Final against the Steelers. They were up two scores, I believe, at the half. The Steelers made half time adjustments and the Jets didn't or couldn't adjust to them and they lost. I was so beyond upset. They had a such a commanding D during those years and couldn't take advantage. Haven't sniffed the post season since, I think. Such is life.

Reactions: Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I'm a "dudette," technically, but dude is fine. I use dude all the time for both genders!

Your combination is my family's combo. I just never really got into baseball or basketball, which isn't to say I wouldn't be ecstatic for a New York team to win a championship (my black sheep Yankees fan uncle has gotten fed with all of their wins). We have a couple of black sheep Yankees fans and a couple of black sheep Giants fans who have had more luck. Everyone agrees on the Rangers though, thank God, as hockey is my ultimate sport, with football a very close second. I was rooting hard for the Mets when they went to the WS a few years back.

The Jets should've gone to the SB that second year they made it to the Conference Final against the Steelers. They were up two scores, I believe, at the half. The Steelers made half time adjustments and the Jets didn't or couldn't adjust to them and they lost. I was so beyond upset. They had a such a commanding D during those years and couldn't take advantage. Haven't sniffed the post season since, I think. Such is life.

Glad you clarified that your a "dudette". Funny but I feel as if there are no woman here on the board but now I know there is at least one...lol

BTW: You are right in the fact that in 2010-11, the Jets had the kind of team that should have made the SB as that was their best shot in decades. You are a bit off in the fact it was the Steelers who jumped on us to a I think it was 24-0 lead at HALFTIME!!!. We were the ones who made the adjustments and came out flying in the 2nd half and scored the next 19 points but we couldn't get the ball back from Big Ben in the closing minutes as he kept getting clutch first down after first down and we ran out of time.

I dunno but I have a very strong suspicion that if I live another 30 years lets say god willing as I'm 57, I'd think the Rangers have the best shot of all my 4 teams to win a championship. In fact, I'd expect the Rangers to win a Cup or two within the next 5 years. Next on my possibility list would probably be the Mets despite how cursed they are. Once or twice a decade the Mets put some magical year together and make it to the WS. I'm thinking they should win another title or possibly two in the next 30 years.

The Jets? I dunno, I'm not feeling it with that franchise despite how good I feel Douglass is and my confidence that he will get us over the hump and into the playoffs in the next few years. This is the Jets tho and talk about curses. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt the Jets will ever win a SB in the next 30 years. They may possibly get into one but too win it...wow that would be an amazing thing. The Knicks? Not a chance in the world unless somehow they were able to draft the next Patrick Ewing and bring in a few top level FA's. I guess it's possible but I wouldn't bet on that happening.

Bottom line is this Knick,Ranger,Met and Jet fan is just going to have to deal with the fact that titles are really not part of the future which is why I am so grateful when any of these teams even make the playoffs. Sad but that's the reality...lol

trueblue30nyr

Jan 31, 2011
Manhattan
Glad you clarified that your a "dudette". Funny but I feel as if there are no woman here on the board but now I know there is at least one...lol

BTW: You are right in the fact that in 2010-11, the Jets had the kind of team that should have made the SB as that was their best shot in decades. You are a bit off in the fact it was the Steelers who jumped on us to a I think it was 24-0 lead at HALFTIME!!!. We were the ones who made the adjustments and came out flying in the 2nd half and scored the next 19 points but we couldn't get the ball back from Big Ben in the closing minutes as he kept getting clutch first down after first down and we ran out of time.

I dunno but I have a very strong suspicion that if I live another 30 years lets say god willing as I'm 57, I'd think the Rangers have the best shot of all my 4 teams to win a championship. In fact, I'd expect the Rangers to win a Cup or two within the next 5 years. Next on my possibility list would probably be the Mets despite how cursed they are. Once or twice a decade the Mets put some magical year together and make it to the WS. I'm thinking they should win another title or possibly two in the next 30 years.

The Jets? I dunno, I'm not feeling it with that franchise despite how good I feel Douglass is and my confidence that he will get us over the hump and into the playoffs in the next few years. This is the Jets tho and talk about curses. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt the Jets will ever win a SB in the next 30 years. They may possibly get into one but too win it...wow that would be an amazing thing. The Knicks? Not a chance in the world unless somehow they were able to draft the next Patrick Ewing and bring in a few top level FA's. I guess it's possible but I wouldn't bet on that happening.

Bottom line is this Knick,Ranger,Met and Jet fan is just going to have to deal with the fact that titles are really not part of the future which is why I am so grateful when any of these teams even make the playoffs. Sad but that's the reality...lol

Ah. I was misremembering, but that tends to happen when you block out stuff (like the SC finals in 2014 or the EC Finals in 2015). But, I'd agree with you on the Rangers being the ones with the best shot at winning. I'm quite a bit younger than you, but, I've been through some heartaches. My first, and only, playoff game I've ever been to was Game 4 in 2005 (or 2006?) when the Rangers got swept by the Devils after surprisingly making the playoffs on the backs of Jagr and Hank. Hank had been suffering from migraines that year. Anyway, fun game...:(

I hope for better from the Jets, but I won't hold my breath.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Ah. I was misremembering, but that tends to happen when you block out stuff (like the SC finals in 2014 or the EC Finals in 2015). But, I'd agree with you on the Rangers being the ones with the best shot at winning. I'm quite a bit younger than you, but, I've been through some heartaches. My first, and only, playoff game I've ever been to was Game 4 in 2005 (or 2006?) when the Rangers got swept by the Devils after surprisingly making the playoffs on the backs of Jagr and Hank. Hank had been suffering from migraines that year. Anyway, fun game...:(

I hope for better from the Jets, but I won't hold my breath.

09 the Jets were up 17-13 to Indy at half. Indy scored all the 2nd half points and won 30-17.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
iidk why I tortured myself. Here's a pretty phenomenal breakdown of how all universe Jamal Adams is...well...was for the Jets. Just a great football video . There's a real good one on this same channel about why Dak is a joke for wanting 35 mil

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
iidk why I tortured myself. Here's a pretty phenomenal breakdown of how all universe Jamal Adams is...well...was for the Jets. Just a great football video . There's a real good one on this same channel about why Dak is a joke for wanting 35 mil

Ugggg...well now I joined in on the torture. Very very good breakdown on why Jamal was and is so great. I just don't see tho how Douglass could have paid Jamal close to $20 million per with 3 years still left of team control. It just didn't make fiscal sense and it would have created a terrible precedent for the rest of the league's GM's as you damn know that Douglass knew what he did with Jamal was being closely watched around the league.

Listen, we are going to miss him no doubt especially this year. Only positive in all this besides the fact we acquired some serious draft capital, is, we are going to find out pretty quickly whether or not Douglass's hunch that Ashtyn Davis is the real deal is correct or not. I for one am pretty excited to see how Davis does.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Ugggg...well now I joined in on the torture. Very very good breakdown on why Jamal was and is so great. I just don't see tho how Douglass could have paid Jamal close to $20 million per with 3 years still left of team control. It just didn't make fiscal sense and it would have created a terrible precedent for the rest of the league's GM's as you damn know that Douglass knew what he did with Jamal was being closely watched around the league.

Listen, we are going to miss him no doubt especially this year. Only positive in all this besides the fact we acquired some serious draft capital, is, we are going to find out pretty quickly whether or not Douglass's hunch that Ashtyn Davis is the real deal is correct or not. I for one am pretty excited to see how Davis does.
I had head he wanted to be the top paid safety but my god f***ing 20 mil? I thought it was 15 or 16.

Which either way was absolutely ridiculous to ask the Jets to urn two cost controlled years into "highest paid in the entire league" years. He just wanted out though that much was obvious.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I had head he wanted to be the top paid safety but my god f***ing 20 mil? I thought it was 15 or 16.

Which either way was absolutely ridiculous to ask the Jets to urn two cost controlled years into "highest paid in the entire league" years. He just wanted out though that much was obvious.

Exactly...he wanted out!. The number I believe he was looking for was 18-20 mill and at worst more than what CJ Mosley made which I believe is 17 mill per. There really was no way Douglass could do it and Jamal made it even harder too even contemplate doing by his being such an ass the past year.

I get that it sucks he won't be here and we likely traded away a Hall of Famer but the reality is Jamal didn't want to be here anymore and Douglass got a motherload for him. I'm going to be real interested in seeing if the Seahawks at this time next year give him what he wants. I'm also going to be real interested to see how well the Seahawks do this year and if they make it to at least the NFC title game.

If either of the two things don't happen, the Jets make out even better than they already have.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I flew to Indy for that game. :(

Funny I never once thought we'd ever beat the Colts that day after we beat the Chargers the week before even with that 17-13 lead.

I did however think after we beat the Patriots in Foxboro the previous week, that we'd beat the Steelers. Us going down 24-0 in a blink of an eye put the kibosh on that even with the great comeback we made.

Ahhhh....the trials and tribulations of being a Jet fan. Hopefully one day in the not so distant future, we can once again be good enough to even make the playoffs let alone play in an AFC title game...lol

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Why would they want him around the team? That seems crazy. He'd just be a distraction and given what we have learned so far, I'd just want to steer clear. I'd understand it more if he were some kind of stud player, but he's not. Crazy.

Who knows? Just fan talk. I am so glad that he is barred from team activities.

Reactions: nyr2k2

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Funny I never once thought we'd ever beat the Colts that day after we beat the Chargers the week before even with that 17-13 lead.

I did however think after we beat the Patriots in Foxboro the previous week, that we'd beat the Steelers. Us going down 24-0 in a blink of an eye put the kibosh on that even with the great comeback we made.

Ahhhh....the trials and tribulations of being a Jet fan. Hopefully one day in the not so distant future, we can once again be good enough to even make the playoffs let alone play in an AFC title game...lol

Same here. That Colts game was disappointing but it always felt like we were lucky to be there. Losing to the Steelers in 2010, however. That was the most devastating loss i've ever experienced as a sports fan. Worse than losing to the Devils in 2012. Worse (or at least equally as bad) than losing to the Kings in 2014. I really felt it was our year. Even when we were down, I actually had faith Sanchez could drive the field to tie/win , if only we could have gotten that stop. Siighh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad