2020 F1 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
So...uhh.. Nikita Mazepin uploaded and soon deleted an IG story of him basically groping and assaulting a woman.

I won't post it as I'm sure it breaks 34 HF rules (even the censored version) but an easy Google search will find it rather easily.

This guy can't have that seat...

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'm not sure if you're trying to troll us or got trolled yourself.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009

Basically translates to "While we don't love Nikita Mazepin's behaviour, them dollar bills y'all"

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'm just trying figure out what goes through a person's (not just an F1 driver but anyone in general) head to think it's good idea to A do that and B post it on social media. The woman on the video has since said it was all fine but who knows how much daddy Mazepin paid for that. And even if there was consent, something needs to be seriously f***ed up in an individual's head to post that on Instagram, especially being in the position Mazepin is.

Anyway, that's enough from me, I'll save my energy for the next Mazepin controversy that's coming in a week or two.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I'm just trying figure out what goes through a person's (not just an F1 driver but anyone in general) head to think it's good idea to A do that and B post it on social media. The woman on the video has since said it was all fine but who knows how much daddy Mazepin paid for that. And even if there was consent, something needs to be seriously f***ed up in an individual's head to post that on Instagram, especially being in the position Mazepin is.

Anyway, that's enough from me, I'll save my energy for the next Mazepin controversy that's coming in a week or two.

Yeah. She claims her and Nikita are long time friends and she was fine with it.

But internet detectives found out they weren't even following each other on Instagram until after or around her statement.

Feels like a clear pay off to me

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I admit I know zero about F1.....is this kid just a billionaire's son who is a shitty driver? I looked at his wiki and he's barely won any races as he has 'progressed'.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I admit I know zero about F1.....is this kid just a billionaire's son who is a shitty driver? I looked at his wiki and he's barely won any races as he has 'progressed'.

To be honest, he did have a pretty good season this year, all things considered. But he did absolutely nothing really noteworthy before that. Lance Stroll was panned quite a bit before joining F1, and he had achieved more noteworthy results than Mazepin, all the while being younger.

But his personnality is also really problematic.

Reactions: DaveG

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I don't think he'll be out of place to be in F1 (talent wise), there have certainly been worse drivers in the past and there will be worse drivers in the future. It's just that getting your F1 seat with your dad's billions and punching your colleagues in the face, being homophobic etc. is not exactly the recipe to getting people to support you.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009

He's not... shitty... exactly. He had a solid season in a pretty strong F2 class this season. He's just not special (outside of the billions attached to him) and certainly not good enough to justify his shopping list of concerning incidents. It does seem that Haas has decided his money is enough to justify the concerning incidents though.

He's never going to win an F1 race but he probably won't be the worst on the grid either.

The real winner in all of this is Max Verstappen. Ain't nobody gonna care about Max calling people the R word (didn't know HF auto censored this one) or mongrol or whatever he said. He's gonna look like a choir boy with Mazepin around.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Fair. But they're still paying a cost for something that doesn't really gain them much. They'd win the Constructors with just Lewis running at this point.

Suppose you could argue the earlier experience is huge for Russell but how much is that actually worth?
There is a case to be made for sponsorship reasons. This season I think Mercedes has got their fair share of TV time, but in past years (same can be said for Red Bull during Vettel's dominance, and Schumacher in the early 2000s) the race starts and then you don't really see them until the pitstops. Someone did a breakdown of this years ago, I think it was Japan 2015 or 2016, and Mercedes was on the broadcast for like less than 10% of the race. IIRC Mercedes complained about it after the race and the next race they had more TV time. Sponsors pay big money to get their name seen and the bigger the team, the more money it costs. Where I'm going with this is, that ever since Rosberg left after 2016, Hamilton vs. Vettel was an okay storyline for a while and then Hamilton beating Schumacher's records, but Bottas is one of the worst drivers on the grid when it comes to creating PR hype for the team. Basically he's too much of a nice guy to do anything that goes against the team, and even if he manages to screw up, he's the first guy to raise his hand and apologize. Russell looks to be more ambitious and doesn't hide it, also somewhat arrogant in a good way. Idk if Mercedes would still let them (Hamilton & Russell) race, but I feel Russell would be more inclined to ignore team orders and do what's best for him. I mean, we've seen Bottas for 4 seasons now and every time it looks like he's getting closer, Hamilton finds another level and pull away even more.

I actually talked about Russell to Mercedes for 2021 with my dad before the weekend, and the only currently available path that I came up with was:

Russell to Mercedes
Perez to Williams (there was rumours about it months ago, and Williams would probably prefer the extra money Perez could bring)
Bottas to Red Bull (veteran number 2 with top team experience to replace Albon, and RB can easily cut ties with him after one season if it doesn't work out)

I don't see Perez to RB because I think he'd want more than one year and considering how unreliable RB's second driver has been, would they give anyone more than one year?

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Lewis has tested negative several times and has fulfilled all required quarantine protocol. He has the car this weekend.

The entertainment possibilities for Abu Dhabi have dropped considerably.

Reactions: MXD

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
what is up with all the flames the last 2 race weekends between Perez, Grosjean's incident, and now Kimi's fire in opening practice @ Abu Dhabi

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The pit exit might actually be the most interesting part of this Abu Dhabi track.

Reactions: MXD

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Well. Abu Dhabi is boring. Water is wet.

All things considered it was a great season regardless of the championship fight being... well, nonexistent. Certainly one that will be remembered for quite a while.

Not really sure how RP choked P3 after the car they had this year.

Been a pleasure chatting with you folks as always, onto the next one.

Reactions: Preds Partisan

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I'd rather watch a colonoscopy than watch that race ever again. Lord.

See y'all in 90ish days.

...with a temporary pop in when Red Bull announces their driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad