2020 Entry Draft Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
When I checked the Ottawa Senators board....most ranked the top six as following:
1. Lafrenière
2. Byfield
3. Stutzle
4. Raymond
5. Rossi
6. Drysdale

Reactions: Michelangelo

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Watched Pitlick and his teammate Daniil Gushchin (his linemate) had an impressive showing. He's undersized but good speed and scored 2 goals (late in the 2nd as I write this) I know the Pats in the WHL drafted him in the Import draft at 7th OA, but don't know if he's headed there or not next year. Someone to keep an eye on a 3rd or 4th round pick perhaps.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I dont know. I need to weed id out, hes in a cluster for the top 8 for sure. Id tend to have him above Lundell and Holloway but behind Drysdale and Raymond.
I would pick Lundell, Holloway and Mercer over Rossi...

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I just don't get how there isn't more buzz than he has right now.
Probably because of his height. Although I don't think he will drop like Caufield did because he seems a lot more dynamic. If he does drop though, I'd love to grab him.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I don't think so either, which is why I said "may". If Kings or Anaheim pick before us I think one of them take him.
I think whoever picks at #3, or maximum #4 take him, he's at least the 4th BPA.

How I think it will go thus far at the draft:
Group 1
Lafreniere

Group 2
Byfield
Raymond
Drysdale
Stutzle

Group 3
Askarov
Holtz
Lundell
Perfetti
Rossi
Lapierre
Barron

Ie. if we draft 6, we are in group 3.
Top 5 or bust.

But for discussion's sake, if we have 2nd-3rd overall, I would be willing to take 2xgroup3 vs. 1xgroup2...

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Group 1
Lafreniere

Group 2
Byfield
Raymond
Drysdale
Stutzle

Group 3
Askarov
Holtz
Lundell
Perfetti
Rossi
Lapierre
Barron

Top 5 or bust.

But for discussion's sake, if we have 2nd-3rd overall, I would be willing to take 2xgroup3 vs. 1xgroup2...

That's how I see it too. However, it just takes one team to take someone from group 3.

Besides, I think we finish bottom 5 whether we get a top 5 pick is another.

BTW, Constantino of Sportsnet put out his top 10 list today and he has Holtz at 3.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015

Group 1
Lafreniere

Group 2
Byfield
Raymond
Drysdale
Stutzle

Group 3
Askarov
Holtz
Lundell
Perfetti
Rossi
Lapierre
Barron

Top 5 or bust.

I would easily have Holtz in group two personally.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If we pick 6-8th. Any chance Stutzle is still on the board?

Will be interesting to see when/if we get healthy and how well we play once we're healthy. Then there's the lottery aspect. We could be picking anywhere form 1st to 15th.

Games in hand aside, we're 7 points out of the playoffs with 36 games to play and 4 games until the bye-week.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I can't see us being outside the top 10. Team isn't very good when healthy either, but adding Kovalchuk could help slot everyone down a spot into a more suited role assuming he keeps it up.

Wait, are you implying this wasn't a good decision? Because if so, this is... highly questionable. To me having the balls to draft Carey Price so high and when we had Théodore is Timmins' greatest move he did for us, with perhaps stealing PK Subban in the 2nd round.

Price is a franchise level player and has everything going for him, including puck handling. A goalie like that is invaluable. Had he been surrounded appropriately at his peak things would have been different. Kopitar alone wouldn't have made us a contender, since then we wouldn't have the best year-to-year goalie in the world.

I think any time you pick a goaltender in the top 10 of an entry draft you are circumventing the process even if it sort of works out for you in the end. They don't warrant a top 10 pick. There isn't enough difference in their playing level, this was true then and it's even more true now, poor philosophy imo even though its worked out. There are only so many positions to go around. Goaltending is much harder to project as well. We likely would have missed/whiffed on Kopitar anyway had we not taken Price, so overall it worked out. I don't think it's repeatable and I hope it's something we never do again.

Last edited by a moderator:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think any time you pick a goaltender in the top 10 of an entry draft you are circumventing the process even if it sort of works out for you in the end. They don't warrant a top 10 pick. There isn't enough difference in their playing level, this was true then and it's even more true now, poor philosophy imo even though it's worked out. There are only so many positions to go around. Goaltending is much harder to project as well. We likely would have missed/whiffed on Kopitar anyway had we not taken Price, so overall it worked out. I don't think it's repeatable and I hope it's something we never do again.

Back then goaltending was considered the most important position. It's why the penguins took MAF #1 overall, Luongo and Dipietro went #1 overall, and guys like Al Montoya went #6 overall. It was a different era.

It was a different era, the clutch and grab era, when Brodeaur, Hasek, Roy, or Giguere would win you a cup. Where every year the real league MVP was a goalie, but didn't get the award because people didn't like constantly giving the award to a goalie.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010

Group 1
Lafreniere

Group 2
Byfield
Raymond
Drysdale
Stutzle

Group 3
Askarov
Holtz
Lundell
Perfetti
Rossi
Lapierre
Barron

Top 5 or bust.

I agree with the tiers, I’m expecting us to be drafting one of Askarov, Perfetti, Lundell or Holtz, which I think will be alright. Not ideal but as long as we get a decent player I’ll be happy.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Drysdale is before Rossi. No question about that. And, Lundell too.

I was sharing on this board the general consensus of the top 6 from the Ottawa Senators board....I wasn't stating my opinion.

I agree with the tiers, I’m expecting us to be drafting one of Askarov, Perfetti, Lundell or Holtz, which I think will be alright. Not ideal but as long as we get a decent player I’ll be happy.

I would rather have Marco Rossi than Askarov, Perfetti, Lundell or Holtz.
I would pick Drysdale before Rossi...puck moving defensemen are a premium.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LEMELINI

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I can't see us being outside the top 10. Team isn't very good when healthy either, but adding Kovalchuk could help slot everyone down a spot into a more suited role assuming he keeps it up.

the standings are so tight right now as from 6th to 12th are separated by 2 pts, now the good news is the teams sitting 10, 11 and 12 have 2 or 3 games in hand on us so how they do in those games will clearly be huge. We could be looking at Drouin and Armia coming back soon so the big one is if Gallagher is out for any length.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I am concerned about Holloway offense. Mercer seems like natural goal scorer. How was his play in WJC?
Holloway is one of the youngest players in the NCAA, production will raise big time next year... Mercer had a quiet WJC, making team Canada as an undrafted was already an exceptional accomplishment, should be one of the best players next tournament...

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Luke Evangelista...possible early 2nd round target? Near PPG with the Knights, development curve looks to be massive after he put up only 2 assists last season. Good skater with hands. Intriguing player for me. Much prefer him to Stranges, who looks like your classic tools with no toolbox type.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
come on Bergy, get us that 1st OA somehow!

It will depend purely on how long the injured stay out and of course lottery luck.

MB could ensure 100% we get a top 5 pick by tanking and having the 2nd worst record. But even that he won't do. It will have to come from us being injury depleted. Gallagher may be out a while with his concussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad