2020 Entry Draft Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Matthews is mad scary when he has the puck with in 15 feet of the net but I still question his heart though. I don't know if he's a guy who can bring you playoff success. I could be SERIOUSLY wrong about that and I'm not saying I think I'm 100% on that but I think the Laffs overall lack backbone and I think thats what's going to hurt them going forward if they don't make some key adds/tweaks.

I know nothing about Byfield but if he gives anyone the same vibes I have with Matthews I'd be a bit worried at #2. And I hope no one comes back with a 'skill over everything' argument or trying to say I don't value pure skill. Of course I want skill but there's plenty of guys who can light it up in the regular season but can't make it happen in the playoffs.

Again, I'm not saying Matthews will never make it happen when it counts but it is a feeling I get from him.
Matthews still scores a goal every other game, thats unvaluable. Even if hes lazy or whatever. If you think his heart isnt in the right, then employ other players that are more of that type. Simple.

A lot of what you say about Matthews has been said about Ovi, Kane, McDavid, Crosby, etc.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Matthews still scores a goal every other game, thats unvaluable. Even if hes lazy or whatever. If you think his heart isnt in the right, then employ other players that are more of that type. Simple.

A lot of what you say about Matthews has been said about Ovi, Kane, McDavid, Crosby, etc.

yeah fair enough. i mean sometimes superstars in the regular season wither in the playoffs but it is somewhat rare. Don't know if I've ever heard that about McDavid but your point is well taken.

I'd still use it as a tie breaker variable. If the skills are somewhat comparable between two players but you think one just lays it on the line a bit more, I'd pick the one with more heart

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
What are your guys' top 10 looking like?

If the habs are closer to the #10 spot, do you think they go BPA or based on need?

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
if we get the 1st OA you have to have someone like Guy Lafleur or Henri Richard make the announcement. At least that's what I would do, as long as they were up for it health wise. **** MB.

If we get the 1st pick.... Youppi can do it for all I care!

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
What are your guys' top 10 looking like?

If the habs are closer to the #10 spot, do you think they go BPA or based on need?

BPA is always the best option, which @ 10 spot will likely be a forward again. Only D expected to go top 10 is Drysdale. It's not a deep draft for defensemen in the 1st round at all.

Holtz, Holloway, Zary are 3 forwards that are likely to be there 8-10. Currently, pre-lottery we're 8th

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
@covfefe you said:
you’ve been out to lunch on Byfield for a while now, I recall you originally saying he was a bad skater which is categorically false, and seems to hint that you don’t really know what you are talking about. That said, you seem to have a steel resolve when it comes to this topic and I can respect that much. Only time will tell us who ends up being right.

I still don't believe he's a good skater, this was part of the problem at this WJC. That's why he took bad penalties - the game was too fast for him! The thing I'm trying to address here in particutlar is how athletic 1%-er are extremely hard to resist from a draft point of view, but when they arrive at the next level, they go from a very small minority to being maybe in the top 30% and that's where sometimes the skill issues show up.

We didn't just see Byfield in one international tournament where that effect I'm talking about came true, 2 tournaments in a row.
Hlinka -at the same age Lafreniere dominated, Raymond dominated, Drysdale dominated - not Byfield he was a secondary piece to Perfetti and Lapierre.
At the WJC - well what's to be said, he was benched after 2 games more or less. Moreover why he was benched is even more important to underline. 1) He didn't control the puck much, and thats a critic he gets from scouts even in league play. 2) Everything seemed way too fast around him and to me is a core concern at this point in his progression. 6 months won't change his speed that much...

1. I'm not saying Byfield is a bad player, he is for sure in the elite of this draft, what I call the group of 7
  2. I'm not saying Byfield won't be drafted 2nd, in his case in particular nhl team needs are an important consideration, he doesn't have any competition this year. Does not mean he's the 2nd best however...
  3. Factually, 3 players have done consistently better than Byfield internationally at the same age he is right now (17). Lafreniere (wide margin), Raymond (quite wide margin), Drysdale (smaller margin) - if going on by facts is "being out to lunch" I'm not sure what else I need to say. (Their respective league play are matching Byfield's)
  4. Then I have Byfield 6-7 because I believe Stutzle has been developing rapidly in the last year, he has that late charge momentum the way KK had it, he has merits to go ahead of Byfield on current performance. Holtz is hard to ignore, I could have added him to point 3 as he performed better internationally, I dont think that will stand vs. Byfield long term. And then there is Askarov, well, this is one is a bit of unknown as to how to rank him but he's certainly in the group of 7. Maybe Byfield before Holtz, fair enough.
Then there is something else that needs to be addressed, because I find it absolutely ridiculus. Byfield is not Malkin. At the same age Malkin (17) was ahead of Lafreniere at 18. Ok can we stop this nonsense? I know he looks like Malkin, but Malkin was in another league of performance close to Ovechkin/Crosby.​

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
My fairly uneducated top 10. Now I know Byfield will go 2.. but I've never been afraid to rank differently.

1. Lafreniere
2. Stutzle
3. Byfield
4. Raymond
5. Askarov
6. Drysdale
7. Lundell
8. Holtz
9. Rossi
10. Holloway

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Are Byfield and Lafreniere the only ones expected to play in the nhl next season?

Byfield in the NHL? ahh no way, not one chance unless he has the biggest improvement ever seen from January to June and the drafting team is desperate to play him. If you cant play at the WJC you are not NHL ready. I get it, Byfield wont have anything to learn in juniors, he's the kind of guy that would need the AHL next year but is prevented to do so.

I don't think many players outside of Lafreniere are ready, to be honest. Raymond is playing against adults right now, so I would assume he would be the 2nd in readiness. But it is usually not the Swedish way, they usually stay one more year there.

Last edited:

Vijo Morganstein

Nov 29, 2019
Can someone tell me about Tyson Foerster? Purely statwatching here but he's outscoring Ryan Suzuki on the same team significantly as a 2002 born

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Can someone tell me about Tyson Foerster? Purely statwatching here but he's outscoring Ryan Suzuki on the same team significantly as a 2002 born

Good size and hands and offensive IQ. Plays a confident positional game and locates the puck quickly. For me, plays a more pro game than Suzuki who I can't stop seeing Ho Sang in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad