2020 Entry Draft Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Can you comment on his skating at all?

Decent for his size. Wouldn't classify it as a strength or weakness. Lehkonen is probably a comparable.

do you have an opinion on the 2 Oshawa players, Suni and Tullio?

Unfortunately I have only seen each of them play a couple times, so I won't profess to be a complete authority, but Suni sure has potential. Earlier in the year I saw him in a game where he struggled quite a bit, but you could see the raw tools and compete. I'd love to see a bit more bite and net front presence to his game. In my viewings, he was trying to force plays a bit and things were moving a bit fast for him. But any time his brain caught up, he looked like a project with potential.

Tullio seems to have a great engine, but I do wonder how well that'll translate to the pro game. He has some flash to his game as well, but in my limited viewings, he seems like the dime a dozen minor pro skill set. Not elite enough skill to be top-6 in the NHL and not strong enough to be a depth presence. Could prove me wrong though with his will and desire.

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Decent for his size. Wouldn't classify it as a strength or weakness. Lehkonen is probably a comparable.

Unfortunately I have only seen each of them play a couple times, so I won't profess to be a complete authority, but Suni sure has potential. Earlier in the year I saw him in a game where he struggled quite a bit, but you could see the raw tools and compete. I'd love to see a bit more bite and net front presence to his game. In my viewings, he was trying to force plays a bit and things were moving a bit fast for him. But any time his brain caught up, he looked like a project with potential.

Tullio seems to have a great engine, but I do wonder how well that'll translate to the pro game. He has some flash to his game as well, but in my limited viewings, he seems like the dime a dozen minor pro skill set. Not elite enough skill to be top-6 in the NHL and not strong enough to be a depth presence. Could prove me wrong though with his will and desire.

I only saw them once but felt the same, Suni clearly stood out to me as the better prospect but Tullio is putting up better numbers.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I only saw them once but felt the same, Suni clearly stood out to me as the better prospect but Tullio is putting up better numbers.

For sure, and that doesn't surprise me too much. Suni fits the exact profile of the kid that takes a bit of time to grow into their game while Tullio is the profile of the kid who found his game at 6.

Reactions: montreal

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Even if Montreal doesn't get the 1st pick overall, if they can get close enough and get a Byfield or, for once, maybe get the prospect who blossoms into a star. Maybe guys like Suzuki and Caufield can be quite the pair shortly, but a I mean a STAR. A Pastrnak, Rantanen, Gaudreau, Kucherov, Aho.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Even if Montreal doesn't get the 1st pick overall, if they can get close enough and get a Byfield or, for once, maybe get the prospect who blossoms into a star. Maybe guys like Suzuki and Caufield can be quite the pair shortly, but a I mean a STAR. A Pastrnak, Rantanen, Gaudreau, Kucherov, Aho.
Holtz is your guy then...;)

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Byfield in the NHL? ahh no way, not one chance unless he has the biggest improvement ever seen from January to June and the drafting team is desperate to play him. If you cant play at the WJC you are not NHL ready. I get it, Byfield wont have anything to learn in juniors, he's the kind of guy that would need the AHL next year but is prevented to do so.

I don't think many players outside of Lafreniere are ready, to be honest. Raymond is playing against adults right now, so I would assume he would be the 2nd in readiness. But it is usually not the Swedish way, they usually stay one more year there.
MacKinnon was very underutilized in his WJC and he turned out pretty good in his rookie NHL season. Byfield wasn’t given a ton of opportunity so it’s hard to really use that to judge NHL readiness.

Reactions: Fixxer

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
MacKinnon was very underutilized in his WJC and he turned out pretty good in his rookie NHL season. Byfield wasn’t given a ton of opportunity so it’s hard to really use that to judge NHL readiness.

Mackinnon underutilization as a 13th forward was nothing like the benching of Byfield who was given 2nd line duty (one guy got an opportunity, the other much less so, if you want to talk about the opportunity factor).

Mackinnon dominated his Hlinka, Byfield was bested by Perfetti and Lapierre.

I find it funny the length hockey fans go to justify the ranking of a player.

Last edited:

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Perhaps Montreal's pick, even if in the top 5, will end up being someone that isn't even on the radar for the top 10.

NHL Central Scouting 2018 mid-term (january) rankings had KK 9th among international skaters. So, not even including Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk, etc.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Perhaps Montreal's pick, even if in the top 5, will end up being someone that isn't even on the radar for the top 10.

NHL Central Scouting 2018 mid-term (january) rankings had KK 9th among international skaters. So, not even including Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk, etc.

KK was on our radar (fans) at this time in January, by January 15 he was in our top 5 (at least talking about me).

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
KK was on our radar (fans) at this time in January, by January 15 he was in our top 5 (at least talking about me).

well, he would have been an outlier at that point in time. I'm sure was on a few lists at that time, just not the reputed ones.

January Rankings:

IIS: 25th
Sportsnet: 19th
McKenzie: 19th
Button: 26th
Hockey Prospects: 16th
FC Hockey: 17th
NHL SC: 9th international

none close to the top 10.

Reactions: WinterLion

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
well, he would have been an outlier at that point in time. I'm sure was on a few lists at that time, just not the reputed ones.

January Rankings:

IIS: 25th
Sportsnet: 19th
McKenzie: 19th
Button: 26th
Hockey Prospects: 16th
FC Hockey: 17th
NHL SC: 9th international

none close to the top 10.

Keep in mind, those players don't exist every year and they would already be trending up at this point.

Stutzle is the closest you get this year, but he was already identified, he's just gaining momentum a lot like Nico Hishier did (its nearly always an European guy).

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
The only topic who know the importance of drafting and how their resetting is a nonsense for this organization,

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004

The ironic thing about your list there is that Rantanen was the highest selection there and he was picked tenth overall.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Why? We have the 7th now and have a chance of being in the top 5 worst until the end of the year
It all depends of what Bergevin does... Sharks just lost Couture for a couple of weeks, Kings are going to trade Toffoli at the deadline, Rags probably going to trade Kreider and the rest of the actual teams below us are worst than the Habs...

To make sure the Habs get an elite player, they need to make some moves like trading Petry and Tatar, right now we are drafting 7th, but we could end up drafting 8th-11th if a better team win a lottery spot, or if the Habs start to win more when Drouin Byron are back... I think we get a top player drafting 6-7, but after that there is a drop IMO and we could have to sit there praying someone drops, what is clearly not an ideal situation...

All eyes on MB, he needs to become seller and sooner he will move players, better it will be...

Last edited:
Reactions: atrud66 and Maitz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad