2020 Entry Draft Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Golden... interesting. to see you would put yourself out there in support of Lundell.... which is good.
For me, Stutzle is the type of player that gets you out of your seat...his upside is quite high...his skating is elite...is vision is wonderful ...
his puck protection and skill level is surpreme....competes hard....you can
tell he hates to lose.
I have Stutzle over Lundell too, but not by much, I think Lundell has underrated skills, but what impresses me alot is the strong 200 ft. work and elite IQ, he is a pure center while Stutzle might end up on the wing... I would be ecstatic if we end up drafting 1 of them...

Reactions: jaffy27

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Okay....how would you compare Lundell to Kotkinemi???....other than that they are both Finnish.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Okay....how would you compare Lundell to Kotkinemi???....other than that they are both Finnish.

I already commented on the matter saying they were both pretty similar in term of play style... They have good size, very high IQ, high compete, they are both strong playmakers first, but can hurt you with their shooting as well,.. Alot of similarities, but I would say Lundell has more jump to his game while KK might have the highest ultimate upside once he fills out, with his reach and instincts, but its close, very close, not sure who is going to be the best player of the 2 at this point... To me, it has the potential to be 1A - 1B type of situation...

Golden....do you have Stutzle ahead of Byfield??
I love Stutzle, he is an electrifying player, but Byfield has exceptional athletic and physical tools, that mix of size, skating, balance and skills are extremmely attractive since the ultimate upside is crazy... Will be hard to pass on at 2...

Edit: I suspect that some teams might still have Byfield #1 on their list even after the WJC, because of what he could become and that the center position is valued higher than the wing... Personally I think that Byfield is closer to Stutzle than Lafreniere, but I wouldnt be surprised if some teams still had Byfield first for the reasons mentioned above...

Last edited:
Reactions: Plekatorz

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
We could use an offensive defenseman...

Both Makar & Byram went 4th overall to Colorado. We'd have to pick top 5 for a chance at getting him.

Tonight's win moved us up to the 9th spot. I don't see us going lower than 6th. Drysdale, like Lafreniere, remains an extreme long shot.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Both Makar & Byram went 4th overall to Colorado. We'd have to pick top 5 for a chance at getting him.

Tonight's win moved us up to the 9th spot. I don't see us going lower than 6th. Drysdale, like Lafreniere, remains an extreme long shot.

Depending on when we get healthy, I could see us making a serious run at Florida and Philly, though almost certainly falling short. We were a top 10 team before all the injuries. And before the injuries we didn't have Scandella and Kovalchuk - nor the current versions of Suzuki and Poehling. (though I think Poehling still has a lot to show before he's in Claude's fully healthy lineup).

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Safe to say that Drysdale is a better prospect than Byram at the time of his draft?

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Depending on when we get healthy, I could see us making a serious run at Florida and Philly, though almost certainly falling short. We were a top 10 team before all the injuries. And before the injuries we didn't have Scandella and Kovalchuk - nor the current versions of Suzuki and Poehling. (though I think Poehling still has a lot to show before he's in Claude's fully healthy lineup).
I imagine in a week or two MB will throw in the towel and there’s no reason for either Philly or Florida to do so. They might move out some redundant pieces but they also might be looking to buy, if it makes long term sense.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I imagine in a week or two MB will throw in the towel and there’s no reason for either Philly or Florida to do so. They might move out some redundant pieces but they also might be looking to buy, if it makes long term sense.

What do you see MB doing when he throws in the towel?

Two years ago it only meant trading Joe Morrow and acquiring Mike Reilly and Kulak i think. He didn't trade Pacioretty or Shaw.

I don't see MB throwing in the towel. Only moved I see him making are ones that make us better next year - without sacrificing the future.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
I would love a Laf, Byfield, Stützle, Raymond, but a RHD puck moving offensive dman would be great too, he could replace Webs in the future. He'd be someone I'd consider as high as 4th OA.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
What do you see MB doing when he throws in the towel?

Two years ago it only meant trading Joe Morrow and acquiring Mike Reilly and Kulak i think. He didn't trade Pacioretty or Shaw.

I don't see MB throwing in the towel. Only moved I see him making are ones that make us better next year - without sacrificing the future.
Anyone who’s 25+ could be on the trade block. Price and Weber have made noise, I’m not sure they want to he here for the next couple of years. I’m glad we’ve got some good, young players on the team and we’ve let them play and develop with veteran leadership. Now is a good time to pull the plug on some of the vets.

Reactions: Frank JT

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Anyone who’s 25+ could be on the trade block. Price and Weber have made noise, I’m not sure they want to he here for the next couple of years. I’m glad we’ve got some good, young players on the team and we’ve let them play and develop with veteran leadership. Now is a good time to pull the plug on some of the vets.

I don't see MB moving anyone significant. Mb wants to be in the playoffs next year.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I don't see MB moving anyone significant. Mb wants to be in the playoffs next year.
If you want a good chance at drafting Top 5 you got to do what you gotta do. We need some elite talent. An extra 1st round pick (or two) will make for an exiting draft day.

Reactions: Rozz and NoQuinn

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
I would love a Laf, Byfield, Stützle, Raymond, but a RHD puck moving offensive dman would be great too, he could replace Webs in the future. He'd be someone I'd consider as high as 4th OA.
For the Habs if rank them...
Lafreniere
Byfeild
Drysdale
Then of course...Holtz.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'd also like to know what people think
Lundell doesn't have the skillset Jesperi has IMO. Jesperi has much superior shooting, stickhandling and playmaking skills. Lundells cap is pretty much at a good 2C imo. He's super smart and works hard, but he's not a high end talent, from what Ive seen.

Reactions: SOLR

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Safe to say that Drysdale is a better prospect than Byram at the time of his draft?
Not ready to say this. Theyre certainly different players. I had concern on Byram last year, he never really seemed to take his game to the next level, but then by december, he started to completely annihilate teams, so you at least know its in him.

If I had to chose, gun to my head, Im going with Drysdale, but Byram has his own strengths that Drysdale doesn't have.

Reactions: Lebowski

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Seriously, our biggest need is Drysdale. Let's draft him.

We need high impact d-men in our system.

BUT... we will most likely draft 8th to 13th overall so....

I would go with whoever they think is best. Out of our 10 prospects I'd say 2 are forwards and undersized, that's a very concerning problem.

This winning meaningless games thing will have to stop before we can get anywhere close to landing Drysdale, let alone anyone above him on the totem pole.

I think it's safe to say that unless we lose Price our only hope is getting lucky at the lottery or MB trading up. I don't see us making the playoffs and haven't all year (not that i'm watching so my opinion doesn't mean anything) but I never saw us getting a top 5 pick pre lottery either. I'd love to be wrong on the top 5 pick front but would be shocked if I was.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
I already commented on the matter saying they were both pretty similar in term of play style... They have good size, very high IQ, high compete, they are both strong playmakers first, but can hurt you with their shooting as well,.. Alot of similarities, but I would say Lundell has more jump to his game while KK might have the highest ultimate upside once he fills out with his reach and instincts, but its close, very close, not sure who is going to be the best player of the 2 at this point... To me, it has the potential to be 1A - 1B type of situation...

I love Stutzle, he is an electrifying player, but Byfield has exceptional athletic and physical tools, that mix of size, skating, balance and skills are extremmely attractive since the ultimate upside is crazy... Will be hard to pass on at 2...

Edit: I suspect that some teams might still have Byfield #1 on their list even after the WJC, because of what he could become and that the center position is valued higher than the wing... Personally I think that Byfield is closer to Stutzle than Lafreniere, but I wouldnt be surprised if some teams still had Byfield first for the reasons mentioned above...

Okay...we have similar views of both Byfield and Stutzle.... they are pretty close for the second pick overall....I would also give a slight edge to Byfield for his size and the fact he's a centreman.

For the Habs if rank them...
Lafreniere
Byfeild
Drysdale
Then of course...Holtz.

I have....
1. Lafrenière
2. Byfield
3. Stutzle
4. Raymond
5. Drysdale
6. Rossi