2020 Entry Draft Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I want more picks
Imagine adding 2 other first, we could end up drafting top 7 getting one of Laf, Byfield, Stutzle, Lundell, Drysdale, Raymond, Holloway while adding guys like Mercer and Peterka only in the first round... Then Ponomarev and another quality prospect early 2nd round, our future would be set for the next 10 yrs being a contender in 2-3 yrs from now...

Last edited:

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
The ironic thing about your list there is that Rantanen was the highest selection there and he was picked tenth overall.
There's nothing Ironic as the Habs are really not sure to be picking 1st overall, so I picked up star player who weren't selected 1st overall! Simple as that!

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
It all depends of what Bergevin does... Sharks just lost Couture for a couple of weeks, Kings are going to trade Toffoli at the deadline, Rags probably going to trade Kreider and the rest of the actual teams below us are worst than the Habs...

To make sure the Habs get an elite player, they need to make some moves like trading Petry and Tatar, right now we are drafting 7th, but we could end up drafting 8th-11th if a better team win a lottery spot, or if the Habs start to win more when Drouin Byron are back... I think we get a top player drafting 6-7, but after that there is a drop IMO and we could have to sit there praying someone drops, what is clearly not an ideal situation...

All eyes on MB, he needs to become seller and sooner he will move players, better it will be...
We are now at 6th, we have a good chance at a top 5 imo

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
You believe this isn’t a big draft??
I'm not 100% ready to get into an in depth analysis of this draft yet, but from my research and viewings so far, I'd say this draft has a very strong top 8-12 and only really has 1st round quality prospects until about 18-22. It gets very average after that. If anything past the top of the 1st round, it's actually weaker than most.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Currently, 6th OA. Guarantees us a top 9 pick, assuming all 3 lottery spots are given to teams behind us. Unlikely.

If we stay 6th, we may be in Drysdale territory, although I actually think the Kings take him if they get a chance. Anaheim too.

well, he would have been an outlier at that point in time. I'm sure was on a few lists at that time, just not the reputed ones.

January Rankings:

IIS: 25th
Sportsnet: 19th
McKenzie: 19th
Button: 26th
Hockey Prospects: 16th
FC Hockey: 17th
NHL SC: 9th international

none close to the top 10.

He was a 2nd half riser. As was Barrett Hayton, and Ty Dellandrea happens a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
6th overall is in 2 edges sword territory: good chance to win top three, good chance to fall back 2. We may go from Lafrenière to Halloway which ain't bad but hard on the heart.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I don’t think it happens a lot, where a player jumps from 20 ish (post WJC) to among the elite (top 3).

Some 1st overall picks like Kane werent even in the top 30 of the ISS in october of their D years. Both big risers and big fallers are a yearly thing and can happen at various points of the draft year.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Some 1st overall picks like Kane werent even in the top 30 of the ISS in october of their D years. Both big risers and big fallers are a yearly thing and can happen at various points of the draft year.

my point is that the top of the lists are pretty set after the WJC, since it's an opportunity to showcase their talent.
i realize the lists are vastly different in October.

Kane was 4th among NA skaters in January.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
my point is that the top of the lists are pretty set after the WJC, since it's an opportunity to showcase their talent.
i realize the lists are vastly different in October.

Theyre not though. None of Pettersson, Makar or Heiskanen were even top 10 in Bobs January mid season rankings. Those are no. 3-5 in 2017 if you recall. Significant rises are a common thing, even post WJC.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
What Janne Niinima said.

Its good in the top 6-7-8 but after that its 2013 bad.

That's quite terrifying considering where we sit, and the fact we are about to have players returning from injury.

I could easily see us finishing ~9 or 10, especially if Price picks it up down the stretch as he's been known to do.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Theyre not though. None of Pettersson, Makar or Heiskanen were even top 10 in Bobs January mid season rankings. Those are no. 3-5 in 2017 if you recall. Significant rises are a common thing, even post WJC.

No, not top 10, just 11, 12, 13. :laugh:

... and other lists had them higher (Pettersson #2 intl skater at mid-term, NHL SC)

And 2/3 of top 3 were unchanged. Bobby Mac usually as 2/3 locked down by mid-term, with the 3rd not far off.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That's quite terrifying considering where we sit, and the fact we are about to have players returning from injury.

I could easily see us finishing ~9 or 10, especially if Price picks it up down the stretch as he's been known to do.
In the 9-10-11 range there is most likely going to have a good player or two, but not something the Habs needs... Lundell, Holloway type, compared to Drysdale, Stutzle or Raymond.

Reactions: Locks

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Hopefully we can get Laf, but anybody in that top 10 IMO is worth it. I would try to add another 1st for either Mercer or Poirier and a 1st for next year (by trading Petry and Tatar). That's wishful thinking though, Bergevin will never trade those two. It's a shame because Tatar's having a terrific year and he could fetch a huge haul, especially since he has another contract year (same for Petry).

Reactions: CoopersFalls

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hopefully we can get Laf, but anybody in that top 10 IMO is worth it. I would try to add another 1st for either Mercer or Poirier and a 1st for next year (by trading Petry and Tatar). That's wishful thinking though, Bergevin will never trade those two. It's a shame because Tatar's having a terrific year and he could fetch a huge haul, especially since he has another contract year (same for Petry).
Dont need more quantity. This team needs quality. Try to move up, or acquire another top 10 first, or even another prospect like Suzuki by trade.

Reactions: Vachon23

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Dont need more quantity. This team needs quality. Try to move up, or acquire another top 10 first, or even another prospect like Suzuki by trade.
That could be a good move too. I think we could get a really good prospect and a late 1st for Tatar, teams might be willing to pay a lot for him with the way his season is going on a bad team (plus the fact that he has another year at 5.3M).

Reactions: atrud66
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad