2020 Entry Draft Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
So who are the best likely 2nd-round players for us to draft with our 3 picks if we do keep them all?

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
So who are the best likely 2nd-round players for us to draft with our 3 picks if we do keep them all?
I dont have much knowledge of the depth of this draft since I try to focuss on the top ranked kids, but if Ponomarev is there early 2nd, its a no brainer for me, kid is really skilled...

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
With 3 2nd rounders will be interesting to see what kind of kids Montreal finds.

My bet is some kids out of the SEL.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
Bergevin can make the push he wants for Laf, but it's not going to happen. I can see him trying to move up a couple of spots, depending who's available.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
GMs don't trade Gretzky away either.. wait.

Lol yeah, same exact situation in the same era.

A team will surely trade the most valuable asset in today's NHL for quantity. Because what the Habs have to offer is nothing more than quantity. Keep dreaming, doesn't cost much.

Reactions: DAChampion

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Lol yeah, same exact situation in the same era.

A team will surely trade the most valuable asset in today's NHL for quantity. Because what the Habs have to offer is nothing more than quantity. Keep dreaming, doesn't cost much.

When did I say that's all we needed to do to get the 1st pick? Holy hyperbole man!

Suzuki, Caufield, KK, Romanov and our 1st (which could be lottery) for Lafreniere wouldn't do it for you?

Im Marc Bergevin

Feb 15, 2020
When did I say that's all we needed to do to get the 1st pick? Holy hyperbole man!

Suzuki, Caufield, KK, Romanov and our 1st (which could be lottery) for Lafreniere wouldn't do it for you?
That's way too Much for the first overall, LAFRENIÈRE IS NOT MCDAVID!, I would offer ,2020 first, 2020 second 2021 first, Kotkaniemi, Brook... I Tell to the team, take it or leave it, if they refuse I will gladly Pick one of the Top 9 players with our Pick!

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
That's way too Much for the first overall, LAFRENIÈRE IS NOT MCDAVID!, I would offer ,2020 first, 2020 second 2021 first, Kotkaniemi, Brook... I Tell to the team, take it or leave it, if they refuse I will gladly Pick one of the Top 9 players with our Pick!

I wouldn't have offered what I said. It was mostly to respond to his "we can only offer quantity because we don't have quality" comment and the fact that he was unreachable. You proved my point and I agree with you.

Last edited:

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
I wouldn't have offered what I said. It was mostly to respond to his "we can only offer quantity because we don't have quality" comment and the fact that he was unreachable. You proved my point and I agree with you.

To me Suzuki, KK, Romanov, Caufield are all quantity, not quality as they are prospects and there's nothing set with them. A lot of young promising players have had their best season as a rookie, so if I'm a GM, I do not gamble with the kind of young players the Habs have. Not saying they are not good, but they are no Crosby/McDavid. I know Lafrenière is not Crosby/McDavid but he's the kind of player who really has a shot at being a franchise player.

If I'm a GM, I nothing short than a Pettersson, Svechnikov or other players like that in exchange of my 1OA. Very young players who have proven to have an impact while being cheap. Suzuki is the only one who could fit that definition but he would need to play like a 1C in his 2nd season. Yeah, if the Habs end up drafting 2nd, that's a good piece, but look at historical picks #2/#3 and you will see that most of them do not reach their ceiling.

That's why 1OA don't get traded. GMs don't want to part out with their young studs who play like 1OA (i.e. Pettersson and company) nor they want to part out with the pick that gives them the best opportunity to draft their future franchise player for quantity.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
To me Suzuki, KK, Romanov, Caufield are all quantity, not quality as they are prospects and there's nothing set with them. A lot of young promising players have had their best season as a rookie, so if I'm a GM, I do not gamble with the kind of young players the Habs have. Not saying they are not good, but they are no Crosby/McDavid. I know Lafrenière is not Crosby/McDavid but he's the kind of player who really has a shot at being a franchise player.

Well that's your personnal opinion. Some wouldn't qualify those guys as quantity. Wouldn't suprise me if most GM would want top prospects in Caufield, KK and Romanov if they want to make the deal.

If I'm a GM, I nothing short than a Pettersson, Svechnikov or other players like that in exchange of my 1OA. Very young players who have proven to have an impact while being cheap. Suzuki is the only one who could fit that definition but he would need to play like a 1C in his 2nd season. Yeah, if the Habs end up drafting 2nd, that's a good piece, but look at historical picks #2/#3 and you will see that most of them do not reach their ceiling.

That's why 1OA don't get traded. GMs don't want to part out with their young studs who play like 1OA (i.e. Pettersson and company) nor they want to part out with the pick that gives them the best opportunity to draft their future franchise player for quantity.

Those guys (Pettersson and Svechnikov) are already franchise players and would be worth the #1 pick by themselves. Actually, because they are already proven, the team with the pick would probably have to add. If the GM wants a player that will have an immediate impact, we can talk about Gallagher, Domi, Drouin, Price (retain salary). Pettersson was a 5th overall pick, not even a 2nd or 3rd. We have a strong top 10 this year, there is a chance that we have a player of that caliber in the draft, you never know.

As for the 2nd and 3rd overall, here is the list from 2008-2016:

2016: Laine, Dubois
2015: Eichel, Strome
2014: S. Reinhart, Draisaitl
2013: Barkov, Drouin
2012: Murray, Galchenyuk (worst draft of the decade)
2011: Landeskog, Huberdeau
2010: Seguin, Gubranson
2009: Hedman, Duchene
2008: Doughty, Bogosian

There's pretty much 1 or 2 elite player for every year (but 2012, which absolutely sucked). I would absolutely not say that most of them don't reach their ceiling.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
Well that's your personnal opinion. Some wouldn't qualify those guys as quantity. Wouldn't suprise me if most GM would want top prospects in Caufield, KK and Romanov if they want to make the deal.

Those guys (Pettersson and Svechnikov) are already franchise players and would be worth the #1 pick by themselves. Actually, because they are already proven, the team with the pick would probably have to add. If the GM wants a player that will have an immediate impact, we can talk about Gallagher, Domi, Drouin, Price (retain salary). Pettersson was a 5th overall pick, not even a 2nd or 3rd. We have a strong top 10 this year, there is a chance that we have a player of that caliber in the draft, you never know.

As for the 2nd and 3rd overall, here is the list from 2008-2016:

2016: Laine, Dubois
2015: Eichel, Strome
2014: S. Reinhart, Draisaitl
2013: Barkov, Drouin
2012: Murray, Galchenyuk (worst draft of the decade)
2011: Landeskog, Huberdeau
2010: Seguin, Gubranson
2009: Hedman, Duchene
2008: Doughty, Bogosian

There's pretty much 1 or 2 elite player for every year (but 2012, which absolutely sucked). I would absolutely not say that most of them don't reach their ceiling.

Yes that's my opinion but I'm pretty certain the 1OA would have been traded more than once in the recent years if GMs would be willing to trade it for prospects like KK, Caufield and Romanov.

I agree that players like Pettersson and Svechnikov are already franchise player and that's my point. They are not moving even for the 1st pick.

I agree too that #2 and #3 picks can land you franchise players but the odds drop off quickly from #1 to #2/#3. My point is that prospects, as much as we like them (And I do LOVE them, trust me), are only hope until they prove to be franchise players. So when you have the 1OA, you stick to it because with the #2/#3 you have much more chances to hit a Drouin than a Barkov or a Mackinnon than with the 1st.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Yes that's my opinion but I'm pretty certain the 1OA would have been traded more than once in the recent years if GMs would be willing to trade it for prospects like KK, Caufield and Romanov.

I agree that players like Pettersson and Svechnikov are already franchise player and that's my point. They are not moving even for the 1st pick.

I agree too that #2 and #3 picks can land you franchise players but the odds drop off quickly from #1 to #2/#3. My point is that prospects, as much as we like them (And I do LOVE them, trust me), are only hope until they prove to be franchise players. So when you have the 1OA, you stick to it because with the #2/#3 you have much more chances to hit a Drouin than a Barkov or a Mackinnon than with the 1st.

I get what you are saying. It is true that nothing is set in stones when it comes to prospects. What is different here is the fact that the draft is in Montreal and that the projected 1st overall is a Quebecer. I think the reason why the #1 pick never gets traded is because a GM will never want to overpay in a trade. To get a 1OA, I think a GM needs to overpay big time and I think Bergevin will because of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad