2020 Draft - 2nd Pick: Carter Savoie

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I hate this idea with most skilled players. If they have the skill then ffs play them with top 6 players. You don't take a sniper and then play him with the likes of Devin Shore and Zach Kassian.

Hopefully you see these types are gpne (I could see Shore be 12th forward).
Nexr season, a bottom 6 line is Probably Nuge MacLeod Savoie/Holloway. Nothing to shrug at.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
That lineup would miss the playoffs. 3 players that have never played pro hockey on your top 2 lines is a recipe for disaster.
It really wasn't a serious post considering 4 in top 9 would be rookies.. more of a dig on the Yama, Foegele,McLeod etc we have been icing in top 6.

I don't see much of a dropoff between Petrov/Savoie and Yama/Foegele.. Pulju and McLeod are also looking like they may never beat a goalie again ..

These kids are sniping away in lower leagues

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
This shows' a fundamental lack of appreciation as to how good you have to be to be an NHL'r.
The fact that you have Savoie as a NHL'r at all, never mind next year, never mind a 1st liner, is mind boggling. His chances are not particularly high.
We understand that there is a huge bump up from juniors but all signs are pointing up so far for this kid so let me be hopeful.
Petrov looked just as good as Bourgault at training camp and Savoie is trending just as well as both.

Gene Carr

Jan 16, 2022
Care to elaborate instead of just coming to another teams board to shit on one of their prospects? Yes it is hard to make the NHL but what in your eyes keeps this player from becoming a NHLer?
Im not on another teams board. Im an Oiler fan (I loved Carrs mane when I was a kid).
Cause its hard. Real hard, to become an NHL'r. And the later you are drafted (he was a 4th rounder) statistically it becomes exponentially less & less likely.
And his skating is a pretty big impediment.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Im not on another teams board. Im an Oiler fan.
Cause its hard. Real hard, to become an NHL'r. And numerically, the later you are drafted statitically it becomes less & less likely.
And his skating is a very big impediment

I have heard his skating is quite bad numerous times, and hints that his physical attributes overall are less than outstanding. The physical attributes are kind of hard to guess at in Twitter game clips, but the skating hasn't looked that bad from what I have seen. Certainly not a strength or anything, but nothing terrible either. Is there anybody on here that actually watches his full games that can comment on his skating ability?

The reality is that with his shot, which is already NHL ready IMO, he could carve out a career by doing the hardest thing in hockey (scoring goals). But obviously having a more well-rounded game and having other aspects to his play, would be very beneficial.

Reactions: oilers'72

Gene Carr

Jan 16, 2022
We understand that there is a huge bump up from juniors but all signs are pointing up so far for this kid so let me be hopeful.
Petrov looked just as good as Bourgault at training camp and Savoie is trending just as well as both.
Yup, hes been good. Very good. Hes trending well and certainly not going backwards.

Gene Carr

Jan 16, 2022
I have heard his skating is quite bad numerous times, and hints that his physical attributes overall are less than outstanding. The physical attributes are kind of hard to guess at in Twitter game clips, but the skating hasn't looked that bad from what I have seen. Certainly not a strength or anything, but nothing terrible either. Is there anybody on here that actually watches his full games that can comment on his skating ability?

The reality is that with his shot, which is already NHL ready IMO, he could carve out a career by doing the hardest thing in hockey (scoring goals). But obviously having a more well-rounded game and having other aspects to his play, would be very beneficial.
Im not arguing on this, but Ill use Schremp as an example. The number of times I heard his skating wasn't an issue was countless. It actually looked ok in Juniors. Even in the American league. But I remember the preseason one year. Schremp looked really good early on. But as the preseason went on & on (it was longer in those day) as he was playing against more & more NHL'rs, he looked slower , and slower , and slower. By the time the 2nd last preseason game came along he literally looked like he was skating in slush.
The guys who are not good skaters in the NHL, unless they are big, are few and far between.
Look at a guy like Perlini. He has crazy physical skills. And he can barely play in the NHL.
Its tough.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Im not arguing on this, but Ill use Schremp as an example. The number of times I heard his skating wasn't an issue was countless. It actually looked ok in Juniors. Even in the American league. But I remember the preseason one year. Schremp looked really good early on. But as the preseason went on & on (it was longer in those day) as he was playing against more & more NHL'rs, he looked slower , and slower , and slower. By the time the 2nd last preseason game came along he literally looked like he was skating in slush.
The guys who are not good skaters in the NHL, unless they are big, are few and far between.
Look at a guy like Perlini. He has crazy physical skills. And he can barely play in the NHL.
Its tough.

Yeah for sure, skating is a pre-requisite, and looking "okay" in the non-pro leagues usually means that you will be quite slow in the NHL. I just haven't seen enough of Savoie playing to have an opinion one way or the other on his skating.

Perlini isn't a terrible example actually. I would argue that his shot, while good, isn't as lethal as Savoie's is, but then again, Perlini is also significantly bigger than Savoie. Perlini is somewhat of a strange case actually. He looked really good as a 20 year old in the AHL (over a PPG), had 2 good early seasons in the NHL and then kind of fell of the map. Not sure exactly what happened, or if there were signs of the struggles he would have in those first 2 seasons, but based on stats alone, you would have thought he was going to be a NHL mainstay for years and years. Like you said, its a tough league.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Savoie is exactly what you want in a mid-draft pick and delivering great production. Shot is very good. I want to see him in pro against better goaltending and heavier, more aggressive D after college competition. How will his game look with less time and space and bigger bodies. Love to see him filling the nets now at a significant rate. Lots to like with this kid's raw package.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yeah for sure, skating is a pre-requisite, and looking "okay" in the non-pro leagues usually means that you will be quite slow in the NHL. I just haven't seen enough of Savoie playing to have an opinion one way or the other on his skating.

Perlini isn't a terrible example actually. I would argue that his shot, while good, isn't as lethal as Savoie's is, but then again, Perlini is also significantly bigger than Savoie. Perlini is somewhat of a strange case actually. He looked really good as a 20 year old in the AHL (over a PPG), had 2 good early seasons in the NHL and then kind of fell of the map. Not sure exactly what happened, or if there were signs of the struggles he would have in those first 2 seasons, but based on stats alone, you would have thought he was going to be a NHL mainstay for years and years. Like you said, its a tough league.
I think that, besides skating, mental toughness and competitiveness are right there for surviving in the league. And from what I heard about Perlini, these are areas that may be lacking and it shows in the lack of consistency in his game.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com

Sounds a bit like Perlini

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
We fans always overrate the "ready-ness" of prospects, fitting them in as their fullfilled potential imideatly. How many Benson in top 6 did posters put in the offseason? Today its close to unthinkable. (Even if he can be a 6th forward in the end I belive - but there is a long road to it).

I would stretch putying Holloway in a top 9ntole, and Petrov or Savoie on a 4th line. Then evaluate if they force me to put them in top 6. I prefer 10-15 games in AHL first.

I think Kane may stay, if he found stability and matures, but prob. not.
Holloway will exceed to the team, and one trade from now until next season with yamamoto I think will happen.

I could guess
Hyman McDavid Kane/trade
Nuge Draisaitl Puljujärvi
Fogele MacLeod Holloway
Benson Shore Ryan

Defence more crucial
I think Barrie retained gets traded for eirher a goalie or another D.
Then a D will be signed offseason.

You don't put offensive kids on a primary checking line . It doesn't work and you can ruin them . Put them into roles that got them to the NHL . Build their confidence then get them to work on improving in other areas .

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
You don't put offensive kids on a primary checking line . It doesn't work and you can ruin them . Put them into roles that got them to the NHL . Build their confidence then get them to work on improving in other areas .

It sounds like AHL is the best roite here to be honest.

Reactions: oilers'72

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Proper development timeline.
BananaInfographic_NoIntro.jpg

Personally I don't understand the appeal.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
It really wasn't a serious post considering 4 in top 9 would be rookies.. more of a dig on the Yama, Foegele,McLeod etc we have been icing in top 6.

I don't see much of a dropoff between Petrov/Savoie and Yama/Foegele.. Pulju and McLeod are also looking like they may never beat a goalie again ..

These kids are sniping away in lower leagues

yeah I think that crevice is a lot deeper than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad