2020 Draft - 2nd Pick: Carter Savoie

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I'm great at picking games to watch!!

Savoie and the Pios lose 5-1. Savoie held off the scoresheet for the first time this year. Stream died with 4 minutes left, so I missed the end.

I have a few notes on his game. I watched him a ton last year, but this was my first viewing this year. Denver looked sluggish, BC definitely outworked them. Denver has some serious talent, just didn't shine through tonight.

As for Savoie, his work rate and positional awareness defensively weren’t great tonight, but he had some moments offensively. He is such a quick strike player. You don’t notice him, then in an instant he makes a high end pass or rips a shot. Passing is awesome. His shot gets all the attention, he is an elite shooter, but the passing is right up there. He had some sweet dishes tonight. The IQ offensively is dynamic. He certainly isn't a driver, he needs to play with other high end, high IQ players to be effective.

His footspeed held him back on multiple occasions tonight, the obvious downside to his game. He doesn't have the ability to separate and it likely won’t ever be there. Lost some races and puck battles due to skating. Overall a quiet night for Savoie, despite some fun offensive sequences.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I'm great at picking games to watch!!

Savoie and the Pios lose 5-1. Savoie held off the scoresheet for the first time this year. Stream died with 4 minutes left, so I missed the end.

I have a few notes on his game. I watched him a ton last year, but this was my first viewing this year. Denver looked sluggish, BC definitely outworked them. Denver has some serious talent, just didn't shine through tonight.

As for Savoie, his work rate and positional awareness defensively weren’t great tonight, but he had some moments offensively. He is such a quick strike player. You don’t notice him, then in an instant he makes a high end pass or rips a shot. Passing is awesome. His shot gets all the attention, he is an elite shooter, but the passing is right up there. He had some sweet dishes tonight. The IQ offensively is dynamic. He certainly isn't a driver, he needs to play with other high end, high IQ players to be effective.

His footspeed held him back on multiple occasions tonight, the obvious downside to his game. He doesn't have the ability to separate and it likely won’t ever be there. Lost some races and puck battles due to skating. Overall a quiet night for Savoie, despite some fun offensive sequences.
I watched too and I share your assessment, didn’t notice him much other than the few times he had the puck and needs to be more engaged defensively. Pioneers as a team looked sluggish though.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
All this kid does is score goals.

Savoie is:
2nd in NCAA Division 1 hockey in points/game among players with 10+ games
2nd in NCAA Division 1 hockey in goals
6th in NCAA Division 1 hockey in points
4th in NCAA Division 1 hockey in PP goals

Stat line after 10 games: 10-7-17

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
His boots are going to be a pretty significant issue for him. Time will tell if he can improve enough on that

Yeah, it is a concern for certain. I guess the counter-argument is the classic "you can't teach that kind of shot, but you can improve your skating". I don't 100% buy that, as people can improve all aspects of their game to varying degrees, but I would argue it tends to hold up "mostly well". The issue I see for him is what else does he bring to the game? I don't watch his games, so this is a question, not an indictment, I honestly don't know. Maybe he is a demon on the backcheck, or really good in the corners. My point is that he will have to round out his game in the pros, because he is unlikely to see #1 PP usage with the Oilers if he ever makes it to the NHL. Hell, he might not even see #1 PP with the Condors.

This is a concern for another day though really. All he can do is succeed in the league he is in, and he's killing it in the NCAA right now, so not much more we can ask for. Next year, assuming he goes pro, will be the time to worry about the above.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think he will be a trade bait for us down the road. Should fetch a nice player from the team that drafts his brother next year.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
I think he will be a trade bait for us down the road. Should fetch a nice player from the team that drafts his brother next year.
... who is being offered in this hypothetical trade? If it's Kaprizov, then giddy up. But you don't just trade away super skilled prospects you're developing who can step in at an entry level discount to provide secondary scoring. I think Holland knows something about that during his time in Detroit. If he isn't providing the secondary scoring we need, than I doubt he's bringing back a player of substance in the first place. True "hockey" deals are hard to come by for a reason.

Reactions: Aerrol

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
... who is being offered in this hypothetical trade? If it's Kaprizov, then giddy up. But you don't just trade away super skilled prospects you're developing who can step in at an entry level discount to provide secondary scoring. I think Holland knows something about that during his time in Detroit. If he isn't providing the secondary scoring we need, than I doubt he's bringing back a player of substance in the first place. True "hockey" deals are hard to come by for a reason.
It really depends on our needs (assuming we are a contender) and who drafts his brother. Value should be close to what a mid first would fetch with the idea being that Savoie brothers would form 2/3rds of the top line/2nd line for that franchise long term ..

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
High end talent on entry level contacts and the recycling of said prospects through the draft will be pivotal in keeping the contending window open.

You will always have a formidable top six as long as you run Leon and McDavid down the middle, and a pretty good top four with Nurse, Bouchard, and Broberg.

You fill out the roster with players such as Lavoie, Samurai, Savoie, Bourgault making 925k and in the long run that might even be better than getting Kaprizov in the long-run.

Think of it as a pump and dump stock scheme, draft a prospect, play them with the dynamic duo, get 60+ points out of them, and trade them when they’re due for a payday for other prospects that can do the same. If they become core pieces or will take a deal, sign them.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
High end talent on entry level contacts and the recycling of said prospects through the draft will be pivotal in keeping the contending window open.

You will always have a formidable top six as long as you run Leon and McDavid down the middle, and a pretty good top four with Nurse, Bouchard, and Broberg.

You fill out the roster with players such as Lavoie, Samurai, Savoie, Bourgault making 925k and in the long run that might even be better than getting Kaprizov in the long-run.

Think of it as a pump and dump stock scheme, draft a prospect, play them with the dynamic duo, get 60+ points out of them, and trade them when they’re due for a payday for other prospects that can do the same. If they become core pieces or will take a deal, sign them.
Seems like the old Pens model. Worked out well for them.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Seems like the old Pens model. Worked out well for them.

Lol my exact thought. This has been the Pens model the entire Geno Sid era. They have had a decade of nothing picks turning into top 6 wingers now. Hope we can do the same.

Reactions: GOilers88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad