2020 Draft - 2nd Pick: Carter Savoie

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Maybe hammering out bonuses?

It's a bit simpler with first-rounders, but maybe they're just figuring out the bonuses for a well-producing late-rounder?

Fair point, that could get pretty complicated. Probably resolved soon. I would be shocked if he wanted to go back another year unless he wanted to finish his degree?

Reactions: Senor Catface

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
This is interesting, even though it’s Matheson. Holland says, three days ago, that he hasn’t even talked to him yet, sounds like there could be some resolution this week though.

Also interesting that Benning is going back? I think that would make it hard for Savoie to leave, given the connections they’ve had since minor hockey pretty much.

I said this a few months ago, outside of Holloway, Savoie is the prospect I think that could provide the Oilers with the most value.

You unfortunately always carry a risk drafting College kids, which is insane to me hasn’t been closed, but he would have 2 seasons left right?

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018
This is interesting, even though it’s Matheson. Holland says, three days ago, that he hasn’t even talked to him yet, sounds like there could be some resolution this week though.

Also interesting that Benning is going back? I think that would make it hard for Savoie to leave, given the connections they’ve had since minor hockey pretty much.

I said this a few months ago, outside of Holloway, Savoie is the prospect I think that could provide the Oilers with the most value.

You unfortunately always carry a risk drafting College kids, which is insane to me hasn’t been closed, but he would have 2 seasons left right?
I dunno. Kurt Leavins kind of alluded that Carter wasn't smart or interested enough to remain in school.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Why isn’t he signed yet? Condors could have used him this weekend with a depleted lineup. They lost yesterday to Abbotsford and play them again.

If partying instead of becoming a pro is a higher priority that is somewhat concerning. Celebrating has been cited in the media as the reason previously, who knows if it is the truth or not to be clear. However, if an alcohol binge is the reason why that’s not great. Hopefully that’s not the case.

This makes zero sense why he isn’t signed.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Why isn’t he signed yet? Condors could have used him this weekend with a depleted lineup. They lost yesterday to Abbotsford and play them again.

If partying instead of becoming a pro is a higher priority that is somewhat concerning. Celebrating has been cited in the media as the reason previously, who knows if it is the truth or not to be clear. However, if an alcohol binge is the reason why that’s not great. Hopefully that’s not the case.

Perhaps he still has exams? Sounds as if he doesn't particularly care for the academic aspect of college, but he still has 2 years in the bank if he ever wants to complete a degree. That's about the only reason I can think of.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
1650220715911.png

Based on when "next week" is, that means serious talks would start right away.

If that quote was from the date of publication, of course.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022

He could actually want to go back, or at least have some strong voices in his camp advising him to consider it. Three years is not outrageous for a guy with his pedigree, and even if he doesn’t like school, it will be a lot easier to complete one year of college later on in life versus two should his pro career not work out. Life is more than just hockey after all.

From a cap perspective it also helps us stagger our ELCs some with the clock already ticking on Petrov and Bourgault. I’d be totally fine with Savoie waiting a year to make the jump, and in fact have said before it’s probably best for his development. There are still things he can improve on at that level while being “the guy” at Denver next season.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
People aren’t actually worried about him signing right? I know we like to overreact to things, but he’s a local with no reason to go back to school. It’ll come soon enough
It's a bit surprising that he hasn't signed already with the rumors that he's not big on the academic side of college and that he was rumored to be turning pro.

North

Jun 25, 2009
It's a bit surprising that he hasn't signed already with the rumors that he's not big on the academic side of college and that he was rumored to be turning pro.

On the plus side he hasn’t announced he’s going back either.

It seems the delay is because Holland has given him some time since they won.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Is anyone talking about that Russian kid? Anyone actually watch him play? His highlights are like 80% PP points, but his production is up there with some of the successful Russians that have come over in recent years. Could really set this team up for success if they added a 60+ point forward for free.

AvOiL

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2008
Calgary, AB
Any idea why he has only signed an ATO with the Condors and not a professional contract with the Oilers? Isn't it usually both?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Any idea why he has only signed an ATO with the Condors and not a professional contract with the Oilers? Isn't it usually both?

Could be that they haven’t announced the contract with the Oilers yet. Otherwise, wonder if it means he could go back for another year?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Oilers twitter now chime in, but not with a signing with the organization, just parroting the Condor's ATO.

Woohoo. Get down there immediately young man, the Condors lost both games this weekend. With all the injuries he should get lots of playing time.

This completely makes sense, then have an ELC to kick in for 2022-23 season.

Fantastic news.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad