Prospect Info: 2020-21 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Graves isn't going to be benched 8 games into a 10m dollar deal. Right or wrong, that contract is going to give him a fair amount of leash before Timmins takes his spot.

That's why the 3-year contract made no sense at the time. That should've went to arbitration, and kept to a 1-year deal, two at most.

Matt Roberts

May 26, 2019
That's why the 3-year contract made no sense at the time. That should've went to arbitration, and kept to a 1-year deal, two at most.
At the time, I do think that was motivated in part by the expansion draft. The organization viewed it as a one year deal and he'd be the sacrificial lamb. He just hasn't held up his end of the deal in the early part of the season.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site

Remember you have to expose one defenseman and 2 forwards under contract next season. Who fits the bill ? For sure you have Graves

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Remember you have to expose one defenseman and 2 forwards under contract next season. Who fits the bill ? For sure you have Graves

Yeah without a doubt it's Graves. Even if you get last years Graves, he's not a top-4 on this team. Toews, Girard, Makar, and Byram are unquestionably the future of the top-4, and ideally you'd like to have your bottom pair making less than $2mil each. The silver lining is that when Graves' contract expires, it's Bowen's contract expiry too.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
A one year deal would have left us without a Dman to expose for Seattle (unless EJ waives but that's no guarantee).

A two year deal walked Graves straight to UFA.

So they went for 3 years to try to maximise value.

That said, it probably would have been better to sign him at $2.5-2.75m x 2 years as most on here would have liked.

Matt Roberts

May 26, 2019
A one year deal would have left us without a Dman to expose for Seattle (unless EJ waives but that's no guarantee).

That said, it probably would have been better to sign him at $2.5-2.75m x 2 years as most on here would have liked.
And Graves knew his position. If he was signing as Kraken bait, he was going to make the Avs pay up for that extra year.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Graves signing a 3 year deal improves his trade marketability. Being overpaid by $1M per can easily be retained or exposed to SEA. Keeping the deal short will limit his value and would likely lose him to UFA.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Love the Sampo

Somewhat unrelated: Sampo is part of Finnish mythology, you should google it by searching for "Kalevala"! Sampo is a machine that produces unlimited amounts of gold, grain or salt.

Don Rosa actually wrote a story in Donald Duck about that mythology and the name of the story was "Sammon Salaisuus", which translates to "Secret of Sampo" (real English name was "The Quest for Kalevala"). One of the best Donald Duck stories there is!

Sammon-puolustus.jpg

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I have a hard time with it too, considering how Byram has transitioned to the NHL.

Additionally, he has Beaucage ranked quite highly. Interesting to see him gaining steam.
I’m curious to see how Beaucage does in Victoriaville. I’m wondering is he one of those guys who has succeeded from being THE guy in a bad team or if he can contribute just as much with a good supporting cast.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I have a hard time with it too, considering how Byram has transitioned to the NHL.

Additionally, he has Beaucage ranked quite highly. Interesting to see him gaining steam.

Well, to be fair, I saw some random person doing a YouTube video on the top 20 nhl prospects. He had Byram and Newhook at 11 and 12 (or something like that) and I think he had Newhook one spot ahead.

I think we can be honest that Byrams stock dropped a little for his last year in Vancouver. But I think we can all kind of admit that it’s because he was unchallenged and possibly bored.

Any perception that he had turned into a pumpkin and isn’t actually as good as previously thought was dead wrong.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Well, to be fair, I saw some random person doing a YouTube video on the top 20 nhl prospects. He had Byram and Newhook at 11 and 12 (or something like that) and I think he had Newhook one spot ahead.

I think we can be honest that Byrams stock dropped a little for his last year in Vancouver. But I think we can all kind of admit that it’s because he was unchallenged and possibly bored.

Any perception that he had turned into a pumpkin and isn’t actually as good as previously thought was dead wrong.
His stock dropped because people didn't watch and just went stat watching.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

A lot of people just forget about prospects that play in the CHL. If they’re not setting records in the league, then their stock is ‘dropping’.

Dylan Cozens didn’t really get any real respect until the World Juniors either.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
His stock dropped because people didn't watch and just went stat watching.
Exactly. For some reason even before he was drafted people didn’t get it. Byram also was on an incredible roll in February and March before the league shut down that people seem to forget about too.

Wheeler doesn’t knock Byram at all, it’s about really liking Newhook. So I get that and it’s cool people are high on Newhook but his great play was now a year ago and no guarantee he gets the red carpet to immediate NHL impact usage that so many people just assume I don’t see the justification for it.

Wheeler also doesn’t seem to know how to evaluate skating. If you think Byram is just decent but don’t see road block type deficiencies in Timmins and Beaucage...

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Beaucage is not some great prospect. Dude just can't skate at a professional level. You can shoot the pick as hard as you want, but if you can't skate you won't make it. He's like a trailer trash Brett Hull with even worse skating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille