Prospect Info: 2020-21 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Just in time for this news.

Curious to see what Newhook does. I have my doubts about the Q actually beginning any earlier than where he is now but I’d love for him to make a trip across the pond and play against men.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So long as it's safe and the players and parents don't embarrass themselves like they have in football circles, I'm fine with them beginning with a delayed start and truncated season.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Bit weird to see a 2020-21 Prospect Thread while still having a 2019-20 Trade thread for another month :laugh:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Just in time for this news.

Curious to see what Newhook does. I have my doubts about the Q actually beginning any earlier than where he is now but I’d love for him to make a trip across the pond and play against men.

Sakic's response to this:

Before you jump on the course, did a couple questions for you about prospects. With college players like Sampo Ranta, Alex Newhook and Drew Helleson, was there ever a conversation about those guys playing juniors and loaning them out now that their seasons are going to be postponed? What have those conversations been like with your college prospects?

Well, Sampo is back in Minnesota and they are all waiting to see what is going on.

The Hockey Commissioner’s Association just announced a few hours ago that men’s and women’s college hockey is going to be delayed.

So, it’s a conversation as we move forward. If it is December (when they start playing), then, it’s not a big deal. That’s just two months. I think they all like their situations where they are at. But if it goes on and it keeps getting postponed, then, we’re going to have to sit down with the players and see what they want to do and we we feel is best for them at that time. There is nothing too pressing right. I know Europe is going on but if you’re going to Europe, you gotta be in the right spot, too.

Q&A: Joe Sakic on Avalanche injuries, goaltending and free agency

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Ok, say you get to Jan/Feb what are the options then? AHL? That’s about it.

For Newhook it could be AHL or maybe even NHL.

I really don't know what you do with the others since someone like Helleson likely needs multiple years in college and that option goes away if he plays pro.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Ok, say you get to Jan/Feb what are the options then? AHL? That’s about it.

CHL and USHL have midseason moves a lot. So Newhook could still head to the Q. Helleson's rights are up in the air, to my knowledge, nobody owns them in the USHL/WHL so I'm not sure what he'd do.

The Europe comment at the end is telling about Kaut. "If you're gonna go to Europe, you gotta be in the right spot too."

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
CHL and USHL have midseason moves a lot. So Newhook could still head to the Q. Helleson's rights are up in the air, to my knowledge, nobody owns them in the USHL/WHL so I'm not sure what he'd do.

The Europe comment at the end is telling about Kaut. "If you're gonna go to Europe, you gotta be in the right spot too."
Thought I read Portland Winterhawks listed Helleson a few years ago

Allegedly Hejduk and Petr Nedved have changed Sakic’s mind on the Kaut situation, we’ll see what materializes.

Maybe first of many

Reactions: McMetal

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Weird. Would have thought the Sea Dogs would have been all over him. Guessing playing in the Q still can’t happen if you want to go back to school.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I never knew that. Also, that's kinda ridiculous.
I think they pay a small stipend to players. It's not much, but the NCAA are a bunch of dicks.

I guess the BCHL is better than nothing, but if that's his only option I hope Hockey East can come up with a way to play games. I really liked the idea of having Stienburg in college, it feels like BCHL would be a big step backwards in terms of competition. Learning to play against guys who are bigger and more skilled than him is going to be key if he's going to make the NHL. Unlike most, I have pretty high hopes for him as a homegrown bottom sixer.

Reactions: Avs_19

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Is there no regulating body that can slap the NCAA around for considering the WHL a pro league?

The WHL stipend is about $250-600 a month. That pales in comparison to what the NCAA gives their "student athletes" and considering these junior athletes work at least full time for them, that breaks down to a whopping $1.56 - 3.75/hr.

All of these leagues are making millions off these young kids risking their health and career for them, while being financially compensated either nothing or almost nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs_19 and ljb4

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Is there no regulating body that can slap the NCAA around for considering the WHL a pro league?

The WHL stipend is about $250-600 a month. That pales in comparison to what the NCAA gives their "student athletes" and considering they work full time for them, that breaks down to a whopping $3.75/hr.

All of these leagues are making millions off these young kids risking their health and career for them, while being financially compensated either nothing or almost nothing.
source.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad