Prospect Info: 2020-21 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Isn't there a stat out there that mentions 60-70% of the NHLers nowadays have played in the AHL? Him playing in the AHL is okay, it's not the electric chair.
I think TV’s point is that for some player it’s better not to start their ELC too early.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think TV’s point is that for some player it’s better not to start their ELC too early.
That's weird if true because 99.9% of teams give ELCs to players at the point that they play well enough to deserve one 99.9% of the time. We all thought that O'Connor signing was throwing his dad a bone because of his "connections" to some hockey personnel deep in organisations, but the lad can seriously play. The problem with Ranta is we can't sign him until his NCAA season is done due to protocols deemed by the NCAA. If he was in the CHL, there is a good chance we might've already signed him.

Reactions: McMetal

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

I wouldn’t take her comment that way, it’s more based in her general skepticism about the AHL as a development league.

If Sampo keeps this up, the AHL next year would absolutely be the right step for him. He’ll have nothing to learn (that he stands at chance of learning) in NCAA. Avs staff bring rants up all the time unsolicited in the same breath as Kaut and sometimes even Newhook, they haven’t forgotten about him. If he earns it he’ll get a shot, his contract is as valuable to them as any vet’s advantage in experience.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That's weird if true because 99.9% of teams give ELCs to players at the point that they play well enough to deserve one 99.9% of the time. We all thought that O'Connor signing was throwing his dad a bone because of his "connections" to some hockey personnel deep in organisations, but the lad can seriously play. The problem with Ranta is we can't sign him until his NCAA season is done due to protocols deemed by the NCAA. If he was in the CHL, there is a good chance we might've already signed him.

TV seems to have a fear that any prospect that sets foot in the AHL will be stuck there until the end of times and never given a proper chance in the NHL.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I wouldn’t take her comment that way, it’s more based in her general skepticism about the AHL as a development league.

If Sampo keeps this up, the AHL next year would absolutely be the right step for him. He’ll have nothing to learn (that he stands at chance of learning) in NCAA.
Nothing to learn? He’s not going to North Dakota.

Reactions: RockyMtnRedhawk

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
TV seems to have a fear that any prospect that sets foot in the AHL will be stuck there until the end of times and never given a proper chance in the NHL.

It just isn't what his happening down there though. On this current Avs team that has played 28 players, 9 players have played with an Avs' AHL affiliate (5 of them played with the Eagles last year).. Jost is a token AHL games guy, so really 8 guys. Four of them are getting every night roles, or close to it. LOC looks like a guy who should have an every night role. Kaut is still a question at this point, but if he's good enough, he'll get his shot.

Reactions: Balthazar

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

This is usually the biggest benefit to the WJC, the growth players see after a good WJC. I think it's confirmation for a lot of these players about how good they really are.

Barron went from being a late 1st round draft pick to being a top 4 defenseman on one of the most dominant WJC teams (well until the Gold medal game). But regardless, that shift in mindset is huge.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I wonder what the plan is with Barron.

Next year would be his overage year in the Q if I'm not mistaken. Normally don't see 1st round talent back in the Q as an overage.

But this year has been such a different year for development leagues(Although the Q is probably having as close to a normal year as any other league).

I wonder do they give him an honest, legit opportunity to make the Avs roster next season and if he's not quite at that level do they bring him to the Eagles or back to Halifax.

I dont think he'd be NHL ready next October, but you never know what kind of boost in confidence he got from the WJV and how that can effect his development moving forward.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Next year would be his overage year in the Q if I'm not mistaken. Normally don't see 1st round talent back in the Q as an overage.

But this year has been such a different year for development leagues(Although the Q is probably having as close to a normal year as any other league).

I wonder do they give him an honest, legit opportunity to make the Avs roster next season and if he's not quite at that level do they bring him to the Eagles or back to Halifax.

I dont think he'd be NHL ready next October, but you never know what kind of boost in confidence he got from the WJV and how that can effect his development moving forward.
Interesting thoughts Pierce.

If Timmins stakes a legitimate claim for a top 4 role by the end of this season, and we lose Graves either to Seattle or due to a trade for cap reasons, then we'd have the top 6 below next season:

Toews -- Makar
Byram -- Timmins
Girard -- Johnson

In that scenario, Barron could theoretically become next season what Timmins is right now as the young 7D who you don't mind putting in games whenever there are injuries (and let's face it, there will be a lot of injuries with EJ so he'd be likely to play plenty just like Timmins is right now).

That said, it's important to remember that Barron is still a really young kid who has never played hockey above the junior level. A lot has to go perfectly right in the next 8 months for him to be a legitimate consideration for a spot on this roster at the start of next season.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

I don't think it would hurt him to play another year in the Q, he's basically missed a year due to the blood clot issue, and then this weird year. Give him playing time, and let him dominate to build that confidence. From what I saw from the WJCs, his positioning and skating are pretty good, but he wasn't always assertive in his decision making.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I personally have Helleson ahead on the depth chart. While I get he’s yet to sign and may want to stay in college another year, I see both him and Newhook signing at the end of their season.

The Helleson I saw at the WJC was calm under pressure and consistently made good puck decisions. I think he’ll be the perfect defenseman to fit in beside one of our more flashy LHD.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I don't think it would hurt him to play another year in the Q, he's basically missed a year due to the blood clot issue, and then this weird year. Give him playing time, and let him dominate to build that confidence. From what I saw from the WJCs, his positioning and skating are pretty good, but he wasn't always assertive in his decision making.

Agreed completely. I'd like to see a lot of our prospects do an overage year.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

Agreed completely. I'd like to see a lot of our prospects do an overage year.

Especially right now, let’s spread these ELCs out a bit better on the backend, we need a steady stream of cheap depth not 4 guys graduating to the roster and then needing raises at the same time.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I personally have Helleson ahead on the depth chart. While I get he’s yet to sign and may want to stay in college another year, I see both him and Newhook signing at the end of their season.

The Helleson I saw at the WJC was calm under pressure and consistently made good puck decisions. I think he’ll be the perfect defenseman to fit in beside one of our more flashy LHD.
I love that the Avs have drafted so many good RHD's. Young cost-controlled RHD's are probably the rarest commodity and hardest to acquire after top line centers, and having a gluttony of them puts Sakic in a strong position if he ever has to make a trade to shore up other parts of the roster.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I love that the Avs have drafted so many good RHD's. Young cost-controlled RHD's are probably the rarest commodity and hardest to acquire after top line centers, and having a gluttony of them puts Sakic in a strong position if he ever has to make a trade to shore up other parts of the roster.

I hate that I’m this person, but you mean just “glut”.

Good word, glut. Glut. GLUT. Glllutttttt.

English is ****ed.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I hate that I’m this person, but you mean just “glut”.

Good word, glut. Glut. GLUT. Glllutttttt.

English is ****ed.
Lol, thanks for the correction, much appreciated. I now realise the error of my ways:

gluttony
/ˈɡlʌt(ə)ni/
noun
  1. habitual greed or excess in eating. :laugh:

EDIT: On second thought, couldn't you say that Sakic has a "habitual greed" for stockpiling good young defensemen? :sarcasm:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Hopefully Sakic can navigate it correctly.

We saw Anaheim go from having one of the deepest blue lines with Lindholm, Fowler, Vatanen, Montour, Manson, Theodore, Larsson as all top 4 or potential top 4 defenseman to being left with nothing to show besides a few draft picks and a bunch of underwhelming defenseman (outside of Lindholm).

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Hopefully Sakic can navigate it correctly.

We saw Anaheim go from having one of the deepest blue lines with Lindholm, Fowler, Vatanen, Montour, Manson, Theodore, Larsson as all top 4 or potential top 4 defenseman to being left with nothing to show besides a few draft picks and a bunch of underwhelming defenseman (outside of Lindholm).

Losing Theodore was a kick in the balls for them

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Fowler is still good... maybe not a top pairing guy ideally, but still a good middle pairing guy. Lindholm is still good. Manson is just regressing now and is past his prime. Anaheim was a massive jumbling of errors. First having to protect Bieksa instead of buying him out, then picking Vatanen over Theodore... then turning around and moving Vatanen for Henrique... all while panicking and overthinking the expansion draft. They are a prime example of what not to do. First, be willing to buy out a NMC. Second, don't pay a heavy price to protect a player. Third, losing one good player is better than overthinking and losing two to protect one you slightly favor.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Fowler was and still is wildly overrated. Productive, yes, but bad defensively, at times so bad that he didn't make up for it with his offense. That's the guy Murray should've sold high on, but he instead signed him long term and let Theodore be the sacrificial lamb, which was obviously a mistake.

But as Henchy pointed out, it's not the biggest nor only mistake they've made--they're a terribly-run organization and have been for many years. The only GMs I'd consider worse than Murray are Benning (and that's debatable) and Gorton (not debatable).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Fowler was and still is wildly overrated. Productive, yes, but bad defensively, at times so bad that he didn't make up for it with his offense. That's the guy Murray should've sold high on, but he instead signed him long term and let Theodore be the sacrificial lamb, which was obviously a mistake.

But as Henchy pointed out, it's not the biggest nor only mistake they've made--they're a terribly-run organization and have been for many years. The only GMs I'd consider worse than Murray are Benning (and that's debatable) and Gorton (not debatable).

I'd argue they have a top 5 scouting department. They let their players ripen a bit more than the rest of the league, but they are excellent at finding good NHL players. They are pretty much a lock to get 2 NHL players a draft (every so often they drop to 1), and they have a 4 or 5 player draft every so often.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Gotta disagree here.

Murray has been working with an internal cap since he's been hired, it's not easy to make moves when you're tied to an internal budget, yet the team still made it to the conference finals twice. I wouldn't say Murray is a top tier GM but he isn't bottom tier either. As for the organization itself, they've made some pretty bad decisions the past ~5 years, but they were also cup contenders during that time and inevitably a lot of moves will look bad in retrospect. Not going to look it up, but I would bet they're top 5-10 in playoff wins if we back to the 2000s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad