Speculation: 2020-2021: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 2 - Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Craig Smith hitting FA too. If DW could get his hands on 2 of Smith, Wennberg, Ryan, or Dadonov then that would be a pretty successful off-season. The price is the only issue but I think you could get them at a reasonable rate.
The Sharks should look to add 2 guys, but one has to be Dadonov, Granlund, Toffoli, or equivalent. The other can be a bought out guy looking for a bounce back like the guys you mentioned, or Galchenyuk or someone.

Edit: I didn't actually realize Granlund scoring dropped off so much since he got to Nashville, so maybe he is more of a middle tier option, but that might also be more of a Nashville problem than him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I think Ryan will get the $1.5M that Corey Perry got, and I don't think that's a big risk. At 33 he's not too old, is a RH shot, and put up 40 points two seasons ago. Not sure if he can get back there, but for $1.5M that be huge.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
More like league minimum.
Highly doubt he's signing for league minimum in SJ. I'm sure at league minimum, he can pick whatever team he wants and no way that would be SJ unless him and EK65 are best friends. Between the bad season, California Tax rates, and Bay Area COLA, there is not anything enticing about SJ. We'd most assuredly have to offer more than other teams and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a few offers in the 2mil range.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Edit: I didn't actually realize Granlund scoring dropped off so much since he got to Nashville, so maybe he is more of a middle tier option, but that might also be more of a Nashville problem than him.

Granlund was outscored by Kyle Turris this year, I think the concerns about his regression are legitimate

It's too bad, I always liked him in Minnesota and would love that version of him in San Jose

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Craig Smith hitting FA too. If DW could get his hands on 2 of Smith, Wennberg, Ryan, or Dadonov then that would be a pretty successful off-season. The price is the only issue but I think you could get them at a reasonable rate.

If he can get Craig Smith/Ryan + Dadonov for a combined 9M, that'd be amazing. Would still leave over 7M (if they dump Sorensen) to sign a goalie and re-sign Labanc. A lineup of Meier-Couture-Dadonov, Kane-Hertl-Labanc, Gregor-Jumbo-Smith/Ryan, Marleau/Handemark-Kellman-Noesen isn't half bad.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
If he can get Craig Smith/Ryan + Dadonov for a combined 9M, that'd be amazing. Would still leave over 7M (if they dump Sorensen) to sign a goalie and re-sign Labanc. A lineup of Meier-Couture-Dadonov, Kane-Hertl-Labanc, Gregor-Jumbo-Smith/Ryan, Marleau/Handemark-Kellman-Noesen isn't half bad.

I actually like that team a lot. It feels fairly balanced. Maybe they're not the most talented in the league (we're missing a superstar upfront unless Hertl/Meier finally, consistently take the big step that they've been teasing us with periodically), but four lines that can score, be gritty, etc. That's a fun team to watch.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I actually like that team a lot. It feels fairly balanced. Maybe they're not the most talented in the league (we're missing a superstar upfront unless Hertl/Meier finally, consistently take the big step that they've been teasing us with periodically), but four lines that can score, be gritty, etc. That's a fun team to watch.
Isn't that the idea anyways, though. If you want to build a game plan around your personnel, gritty forwards, who can make space for Karlsson and Burns, and eventually Merkley, but still have the ability to finish when put in position to succeed is what you want, thoughout the lineup because you will have 60 minutes of that level of play from the RD, so you need 60 minutes of support from the forwards.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
I would be very pleased with a Dadonov + Smith/Ryan off-season, I think the latter would be more easily had. Dadonov though, I don't see signing with us.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Highly doubt he's signing for league minimum in SJ. I'm sure at league minimum, he can pick whatever team he wants and no way that would be SJ unless him and EK65 are best friends. Between the bad season, California Tax rates, and Bay Area COLA, there is not anything enticing about SJ. We'd most assuredly have to offer more than other teams and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a few offers in the 2mil range.
I agree that he will have plenty of choices if he is willing to sign for minimum. The guy has made plenty of money so there’s a good chance his choice will be most influenced by chance for individual and team success and place to live over things like tax rate and cost of living. He could see the Sharks as a chance to move back to California and have a legitimate opportunity to earn a significant role. I wouldn’t be so quick to count us out.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I have a gut feeling that DW already has a deal for Killorn worked out and it will be announced at or before the draft.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Now that Dillon is gone, is there a chance we see the Vlasic/EK pairing reunited? For all the rumblings about their poor chemistry, their underlying numbers were great.
Honestly, when the Sharks we're winning games, with the Hertl-Goodrow-Meier line and Hertl and Karlsson absolutely dominating, I felt like Vlasic was quietly the third best player on the Sharks, playing with Karlsson.

Reactions: Tkachuk4MVP

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I agree that he will have plenty of choices if he is willing to sign for minimum. The guy has made plenty of money so there’s a good chance his choice will be most influenced by chance for individual and team success and place to live over things like tax rate and cost of living. He could see the Sharks as a chance to move back to California and have a legitimate opportunity to earn a significant role. I wouldn’t be so quick to count us out.
If he just wants to chase a cup, there are several teams he could join that hold an edge over SJ. TBL, Vegas, Dallas, etc. and they also have the benefit of being in a state with no state income tax. I can’t see him signing here for league minimum unless no other team offers him a deal, which isn’t going to happen. As long as it’s 3 mil or less with no more than 3 years term, I’d be okay with it.
I think getting Ryan for 2.5, Galchenyuk for 3, and someone like Haula or Granlund for 4-5 from free agency OR trade for Dylan Strome (with just futures) would make us contenders again if DW could work the cap. 2/3 of those moves and we at least have a swinging chance.

We don’t need anyone who can carry a line, just 2-3 forwards who can play in a middle 6 role.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
EK65 needs to get a dog or something so they can start bonding and not be frienemies
Clearly a cat guy
images

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
What do you all think we could get for Lebancs rights? Mid level 1st this draft if sweetened??
Trading away any player right now is such a "sell low" move. It was pretty clear there were some issues with the team that dragged everyone down. Whatever value you are selling guys on is probably less than their true value in a season where everyone on the team had issues.

I don't know what you could get for him, but I would guess, like just about everyone on the team, it is less than last year and less than it will be next year.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Honestly, when the Sharks we're winning games, with the Hertl-Goodrow-Meier line and Hertl and Karlsson absolutely dominating, I felt like Vlasic was quietly the third best player on the Sharks, playing with Karlsson.

His underlying numbers with Karlsson were fantastic, as good as they were in his prime. They need to give that pairing another shot, if only to try and get MEV back on track.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
What do you all think we could get for Lebancs rights? Mid level 1st this draft if sweetened??
I'm not the biggest fan of Labanc but there's no way he's going for a draft pick. Sharks are attempting to contend so Labanc doesn't get moved unless it's for a better player. Otherwise it would just be dumb since he's cost controlled and likely isn't getting a big raise this offseason.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Ryan makes a lot of sense as a potential reclamation project. That cap hit was always going to be a burden, but if you can get him on a 1 or 2 year prove it deal that anchor is gone.

I certainly wouldn't go above $2m at the very highest, and I only see him as a middle 9 RW, but if you give him the opportunity and he takes it, great stuff. If not, it's unlikely to break the bank.

We're really lacking on the right side - he'll never be a top line RW again but this makes too much sense not to explore.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
What would people think about a 1 year cap-conscious deal for Craig Anderson?

Has been a really good, albeit injury-prone, goalie in the past, could back up Jones and even take over if needed. Also not a long term commitment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad