Speculation: 2020-2021: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 2 - Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
Yeah, he's definitely weird. It just seems odd that in a situation where he has a chance to speak up for once and take responsibility for shitty play, he chooses to instead blame team chemistry. Not trying to bash him for no reason...just not a huge fan of that.
I think it's probably a case of Jones being more circumspect and guarded in his speech rather than going out of his way to shift blame. Goalies only get interviewed if they did something awesome or if they screwed up, and that will naturally lead to most of them being a bit more careful. The vibe I've gotten from most of Jones' interviews in the last year is more "I know what you're asking, and I'm not going there" than "I did my job, ask these other ass clowns"

ETA: and the post-season interview with Kurz you're referring to is an example of that. He's basically trying hard not to say "this team was a train wreck all year, on and off the ice" and both the article and and the responses to it focus more on him not falling on his sword for it.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, he's definitely weird. It just seems odd that in a situation where he has a chance to speak up for once and take responsibility for shitty play, he chooses to instead blame team chemistry. Not trying to bash him for no reason...just not a huge fan of that.
Wasn't that comment at the end of the season and in relation to what went wrong with the season?

Reactions: BigDmitriy

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Thank god. Was worrying DW was going to get him.
Still could happen with retention from FLA (or if it falls through like is being reported as a possibility). Returning the favor as an intermediary for an SJ move this time hah. No clue what Pittsburgh is doing this offseason though. That would give them 4 LD all making $3.25 mil or more with two of them (Johnson and Matheson) being not very good.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Still could happen with retention from FLA (or if it falls through like is being reported as a possibility). Returning the favor as an intermediary for an SJ move this time hah. No clue what Pittsburgh is doing this offseason though. That would give them 4 LD all making $3.25 mil or more with two of them (Johnson and Matheson) being not very good.

Wouldn't be surprised with a Jack Johnson buyout. Also wouldn't be surprised if they used Murray to get rid of Johnson even though he shouldn't have that sort of value.

Reactions: themelkman

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
If Matheson has trade value, then so does Vlasic.
I'm holding to the idea that the big delay in this deal is that DW swooped in and convinced Rutherford to take Vlasic at $1.5 mil retention in place of Matheson. Teaming up with his Team Canada teammate in Crosby probably one of the only places outside of MTL that he would maybe even consider waiving for. Obviously would rather not take another questionable salary back, but that's not the case in this flat cap world. Going to have to find a hockey deal for Vlasic if you want to move him. Still have enough cap space to sign Dadonov and a veteran goalie to pair with Jones (like Elliott). I do think Hornqvist would fit decently on the 3rd line with Thornton and Gregor/Marleau in the cycle game behind the net.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If Matheson has trade value, then so does Vlasic.
Well .. Matheson is younger, has a lower cap hit and AAV than Vlasic. He also had, arguably, better seasons than Vlasic over the last 2 years.

I still think Vlasic has trade value because of his name and reputation. But that contract, his age and his play are going to kill his value sooner than later. Unless of course he pulls his head out of his ass and starts playing to his strengths than trying to be Orr.

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Maybe so but unlike Matheson Vlasic is in his 30’s, carries a $2MM+ higher cap hit, and a NMC. A lot more hurdles to clear
Vlasic, unlike Matheson, has also been good at hockey at one point in his career too. If DW is willing to eat $1.5 million on Vlasic, there is almost assuredly a deal to be made if Vlasic is willing to waive. The NMC is the only big hold up in moving Vlasic. All of the others are things that can be navigated around pretty easily.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Vlasic, unlike Matheson, has also been good at hockey at one point in his career too. If DW is willing to eat $1.5 million on Vlasic, there is almost assuredly a deal to be made if Vlasic is willing to waive. The NMC is the only big hold up in moving Vlasic. All of the others are things that can be navigated around pretty easily.

My thoughts. I've never been impressed with Matheson...Vlasic at least has a history of reaching very great heights.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
My thoughts. I've never been impressed with Matheson...Vlasic at least has a history of reaching very great heights.

So does Patrick Marleau but it doesn't mean you'd trade for him now. Vlasic has a restrictive contract that is overpriced. Matheson is overpriced to a lesser degree with no restrictions currently.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Carolina was just a post-lockout/game changes fluke. Pittsburgh was him making a solid move getting Kessel before he got his hands too dirty with the Pens.

Carolina had an incredibly deep team. They didn't have a lot of high-end talent, but they had plenty of veterans (including a few who were on the 2002 SCF team), plus Cam Ward having one of the best goalie performances of all-time.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Carolina had an incredibly deep team. They didn't have a lot of high-end talent, but they had plenty of veterans (including a few who were on the 2002 SCF team), plus Cam Ward having one of the best goalie performances of all-time.

They were deep, yes, but that whole season was a fluke. They were calling penalties in that playoffs that they weren't calling in subsequent playoffs. I don't think that team wins in a normally officiated season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad