Speculation: 2020-2021: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 2 - Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
What would people think about a 1 year cap-conscious deal for Craig Anderson?

Has been a really good, albeit injury-prone, goalie in the past, could back up Jones and even take over if needed. Also not a long term commitment?
Not against it on principle but I think there will be better options available.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
What would people think about a 1 year cap-conscious deal for Craig Anderson?

Has been a really good, albeit injury-prone, goalie in the past, could back up Jones and even take over if needed. Also not a long term commitment?
I think the number one requirement for the backup is that they be able to reduce Jones workload. An injured goalie can't do that.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I'm not the biggest fan of Labanc but there's no way he's going for a draft pick. Sharks are attempting to contend so Labanc doesn't get moved unless it's for a better player. Otherwise it would just be dumb since he's cost controlled and likely isn't getting a big raise this offseason.

Could happen if our roster is retooled. Lebanc generally
plays with Jumbo who i dont think will play for ever, hes not really established himself with other of out top forwards from what i recal w/o looking at adv stats.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Trading away any player right now is such a "sell low" move. It was pretty clear there were some issues with the team that dragged everyone down. Whatever value you are selling guys on is probably less than their true value in a season where everyone on the team had issues.

I don't know what you could get for him, but I would guess, like just about everyone on the team, it is less than last year and less than it will be next year.

I dont agree as he has had better seasons that last and is an established NHLer at this point.

If Goodrow and a mid level pick get us a low first round pick, i believe we could the same plus. Perhaps a mid level first in return.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Could happen if our roster is retooled. Lebanc generally
plays with Jumbo who i dont think will play for ever, hes not really established himself with other of out top forwards from what i recal w/o looking at adv stats.
Ok... and it's been established that the roster isn't getting "retooled". They are not rebuilding. Even in DW's most recent conference call about hiring BB he mentions that the core is good and he needs to work "around the edges". He's not trading a roster player, especiaplly on the right wing for just a draft pick. That makes no sense on any level. Also, the advanced stat guys here have posted that Labancs numbers are actually very good with the other "top forwards" here. Like they all apparently do better with Labanc than without. I know seems crazy. IMO, if there is no deal to upgrade that makes sense with him, he's fine on the 3rd line. Sorenson is the boat anchor from that trio and needs to be cast into the sea.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Erep

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Ok... and it's been established that the roster isn't getting "retooled". They are not rebuilding. Even in DW's most recent conference call about hiring BB he mentions that the core is good and he needs to work "around the edges". He's not trading a roster player, especiaplly on the right wing for just a draft pick. That makes no sense on any level. Also, the advanced stat guys here have posted that Labancs numbers are actually very good with the other "top forwards" here. Like they all apparently do better with Labanc than without. I know seems crazy. IMO, if there is no deal to upgrade that makes sense with him, he's fine on the 3rd line. Sorenson is the boat anchor from that trio and needs to be cast into the sea.
So much of the fan response to this season has been:

Team is bad so all players are washed up and worthless...

The things wrong with the team is not individuals. There are some spots the team could be stronger, but the real problem was everyone together (in addition to the injuries). That is the coaches and leaderships job to deal with. Coach who did nothing about it is gone. New captain has a year of experience, and all the players are saying the right things about wanting to get back out there and fix it.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!

Retool to me means what DW normally calls refresh. I call it we need 3 top 9 forwards given we lose Sorenson.

I didn't say DW was going to trade LeBlanc, just interested in what hes worth. While i dont have a problem with his game overall aside from his defensive play his game has maxed out
to about what he did last season overall.

I do think the 3rd line needs updating as Jumbo wont play forever as we all know. And i agree losing
Sorenson. I am hoping a prospect can win a roster spot
in the top 9 forward group, e.g. Blichfld, etc. time will tell.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I would not like deal where we trade 1st for Killorn. If we trade TB 1st back to Tampa I want Ondrej Palat rather than Killorn.

My speculation was that DW negotiated a deal like Goodrow, Gambrell and a third for Killorn, at the trade deadline, but Tampa needed Goodrow and Killorn for this run, so the Tampa first is nothing more than collateral until the off season. That makes sense to me, given none of us expected Goodrow and a third would return a late first.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Retool to me means what DW normally calls refresh. I call it we need 3 top 9 forwards given we lose Sorenson.

I didn't say DW was going to trade LeBlanc, just interested in what hes worth. While i dont have a problem with his game overall aside from his defensive play his game has maxed out
to about what he did last season overall.

I do think the 3rd line needs updating as Jumbo wont play forever as we all know. And i agree losing
Sorenson. I am hoping a prospect can win a roster spot
in the top 9 forward group, e.g. Blichfld, etc. time will tell.
Retooling or refreshing isn't trading a cheap top 9 winger in a position of need for the team for a draft pick that won't see NHL ice for at least 2 or 3 years. If his game is maxed out at 50 points a season I'm good with that. Whats the point of asking what he's worth in a trade if not to trade him? Seems like you're trying to walk back your comment.

Ideally I'm hoping someone like Handemark takes the 3c spot with Labanc on the right and a fast prospect on the other side. Maybe Gregor or Leonard? Not sure what wing they play but a number of Leonards highlights have him entering the zone on the left wing. If Jumbo resigns he either needs to play wing on the 3rd or center the 4th IMO.

Sharks only need 2 top 6 wingers. Plenty of options to fill out the bottom 6 with the guys who are already part of the organization and assuming Patty and Jumbo come back.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Retooling or refreshing isn't trading a cheap top 9 winger in a position of need for the team for a draft pick that won't see NHL ice for at least 2 or 3 years. If his game is maxed out at 50 points a season I'm good with that. Whats the point of asking what he's worth in a trade if not to trade him? Seems like you're trying to walk back your comment.

Ideally I'm hoping someone like Handemark takes the 3c spot with Labanc on the right and a fast prospect on the other side. Maybe Gregor or Leonard? Not sure what wing they play but a number of Leonards highlights have him entering the zone on the left wing. If Jumbo resigns he either needs to play wing on the 3rd or center the 4th IMO.

Sharks only need 2 top 6 wingers. Plenty of options to fill out the bottom 6 with the guys who are already part of the organization and assuming Patty and Jumbo come back.

Retooling or trading a cheap top 9 winger is refreshing if the GM wants to. And it's a free country Dr S! Anything is possible when your team finishes last. Depth is what wins cups, you say 2 top 6 wingers and i'm okay with that. For me 3 top 9 forwards is what we need. I'm good with Jumbo on the team, probally 3rd liner.

I have no interested in losing LeBanc, only if it's in exchange for a current asset, or future asset given we are good currently.

Last edited:

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Id pay the colarado second plus some other asset for Killorn, but not really willing to drop either of the top 2 picks on him. Palat is a different story but has zero reason to leave
I agree with this. Lots of teams looking to move salary and wingers are the 1st to go. Add in some decent UFAs and limited teams willing to add salary for wingers and there will be bargains. If some team wants to outbid us for Killorn, no problems. That’s one less team looking to add a winger and less competition for others who are available.

Reactions: themelkman

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It'll be interesting to see what kind of deals we'll end up seeing. Lots of good players out there and lots of teams looking to shed them and not a whole lot of teams looking to add salary either. Sharks might be on a good position to add some talent for cheap seeing how we have the go ahead to spend to the cap.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Retooling or trading a cheap top 9 winger is refreshing if the GM wants to. And it's a free country Dr S! Anything is possible when your team finishes last. Depth is what wins cups, you say 2 top 6 wingers and i'm okay with that. For me 3 top 9 forwards is what we need. I'm good with Jumbo on the team, probally 3rd liner.

I have no interested in losing LeBanc, only if it's in exchange for a current asset, or future asset given we are good currently.
Yeah sure it's a free country. That means when you suggest something no GM is going to do when they have committed to competing, we can tell you how implausible that idea is. ;)
They don't need to bring in 3 outside top 9 players if they can't afford it and right now it doesn't look like they can. Better to concentrate what money they have on the best 2 players possible to keep Labanc on the 3rd line. The bottom 6 will be fine with what is already in the organization.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad