Speculation: 2020-2021: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 2 - Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I’d like to see Thornton and Marleau get a proper send off, but I just don’t see how it can happen.

To compete the Sharks need to perfectly answer three questions:

1. Goaltending- how can you get the team save percentage to .910 without Switching to a trap that tanks offense? Maybe Jones can bounce back, but you definitely need to sign a backup to challenge/replace him.
2. Middle of the line-up depth. Where do the Sharks find the two capable top 6, one third line forward, and a 5/6 dman they desperately need?
3. Will the core perform and prove relatively healthy? Burns, Karlsson, Meier, Couture, Labanc and Vlasic can all be better, Kane can be a bit more disciplined. Hertl, Karlsson and Simek could be healthier.

Everything possible went wrong last year, not every problem will be corrected but I do think with a few shrewd moves will make SJ a playoff team. But is that enough to not start from scratch?

Reactions: Le Rosbeef

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
If Tampa loses to Columbus I had an idea for a shakeup that could help both teams

Brent Burns for Steven Stamkos straight up 1-for-1 swap, who says no?

Other than Burns saying no with his NTC, but let's just pretend he waives for the sake of discussion

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Steven Stamkos? Who's that, I've never seen him in the postseason.

u0jam.gif

Powinkle

Mar 25, 2016
Chico
How do we feel about offer sheeting Mikheyev if possible? Keep it in the 3rd compensation, they don't have a huge amount of cap to work with and he could be a boost to our middle six.

ktice

Mar 10, 2019
How do we feel about offer sheeting Mikheyev if possible? Keep it in the 3rd compensation, they don't have a huge amount of cap to work with and he could be a boost to our middle six.

A wonderful idea. With the flat cap, I really hope DW is active with offer sheets.

Reactions: The Ice Hockey Dude

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Haven’t followed the entire thread but I unfortunately think the best thing for the Sharks May be to tank - and actually leverage a top 5 pick to get a bonafide future player.

This team reminds me of the Giants when Bomds was hitting HRs and the team as a whole stunk. While it’s fun to watch JT break records, at what point do we stop trying to retool and embrace the rebuild to young talent?

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Haven’t followed the entire thread but I unfortunately think the best thing for the Sharks May be to tank - and actually leverage a top 5 pick to get a bonafide future player.

This team reminds me of the Giants when Bomds was hitting HRs and the team as a whole stunk. While it’s fun to watch JT break records, at what point do we stop trying to retool and embrace the rebuild to young talent?
Many have advocated for that but DW so far claims he intends to contend so any inventive solutions to that end would be interesting.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

When Doug Wilson is no longer the GM. And I'm not saying that in a "I want him fired" sense. I'm saying it because he's pretty much made it clear he has no intentions of doing a full tear-down/rebuild and will continue to plug holes and acquire older talent for as long as he can when it comes to fixing whatever problem the team develops. There's little reason to believe he's suddenly going to wake up tomorrow, a month from now, 6 months from now, or next year and believe that he has to burn everything to ashes and start from scratch/near-scratch. Not unless the Sharks come out for 20/21 just as inept as they were last season and those trends continue. But if that's the case, DW would likely lose his job before he even had a chance to switch approaches.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
When Doug Wilson is no longer the GM. And I'm not saying that in a "I want him fired" sense. I'm saying it because he's pretty much made it clear he has no intentions of doing a full tear-down/rebuild and will continue to plug holes and acquire older talent for as long as he can when it comes to fixing whatever problem the team develops. There's little reason to believe he's suddenly going to wake up tomorrow, a month from now, 6 months from now, or next year and believe that he has to burn everything to ashes and start from scratch/near-scratch. Not unless the Sharks come out for 20/21 just as inept as they were last season and those trends continue. But if that's the case, DW would likely lose his job before he even had a chance to switch approaches.

Totally agree, and I'd go further and say that I'm not sure he's capable of running a full-on rebuild successfully. If Hasso decides to go that route, it should be a fresh voice running it imo.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
While i understand the merits of a full rebuild and wouldn't be fully against it, I still think that it's wrong move given the high-end talent we do have. We arent a team like NJ, DET, OTT, or BUF that has 1 top guy and a bunch of mediocre players. Our core of Karlsson, Burns, Kane, Hertl, Couture, Meier is still an above average top-2 D / top-4 forwards in the NHL.

Depth and goaltending were unquestionably issues last year, and i've argued here extensively that our best player (Karlsson) deserves a mulligan given everything he went through. I think it's the best option to not panic because of last season and let DW add another top 6 piece and some bottom 6 security.

Most importantly, though, I think Boughner (or someone else??) needs to create a better defense-first system. Something like CBJ/NYI run now or Boston did in the late 00's/early 10's where average goaltending is protected by aggressive defense/forecheck and limiting shots to the outside. If we play run and gun like Chicago or Edmonton, we will lose since Jones is unreliable, but i don't see any reason why we can't adjust our style to overcome our deficiencies and be a competitive team.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Totally agree, and I'd go further and say that I'm not sure he's capable of running a full-on rebuild successfully. If Hasso decides to go that route, it should be a fresh voice running it imo.
I'm fine either way. I think he could do it and frankly I would want him to be the one trading away the high priced contracts. Look at the return he gets for scrubs, can you imagine what he could swindle out of some GM for guys like Couture and Burns?:laugh:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
While i understand the merits of a full rebuild and wouldn't be fully against it, I still think that it's wrong move given the high-end talent we do have. We arent a team like NJ, DET, OTT, or BUF that has 1 top guy and a bunch of mediocre players. Our core of Karlsson, Burns, Kane, Hertl, Couture, Meier is still an above average top-2 D / top-4 forwards in the NHL.

Depth and goaltending were unquestionably issues last year, and i've argued here extensively that our best player (Karlsson) deserves a mulligan given everything he went through. I think it's the best option to not panic because of last season and let DW add another top 6 piece and some bottom 6 security.

Most importantly, though, I think Boughner (or someone else??) needs to create a better defense-first system. Something like CBJ/NYI run now or Boston did in the late 00's/early 10's where average goaltending is protected by aggressive defense/forecheck and limiting shots to the outside. If we play run and gun like Chicago or Edmonton, we will lose since Jones is unreliable, but i don't see any reason why we can't adjust our style to overcome our deficiencies and be a competitive team.
Personally I liked BBs system. Looked fun and with some scoring depth and injury luck that style produces goals easier and earlier in games forcing other teams to play into the Sharks hands. It was far more defense focused than PDBs system. The problem after BB was that they couldn't score so they had to play perfect hockey which is nearly impossible. With a few more goals it gives them room for the normal mental mistakes without it losing them the game.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Personally I liked BBs system. Looked fun and with some scoring depth and injury luck that style produces goals easier and earlier in games forcing other teams to play into the Sharks hands. It was far more defense focused than PDBs system. The problem after BB was that they couldn't score so they had to play perfect hockey which is nearly impossible. With a few more goals it gives them room for the normal mental mistakes without it losing them the game.

It allowed for much more creativity in the offense, rather than just being get puck high, shoot for tips, retrieve puck, rinse, repeat

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Blaming the coach is always an easy out. Considering DeBoer has had relative success on many teams, I don't think the issue is that he is a bad tactician. It is just that, like all coaches, the players eventually tuned him out.

It is a tricky science. Long gone are the days of stentorian coaches who were the souls of their teams. Nowadays, coaches often have to settle for an inferior system that their players can and will play rather than the style they ought to play.

For what it is worth, I think that Ron Wilson, T-Mac, and DeBoer all had at least a year where they had a system/strategy that could have won a cup, they had players who could have played to that strategy, but the players just didn't execute.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Blaming the coach is always an easy out. Considering DeBoer has had relative success on many teams, I don't think the issue is that he is a bad tactician. It is just that, like all coaches, the players eventually tuned him out.

It is a tricky science. Long gone are the days of stentorian coaches who were the souls of their teams. Nowadays, coaches often have to settle for an inferior system that their players can and will play rather than the style they ought to play.

For what it is worth, I think that Ron Wilson, T-Mac, and DeBoer all had at least a year where they had a system/strategy that could have won a cup, they had players who could have played to that strategy, but the players just didn't execute.
Players tune him out really quickly so not sure what that says about him as a leader/coach. He’s peaked in year 1 at every single head coaching stop and been out by year 5. It took the best roster in franchise history and a gift call to not see him fired last offseason. Id say 2018-19 was maybe the worst HC job he did simply because with the roster depth he had there was no reason to need a miracle against Vegas and to go 7 games with Colorado. The guy sucks plain and simple. Hated the hire when it was announced, and never bought into him.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I'm fine either way. I think he could do it and frankly I would want him to be the one trading away the high priced contracts. Look at the return he gets for scrubs, can you imagine what he could swindle out of some GM for guys like Couture and Burns?:laugh:

He'd be good at that part, but the drafting part is what worries me lol

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Alzner appears to need a change of venue. Hard to believe he's washed up allready. I'd take
and Drouin for Vlasic and the habs retain 3m instead of 4, that makes it about cab neutral
for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad