Speculation: 2020-2021: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 2 - Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Yeah sure it's a free country. That means when you suggest something no GM is going to do when they have committed to competing, we can tell you how implausible that idea is. ;)
They don't need to bring in 3 outside top 9 players if they can't afford it and right now it doesn't look like they can. Better to concentrate what money they have on the best 2 players possible to keep Labanc on the 3rd line. The bottom 6 will be fine with what is already in the organization.

Gee, tough group here in the sharks HF boards these days.

No one here is at GM or knows what DW is going to do. It's all speculation so excuse me
for making more of that. Deals happen.

Depends on the players cap hits don't you think? There are always plausible deals / player
contacts that can be made even if you all don't know about them or understand them.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Gee, tough group here in the sharks HF boards these days.

No one here is at GM or knows what DW is going to do. It's all speculation so excuse me
for making more of that. Deals happen.

Depends on the players cap hits don't you think? There are always plausible deals / player
contacts that can be made even if you all don't know about them or understand them.
No. I've stated it and restated it. Your proposed deal doesn't happen. The group is no tougher than it's always been. Speculate away but this is silly. No GM is going to trade Labanc for a draft pick when they need players at that position already. It's not plausible in this instance. Unless he's turning around and trading the pick for a legit top 6 RW then sure. But that not duding Labanc for a pick, that's trading him for an asset to acquire a better player. You might as well suggest that DW trade Hertl to Dallas for Corey Perry 1 for 1. Just as plausible as what you're suggesting.

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I hate the leblanc. It doesnt even sound the same and non sharks fans say it all the time

I hate when people spell "Vlasic" with a double "s". It's not like there isn't an internationally recognized brand name that shares his spelling or a convenient other way to see the spelling, like it being written across his back. But here we are. You can't always get what you want.

You might as well suggest that DW trade Hertl to Dallas for Corey Perry 1 for 1. Just as plausible as what you're suggesting.

Don't you f***ing even joke about that. Don't you put that bad juju on us.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I hate when people spell "Vlasic" with a double "s". It's not like there isn't an internationally recognized brand name that shares his spelling or a convenient other way to see the spelling, like it being written across his back. But here we are. You can't always get what you want.

Don't you f***ing even joke about that. Don't you put that bad juju on us.
I originally wrote it as trading Hertl for Pavs but I figured too many people would lose their minds... :laugh:

As far as the double "S" Vlasic. My spell check did that for a Loooong time until I made it "learn" Vlasic.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I'm afraid it will be more like a garden hose with almost no pressure, little drips with nothing of substance.
You've looked at the calendar right? Draft, UFA, buyouts all within a week or so... Gonna be a shit ton of action beginning of October. Already started seeing the beginnings of it. Lots of teams have to adjust their rosters for the flat cap.

Reactions: Sandisfan

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Craig Smith hitting FA too. If DW could get his hands on 2 of Smith, Wennberg, Ryan, or Dadonov then that would be a pretty successful off-season. The price is the only issue but I think you could get them at a reasonable rate.
This has been my thinking. DW needs to add two top 9 wingers, at the very least one being a solid top 6. Between that list, buyouts, and trades from teams wanting to make space he should have ample opportunity to do so.

Dadonov, Smith, and Fast would make sense in ufa. We should put aside pipe dreams like Hall unless DW surprises us by trading Vlasic, then all bets are off (though the odds of him wanting to sign here are slim). Players like Ryan would be perfect to round out our third line, anything bottom 6 needs to come in at bottom of the barrel price. Someone like Namestnikov could be good depth but I'd rather the team devote more resources to higher potential reward. Don't completely discount aging players or reclamation projects like Kovalchuk or Galchenyuk.

The trade market is where things could get interesting. Depending of how much cap we can unload, and if that's the direction DW wants/needs to go, there are quite a few great options out there. Nobody knows exactly who is available, especially this weird year, but winger is the most plentiful position and there are tons of teams looking to shed cap. We've discussed Domi and Strome. Ehlers or even Laine could be had, though it would require a much larger price going back. The Jets need a right top 4 d and a number 2 center, we could offer that but the pain would probably not be worth the gain. Something around Ehlers would probably be more doable/preferable than Laine and would be less likely to involve a player going back. Kessel is an interesting name going around with the Yotes looking to shed salary, but it's unknown if ownership would want to cut bait so early after their big get. Killorn or Johnson, somebody is getting traded from Tampa. Johnsson is probably available in Toronto. Anderson might be moved by Columbus. The there are a ton of completely unknowns, teams will move rfas, teams will dump salary, there will probably be more churn this year.

DW seems to think we need to add to our still good core, so it depends on who he views are essential to that(Hertl, Couture, Burns) and which players would most benefit from what. Dadonov probably offers the most offense and can make plays in the top 6 while someone like Smith is more of a trigger man who can play anywhere in the top 9 and round out a PP. These aren't necessarily game breakers on their own but they fill in the gaps that were so glaringly missing last year. Killorn is another that could play anywhere in the top 9. Ehlers is more elite and could have instant chemistry with Timo, but would probably come at too much cost.

The hope is that DW knows this is a make or break season. I think he sees it the same way he did the last time the Sharks missed the playoffs when he added Martin and Ward, with maybe slightly more urgency. Martin and Ward were big adds, I think people forget how big. Martin was a solid top 4 d, probably a number 3 who could play with our best d at the time. He made our d core function when Burns hadn't yet completely solidified into his Norris form. Ward was a super solid top 9, incredibly sound in all three zones, who scored 20 goals for us that year. If the Sharks add two quality wingers, get solid depth from players like Gregor, Leonard, or other prospects, and our injured/slumping players return to form then we can get back to being a playoff team and this long nightmare can end.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
You've looked at the calendar right? Draft, UFA, buyouts all within a week or so... Gonna be a shit ton of action beginning of October. Already started seeing the beginnings of it. Lots of teams have to adjust their rosters for the flat cap.

My fear is DW standing on the sidelines and not making the necessary moves.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
This has been my thinking. DW needs to add two top 9 wingers, at the very least one being a solid top 6. Between that list, buyouts, and trades from teams wanting to make space he should have ample opportunity to do so.

Dadonov, Smith, and Fast would make sense in ufa. We should put aside pipe dreams like Hall unless DW surprises us by trading Vlasic, then all bets are off (though the odds of him wanting to sign here are slim). Players like Ryan would be perfect to round out our third line, anything bottom 6 needs to come in at bottom of the barrel price. Someone like Namestnikov could be good depth but I'd rather the team devote more resources to higher potential reward. Don't completely discount aging players or reclamation projects like Kovalchuk or Galchenyuk.

The trade market is where things could get interesting. Depending of how much cap we can unload, and if that's the direction DW wants/needs to go, there are quite a few great options out there. Nobody knows exactly who is available, especially this weird year, but winger is the most plentiful position and there are tons of teams looking to shed cap. We've discussed Domi and Strome. Ehlers or even Laine could be had, though it would require a much larger price going back. The Jets need a right top 4 d and a number 2 center, we could offer that but the pain would probably not be worth the gain. Something around Ehlers would probably be more doable/preferable than Laine and would be less likely to involve a player going back. Kessel is an interesting name going around with the Yotes looking to shed salary, but it's unknown if ownership would want to cut bait so early after their big get. Killorn or Johnson, somebody is getting traded from Tampa. Johnsson is probably available in Toronto. Anderson might be moved by Columbus. The there are a ton of completely unknowns, teams will move rfas, teams will dump salary, there will probably be more churn this year.

DW seems to think we need to add to our still good core, so it depends on who he views are essential to that(Hertl, Couture, Burns) and which players would most benefit from what. Dadonov probably offers the most offense and can make plays in the top 6 while someone like Smith is more of a trigger man who can play anywhere in the top 9 and round out a PP. These aren't necessarily game breakers on their own but they fill in the gaps that were so glaringly missing last year. Killorn is another that could play anywhere in the top 9. Ehlers is more elite and could have instant chemistry with Timo, but would probably come at too much cost.

The hope is that DW knows this is a make or break season. I think he sees it the same way he did the last time the Sharks missed the playoffs when he added Martin and Ward, with maybe slightly more urgency. Martin and Ward were big adds, I think people forget how big. Martin was a solid top 4 d, probably a number 3 who could play with our best d at the time. He made our d core function when Burns hadn't yet completely solidified into his Norris form. Ward was a super solid top 9, incredibly sound in all three zones, who scored 20 goals for us that year. If the Sharks add two quality wingers, get solid depth from players like Gregor, Leonard, or other prospects, and our injured/slumping players return to form then we can get back to being a playoff team and this long nightmare can end.

Great post! I totally agree...I think the Sharks need a 2016-esque offseason in that they need a goalie, Donskoi and Ward forwards (ie top-9 guys), and a top-6 winger instead of Paul Martin. Labanc, Gregor, Jumbo, Marleau, Kellman, etc. should be able to provide the depth. From your list, I like Bobby Ryan or Craig Smith as the middle-6 guy who could potentially fill the Donskoi role (solid 5 on 5 and maybe contributes on the PP). I like Jesper Fast or a trade for Killorn (or Armia?) as the Ward equivalent (great PKer and can contribute on the third line alongside Jumbo and Labanc. There should be plenty of goalies available such as Talbot or Greiss without a huge amount of spots open after guys like Holtby, Lehner (or Fleury), Kuemper, maybe Georgiev, Khudobin, and Markstrom sign or get traded. That part should be doable given the Sharks' cap space. It's adding the impact top-6 player like Domi, Dadonov, or Toffoli that becomes very difficult without trading Burns (or Vlasic if you're being super optimistic).

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
If he just wants to chase a cup, there are several teams he could join that hold an edge over SJ. TBL, Vegas, Dallas, etc. and they also have the benefit of being in a state with no state income tax. I can’t see him signing here for league minimum unless no other team offers him a deal, which isn’t going to happen. As long as it’s 3 mil or less with no more than 3 years term, I’d be okay with it.
I think getting Ryan for 2.5, Galchenyuk for 3, and someone like Haula or Granlund for 4-5 from free agency OR trade for Dylan Strome (with just futures) would make us contenders again if DW could work the cap. 2/3 of those moves and we at least have a swinging chance.

We don’t need anyone who can carry a line, just 2-3 forwards who can play in a middle 6 role.
I wouldn’t give any of those players anywhere near that much. All of them aren’t great except Haula, who is a third liner that is going to get paid like a high end second liner. Galchenyuk isn’t even an NHL player, Granlund is bad, Ryan is getting millions of dollars, I’d give him 1-2M for 1 year as a prove it. Basically my ideal off-season, Dadonov at around 6-7M, Ryan at 1-2, Rutta at 1-1.5, goalie at around 1.

Reactions: themelkman

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn’t give any of those players anywhere near that much. All of them aren’t great except Haula, who is a third liner that is going to get paid like a high end second liner. Galchenyuk isn’t even an NHL player, Granlund is bad, Ryan is getting millions of dollars, I’d give him 1-2M for 1 year as a prove it. Basically my ideal off-season, Dadonov at around 6-7M, Ryan at 1-2, Rutta at 1-1.5, goalie at around 1.
Galchenyuk had 7 in 14 once he was traded to Min and had good metrics.

Granlund would have been our 5th highest scoring forward if he had played 70 games. If he can be had for a good price, I’d take him.

Ryan isn’t signing here for 1-2 mil.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Galchenyuk had 7 in 14 once he was traded to Min and had good metrics.

Granlund would have been our 5th highest scoring forward if he had played 70 games. If he can be had for a good price, I’d take him.

Ryan isn’t signing here for 1-2 mil.
Galchenyuk is the stereotypical living off his draft hype way too long player. If he was drafted later in the first, he would not be in the NHL anymore.

Granlund might score a lot but he can’t out score what he gives up and 2-3M is a good price. 5-6 is a huge overpayment.

Fine we will go sign an equivalent player as Ryan for 1-2M.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
What do you all think we could get for Lebancs rights? Mid level 1st this draft if sweetened??
Anything short of what Kapanen got should be scoffed at given Labanc’s numbers are better in virtually every feasible way. Counting stats better, possession stats better, etc. Labanc should be kept or moved only in a hockey deal. However, if we were to rebuild then he should fetch something in the 12-18 draft pick range based on the Kapanen return. Otherwise you hold onto him.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Renaud Lavoie is reporting that Johnny Gaudreau will be traded by the start of free agency.

I don’t personally think the Sharks should be trying to contend this year, but if they are, Gaudreau is probably the ideal target. He’s got his warts for sure which makes him risky but he’s also got some of the highest upside of any available player.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Renaud Lavoie is reporting that Johnny Gaudreau will be traded by the start of free agency.

I don’t personally think the Sharks should be trying to contend this year, but if they are, Gaudreau is probably the ideal target. He’s got his warts for sure which makes him risky but he’s also got some of the highest upside of any available player.
Just dont see it. Calgary will have suitors in the east that they dont have to compete with. This is good because it takes another bidder off the table for someone we do have a shot at getting

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

I feel like Gaudreau would be a perfect linemate for Hertl. Hertl makes so much time and space for his line but he doesn't have anybody with the skill to exploit that extra time. Gaudreau hasn't really had linemates that can do that but he can exploit soft spots pretty well. That could work out pretty well for us if he came here.

Reactions: ktice

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Galchenyuk is the stereotypical living off his draft hype way too long player. If he was drafted later in the first, he would not be in the NHL anymore.

Granlund might score a lot but he can’t out score what he gives up and 2-3M is a good price. 5-6 is a huge overpayment.

Fine we will go sign an equivalent player as Ryan for 1-2M.
Outside of his stint in Pit, he’s been a 40-50 point player his entire career. That hardly screams not good enough for the NHL.

Granlund has been a 50-60 point player besides the 70 games in Nashville. Seems extremely unrealistic to think he is only worth 2-3 million.

Exactly which player do you think is equivalent to Ryan that would sign for 2 mil or less?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Outside of his stint in Pit, he’s been a 40-50 point player his entire career. That hardly screams not good enough for the NHL.

Granlund has been a 50-60 point player besides the 70 games in Nashville. Seems extremely unrealistic to think he is only worth 2-3 million.

Exactly which player do you think is equivalent to Ryan that would sign for 2 mil or less?
Both Galchenyuk and Granlund could score 100 points a season but they are so bad defensively that it doesn’t matter because the other team would score 200 with them on the ice.

Gregor.Frolik. Leonard. Sobotka.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad