Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Senators Prospect Watch - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
03/12/2021Ridly Greig
Brandon-1-320x225.jpg
BrandonThree games for check from behind major and g.m. and repeat offender at Moose Jaw on March 12
[THEAD] [/THEAD]

Reactions: derriko

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
So early but being that far ahead of your peers is impressive.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
03/12/2021Ridly Greig
Brandon-1-320x225.jpg
BrandonThree games for check from behind major and g.m. and repeat offender at Moose Jaw on March 12
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
Love Greig as a prospect but that was a bad hit, lucky he didn't get more games even in a shortened season. I'm sure he'll come back fired up.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Finland produces great goalies
Rinne
Rask
Lehtonen
Raanta
Saros
Niemi

off the top of my head. Lets hope Levi gets in that group of talent.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Lots of Euro goalies never come play CHL and are serious about making it...I don't get this post, he may be able to play against men as early as next year. Going CHL seems like a step backwards.

I never said it was NECESSARY. I said it wouldn't be a bad idea. Playing in NA is lot different than Europe, especially for goalies.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Lots of Euro goalies never come play CHL and are serious about making it...I don't get this post, he may be able to play against men as early as next year. Going CHL seems like a step backwards.

Yeah he's probably better off playing in Finland. Hopefully play in Mestis next season and eventually in Liiga before coming over to NA.

Reactions: The Expert

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Watch this guy who no one had ever heard of & were making fun of during the draft, me included could end up being the best goalie in their system. ..... hahaha ..... That would be great actually! :nod:

Goalies man.,.. Especially junior aged goalies .. I don't know they can look like they are the second coming then fall off a cliff where you think they will never recover, then they climb the mountain again and they are great .. So hard to know what you have.

Reactions: aragorn

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I never said it was NECESSARY. I said it wouldn't be a bad idea. Playing in NA is lot different than Europe, especially for goalies.
I didn't imply you did say it was NECESSARY.

I said it would seem like a step backwards based on options he probably will have.

The net and crease are the same so I don't think goalies have the largest adjustment either although yes the dimensions of the ice surface are different.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Yeah he's probably better off playing in Finland. Hopefully play in Mestis next season and eventually in Liiga before coming over to NA.

Personally I would prefer, in terms of development, CHL -> AHL ->NHL to U-20 ->Mestis -> Liiga ->AHL ->NHL.

Not saying there is a right or wrong way but plenty of European players who could play in pro leagues (or even have played) in Europe choose to go the CHL route.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca

Too be fair, it was only a couple years ago that goalies were made eligible for the import draft, so for a long time it was never an option.

I think there are pros and cons both ways. Playing against older more experienced players can be a good reason to stay in Europe, but getting used to the angles and difference of play on the smaller ice surface could be valuable in CHL.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Lots of time for Meriläinen, let him play in Europe a few years then come over to NA (AHL) around 21-22 y/o

Stutzle-Lodin-batherson is gonna be sex

Why would you want Lodin to play with grinders? I mean, compared to him. This feels like another McDavid not surrounded well enough

Yeah, Lodin will need players able to play to his speed level. Pastrnak, MacKinnon, McDavid? (of course they'd all be wingers in Ottawa)

R2010

May 23, 2011
Personally I would prefer, in terms of development, CHL -> AHL ->NHL to U-20 ->Mestis -> Liiga ->AHL ->NHL.

Not saying there is a right or wrong way but plenty of European players who could play in pro leagues (or even have played) in Europe choose to go the CHL route.

Definitely would prefer Liiga -> AHL -> NHL to CHL -> AHL to NHL. Liiga has produced a lot of high end goalies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad