Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Senators Prospect Watch - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Why? AHL is a better option for development, you can control the players development yourself and he’d get adjusted to playing a full season on the smaller ice. Not sure why it would be a depth role for him either.

Depends if you think Kaprisov would be the same player he is today if he went the AHL route.

It also depends which camp you are in, in regards to how Logan Brown's development, as well as other players, was handled.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Depends if you think Kaprisov would be the same player he is today if he went the AHL route.

It also depends which camp you are in, in regards to how Logan Brown's development, as well as other players, was handled.
What a strange thing to think and say. Like 80% of NHL players played in the AHL.

SensontheRush

Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
What a strange thing to think and say. Like 80% of NHL players played in the AHL.

First premise has to do with European players development, and if they turn out better going the AHL route early or not. I never said anything about "when". As I said early, I think another season in the LIIGA is best, personally.

Second premise has to do with whether or not the Sens properly develop players, which some on this message board believe is the case, and some do not, or at least, give players a proper shot.

Being "strange" is a good thing though, so thank you :)

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
First premise has to do with European players development, and if they turn out better going the AHL route early or not. I never said anything about "when". As I said early, I think another season in the LIIGA is best, personally.

Second premise has to do with whether or not the Sens properly develop players, which some on this message board believe is the case, and some do not, or at least, give players a proper shot.

This organization has done a fairly good job of developing prospects especially those that do go the AHL route. They've had their misses but developing players like Stone, Hoffman, Pageau, Dzingel, Batherson is more rare than fans probably realizes.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Being "strange" is a good thing though, so thank you :)
Its strange to lump "European" players all together. There's a difference between playing in Finland and The KHL. Why bring up Logan Brown, an American who played major junior to a Finn in Liiga? Just doesn't seem relevant at all.

Playing another year in Finland is fine since he was a younger pick but there is going to be a pretty steep learning curve to playing in NA for Jarventie as we saw in the WJC. The best place for him next year is where ever he can play most. If he's not locked into a top 6 role for his league club, just get him over here since there won't be much competition in Belleville.

SensontheRush

Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Its strange to lump "European" players all together. There's a difference between playing in Finland and The KHL. Why bring up Logan Brown, an American who played major junior to a Finn in Liiga? Just doesn't seem relevant at all.

Playing another year in Finland is fine since he was a younger pick but there is going to be a pretty steep learning curve to playing in NA for Jarventie as we saw in the WJC. The best place for him next year is where ever he can play most. If he's not locked into a top 6 role for his league club, just get him over here since there won't be much competition in Belleville.

I feel like you get my point though. And sure, I could have used better examples.

But yes, I agree that, ideally, he should go to the league that offers the most opportunity; however, I believe that in the LIIGA, Jarventie will receive coaching to a greater depth; one that isn't limited by a communication barrier; either through interpretation or just diagrams. He'll receive instruction and tutelage from players and coaches alike on the many dynamics of Hockey to a great degree, or richer description. So even if he has an equal opportunity between the two, he benefits by playing in the LIIGA.

Unless I am assuming too little of modern coaching staff teams.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I feel like you get my point though. And sure, I could have used better examples.

But yes, I agree that, ideally, he should go to the league that offers the most opportunity; however, I believe that in the LIIGA, Jarventie will receive coaching to a greater depth; one that isn't limited by a communication barrier; either through interpretation or just diagrams. He'll receive instruction and tutelage from players and coaches alike on the many dynamics of Hockey to a great degree, or richer description. So even if he has an equal opportunity between the two, he benefits by playing in the LIIGA.

Unless I am assuming too little of modern coaching staff teams.
What on earth are you talking about? Why wouldn’t he get any of that stuff from the coaches in the AHL?

SensontheRush

Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
What on earth are you talking about? Why wouldn’t he get any of that stuff from the coaches in the AHL?

Are you saying that I assume too little of our coaching and developmental staff? That we have completely gotten rid of the language barrier in every aspect, or, at least, to a respectable enough degree?

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Are you saying that I assume too little of our coaching and developmental staff? That we have completely gotten rid of the language barrier in every aspect, or, at least, to a respectable enough degree?
Your assumptions and arguments are very weird. Also he most likely knows English, the majority of Swedes and Finns do. I don’t see any benefit to remaining in Liiga if he wants to come over to Belleville

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would like to see & think it would be better for Jarventie to come over next season & play in Belleville or the AHL. There are going to be several European players on the team & IMO it just might make for a good team dynamic to have a number of these good prospects playing together earlier & developing chemistry as they mature & learn the NA game & Sen's systems.

He's already got good size to handle the bigger players, he's a good skater & should be able to adapt quickly to the speed of the game & he's got a nice skillset & shot to be able to produce some pts with decent linemates. If he stays in Europe to develop further that would be fine too, but the sooner they bring him over the better for him & the sooner the Sens recognize what they have in this guy & where best to play him.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'm not familiar enough with Jarventie to know what his ESL skills are like. Finns usually don't have problems with this, guys like Pulujarvi are the exception and not the rule for Scandinavian players though. Most of these guys are learning English at a very young age in school unlike Russians (where it is becoming more common to learn a second language but not as widespread as mainland Europe).

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Ridley Greig gets his 2nd assist on the night, on the winning goal in OT

STARS OF THE GAME

27966.jpg

FIRST
Ridly Greig
Brandon

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
This last draft haul is looking excellent so far.
(Although some pretty good players taken after Greig and jarventie...and Kleven. Time will tell)

Last edited:
Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Wasn't he not even listed by a lot of scouting groups? Good on Dorion and his crew for spotting him
Sens were likely hoping to get Blomqvist, but when watching him, Merilainen likely jumped out as a guy who is being held back by playing behind a guy like Blomqvist. Pens to Blomqvist with the Sens pick we traded for Murray as well.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad